Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

pipe for touring car

Old 07-18-2007, 03:14 AM
ELITE913

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pipe for touring car

do they make hard anodized pipes for touring cars? if they dont hat is a good durable pipe for touring cars? also will putting jb weld on a pipe effect the performance? thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 AM
HeLLsGoD

Default RE: pipe for touring car

Look for vantage carbon fiber pipes, their a little pricey but they do the job. Very strong and the stinger is reinforced.

Yes putting jb weld on pipes to try and fix it will affect performance
Old 07-18-2007, 10:17 AM
ferrarimk13

what he said
Old 07-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Suprachrgd82

Though Vantage pipes are very nice, they have a much shorter lifespan. It will likely outlast your engine, but crashes will cause irreversible damage to it. Heat and vibration take their toll on the laminated, woven carbon, thus shortening the lifespan.

Shop arount for a pipe, and get a name brand. Picco Ripple pipes and 2-chamber pipes often offer the best performance.

Do you homework on the effects of pipe shape and length on engine performance, and purchase according to what will suit your needs.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 AM
ferrarimk13

have you seen the vantage website? the carbon pipe is much stronger than aluminum or any metal pipes, watch the video of it hitting the aluminum pipe, watch what happens. The vantage pipe also resists heat a lot better. www.vantageracing.com
Old 07-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Suprachrgd82

What is Vantage's job? To sell their products. Of course they will will tell you their products are superior.

My feedback is based upon the experiences of the crew at UltimateHobbies, who run the pipes, and routinely replace them.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with Vantage carbon pipes, so I am told (no personal experience, I'm just passing the info on), is that a pipe needs to retain heat to work properly, so by virtue of the fact that carbon is a heat resistant material, it's not the ideal thing to make pipes out of. If you search around the buggy and truggy forums, you'll find most people have noticed decreased performance.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 AM
ferrarimk13

oh, okay, they didnt just say it supercharged, they used to have a video but i dont know where it is. I guess its not a performance option, but it looks nice to me, so i bought it, what the heck, anyways, i also heard the mugen pipes are alright
Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 PM
ELITE913

but do they make hard anodized ones? and how does jb weld effect performance?
Old 07-18-2007, 05:05 PM
ferrarimk13

mugen is coming out with a titanium pipe which is really strong, and i think there current one is anodized but im not sure. As for the JW weld, i dont really know what that is, so i cant tell you anything about that
Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey "foxy42" if it needs to retain heat than wouldn't plastic be as good as aluminum?? aluminum heats fast and cools fast, carbon resists heat, plastic stays hot for a long time.

now does the heat need to be contained IN the pipe? or does it need to radiate? i wonder if i wrap the pipe in aluminum foil will i increase internal heat or would i make a radiator doing the exact opposet?

no one person has all the answers, but, you know alot.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Suprachrgd82

Aluminum actually has a greater molecular weight than plastic. This means it is more dense thaqn plastic. This means it will retain heat more plastic. Perhaps you are referring to insulative properties. One reason behind the use of aluminum is it rigidity.
The reason behind thia is:
As the engine fires into the exhaust chamber, it produces a sound wave. This sound wave is "echoed" at the opposite end of the pipe. When the echo reaches the combustion chamer it creates pressure, forcing air-fuel back into the chamber. The effect this produces is similar to supercharging. This is where the phrase "on the pipe" comes from in 2-stroke lingo.

Wrapping in aluminum depends on how you wrap. If there is a greater air space than contact area on the pipe, it will be an insulator. If these is more contact area, it will function as a heatsink.

As far as the pipe requiring heat, I have never heard this, nor see any physical reason it is important.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:23 PM
HeLLsGoD

I dont think it has anything to do with retaining heat, all pipes do is redirect exhaust pressure into chamber and exits. Vantage pipes are made out of a composite material, which makes it heat and vibration proof.

Ive heard alot of good feedback from REAL vantage pipe owners which have first hand experience, although some of them do say it holds out on performance a little compared to aluminium ones, its durability and looks make up for it.

