Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

help with 18TZ..please

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:58 PM
ferrarimk13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with 18TZ..please

hey guys, i finally felt like breaking in my engine, but the problem is that no matter how many times i try, and what i do, this thing will not start. Besides the fact that it always feels flooded (even though its not), it will not even get the sound like its about to start. i finally gave up after about 4 blisters on my pointer finger, so im asking if anyone knows what i should do. Oh, and i tried all combinations of fuel going into the carb, but it was no use.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:50 PM
GYNAIKAS

Default RE: help with 18TZ..please

Glow plug dude it's the glow plug! After break-in most of the engine destroy the initial glow plug. Get a new one and be sure the voltage is enough to give the heat needed...the only way is to check it by removing it from the engine and watching if it glows well.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:07 AM
ferrarimk13

i checked and it does, it couldnt burn out yet, i didnt even get it started once! thats the problem, its not starting, but the glow plug is good.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:50 AM
almtx3

Does the engine have a pull start or are you using a starter box?

We would need to start ruling things out one by one starting by the easiest things first in hopes that its one of those things. GYNAIKAS was right with checking the plug. If you say its still glowing then move on to the igniter, is it fully charged? Sometimes the igniter will have just enough juice to make the plug glow in your hands but once its in the engine its not hot enough to start the car. If your igniter is charged then make sure you have no air leaks or cracks in your fuel line. I always use new lines with a new engine. If you are already using new lines then make sure you are using good fuel. Fuel can sometimes get stale. If you are using good fuel then its time to move on to the carb.

Did the engine come with any instructions? Do you have the carb factory settings? Here is a great article that can help if you dont have factory settings:

http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm

You might want to contact O.S. and see if they can give you the factory settings. If they do give them to you or you already have them then re set them and try again.

O.S. engines have a good reputation for being easy to start and tune so don't get frustrated, it could be something simple.

If all of this still doesn't work then you might want to re-seal the carb. You could have an air leak. Good luck and let us know if it fires up.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 AM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ferrarimk13

i checked and it does, it couldnt burn out yet, i didnt even get it started once! thats the problem, its not starting, but the glow plug is good.

here is a little tip jsut becuase a glow plug lights up doesnt mean its good.......especialy during break in.....

if u wanna REALLY KNOW if a plug is good here is a trick very few people know put the plug on the ignitor once u see the cheery light up BLOW ON IT with ur mouth (not touching it ofcrouse) and see what happens............if it dims out ur plug is bad..........ud be surpirsed how many people dont know that and have problems.......check that out and see what happens

also try heating up the motor before it starts......most GOOD MOTORS will eat up plug left and right during break in.......my novarossi 528 ate 4 plugs during breaking in so i cost me 40 dollars in plugs just to get the dam thing broken in.....(it rusn of turbo plugs about 10 bucks a pop) so check that.....

also heat up the motor before u even try to start it up ud be surprised how often this helps AND loosen up the glow plug from the motor so there is less compertion when u go to turn it on.........let it blow fuel out of the glow plug hole like crazy till u see it temps up and then tighten it!!!

let us know how it goes!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:04 PM
GT100
My Feedback: (1)

Are you sure you have a TZ? I didnt know TZs came with pullstarts as to why you have blisters. If its indeed a TZ without a pullstart, check the rotation of the motor as well. I usually take the plug out (after making sure the plug is good) and then turn the motor over for a few seconds. Put the plug back in and it usually starts right up.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:02 PM
GYNAIKAS

I forgot to mention that after brake in, you should remove the oil that has stucked into the pipe (remove and clean the pipe...you'll get surprized from what you're gonna see!!!)...after 1-2 days without firing up the engine, oil stiffens and maybe that's your problem.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:41 PM
ferrarimk13

[link=http://osengines.com/engines/osmg2110.html]yup there a pullstart[/link] and everything is new on the car, i dont see how it can be the plug if it didnt even fire once yet, it didnt even reach the point where it seems like its going to start. The fuel is new, the line is new, and i did heat it up, which helped a lot. i have a question about the plug though, do turbo plugs need a spacer on it, or is that only for normal plugs. Also, im using the settings as it came out of the box, which should atleast start it, and then tune from there.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:42 PM
ferrarimk13

how much fuel should i prime into the engine? i usually press the primer 20 times, or blow into the lines for 2-3 seconds
Old 09-14-2007, 02:28 AM
GYNAIKAS

ORIGINAL: ferrarimk13

how much fuel should i prime into the engine? i usually press the primer 20 times, or blow into the lines for 2-3 seconds
[:-] then your problem is overflooding. Listen to me. Remove the glow plug and pullstart hard so that the engine spits out the fuel. remove the pipe and clean it from oil. When fuel just reaches the carb intake then press 2-3 times more (maximum 3 times!!). Or do it the racing way. Tap the exaust hole with your finger and pullstart until fuel just reaches the carb intake. Then pullstart 1-2 times maximum, install the igniter and fire it up. Everytime you try to fire up a flooded engine recheck the glow plug cause in that case is much vulnerable.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:00 AM
ferrarimk13

i know if its flooded or not, but nothing spits out of the plug [link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=A2acLGnQGIE]this is why i primed it that much, i thought i needed to, lol[/link]
Old 09-14-2007, 03:08 PM
ferrarimk13

good news guys! im breaking in the engine as i type, and im only into my second tank. It was a pain first agian, because it was idling too high, and if i lowered the idle just a tinnnny bit, it would stall, so the low end is set fine, but once im done, ill try the high, and im pretty sure ill have to lean the hsn a little bit, so it doesnt stall out, right?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:43 PM
dark_lightning108

y dont u just lean it a lil so u can get the engine to a desirable idle?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:50 PM
ferrarimk13

if i lean it out, itll idle even higher.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:51 PM
ferrarimk13

did you break in your fw-05 or did you just run it lighting? if you did, how many tanks did you put in?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:52 PM
dark_lightning108

i mean lean it out so that u can close the carb to ur desired idle speed. lees fuel means less air needed..am i wrong?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:56 PM
dark_lightning108

i broke it in. it was fully broken in after about 8 tanks. but i ended up fully tuning it up at about 20 tanks..lol..i used the heat cycling method plus just slowly increasing throttle every tank or so..so like the first tank, dont past 1/4 throttle. then the second tank dont past 1/2 throttle. and so on. n remember, slow squeezes of the trigger..
Old 09-14-2007, 04:47 PM
ferrarimk13

i broke in my other 2 engines with no problems ( a .26 and .05) but the idle was a little too high, but i ran about 4 tanks at idle, and only bliped the throttle like twice to clear the carb up, i started doing little 1/4 throttle runs, and this thing was already doing a good 30 mph! it was blinding in acceleration. Eventually, i leaned it out a little, and the