Heres the info and videos of torture tests they have done to the pipe [link]http://www.vantageracing.com/site/v2-knowledge.html[/link]. Watch the vantage pipe smash the alumium pipe with 0 damage on the vantage one

Theres a few owners here of vantage pipes im sure they can give some feedback...
Old 07-18-2007, 07:36 PM
The_Shark

good for them, i would never pay $90 for a pipe!. i would rather spend that on fuel, on a better engine or tires. yikes![X(]

i think the reason for a hot pipe is that when air is hot, it moves faster and the volume is much greater. so i figure that the sonic echo effect is amplifide because there is more of a bounce back from a large volume of highly heated gas. but the cooler the air is coming into the engine improves the proformance. because cooler air is more dence, so when it gets sucked into the engine it is very dence giving you a lot more air in a given volume.

so its like in with the cool, out with the hot.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 PM
ELITE913

but will jb weld effect the performance?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:15 PM
fox222

ORIGINAL: ELITE913

but will jb weld effect the performance?
Not if you are fixing a crack or the like. As long as you do not change the shape of the chamber. I have fixed many an exhaust system with JB WELD. Make sure you clean and roughen the area first.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:32 PM
fox222

This is from one of my books on tuned pipes.
The speed of sound within the exhaust system is dependent upon the EGT ( exhaust gas temperature). The higher the temperature the longer the pipe length must be for a given rpm.. EGT will vary with these factors..Stinger diameter, Pipe alloy, Fuel needle setting, Fuel mix.
When I raced boats we tried some carbon pipes and they just didn't perform as well as aluminum and they break easily so they didn't last long.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 AM
The_Shark

sounds to me like "bling"
Old 07-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: HeLLsGoD

I dont think it has anything to do with retaining heat, all pipes do is redirect exhaust pressure into chamber and exits. Vantage pipes are made out of a composite material, which makes it heat and vibration proof.

Ive heard alot of good feedback from REAL vantage pipe owners which have first hand experience, although some of them do say it holds out on performance a little compared to aluminium ones, its durability and looks make up for it.

Heres the info and videos of torture tests they have done to the pipe [link]http://www.vantageracing.com/site/v2-knowledge.html[/link]. Watch the vantage pipe smash the alumium pipe with 0 damage on the vantage one

Theres a few owners here of vantage pipes im sure they can give some feedback...
It DOES have to do with retaining heat, you admitted yourself that the performance is not quite up to par... See technical explanation above.

As for durability and looks making up for performance, that's a very personal opinion that I and most racers do not share. I'll stick with pipes purposefully designed to enhance the characteristics of my racing engines.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 AM
ferrarimk13

some people like different things instead of the usual, i personally like the vantage pipe. I see a lot of people race it at my track and they say the most power it robs is hundreths or thousandths of hp and torque (not much). I should be getting it on my car sometime this week, and ill tell you how it goes.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Foxy

Cool, I'd be interested...
Old 07-19-2007, 11:21 AM
The_Shark

im thinking about getting a ribbed pipe.... eventually.

say, what car is it going on?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:44 PM
ferrarimk13

im not sure if you're asking me but im putting it on the RS4, they have one made for it with the side exhaust.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:42 PM
HeLLsGoD

It DOES have to do with retaining heat, you admitted yourself that the performance is not quite up to par... See technical explanation above.

As for durability and looks making up for performance, that's a very personal opinion that I and most racers do not share. I'll stick with pipes purposefully designed to enhance the characteristics of my racing engines.
I admitted that it doesnt perform as well as aluminium pipes, just a slight difference. It still has nothing to do with heat... so your trying to say the hotter the pipe the faster my car will be?

Id rather buy a pipe that will last longer than a pipe that can get bent after a few races. Theres a difference between a bent expensive aluminium pipe and one that will take alot of hits. Save alot of money in the long run.

Anyway I just got my tax refund back today . Im thinking of buying the TZ + vantage pipe setup, im still awaiting for my Venom NR3D to arrive in my LHS [:@]
Old 07-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Foxy

No, I did not say the hotter the pipe, the faster your car will be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.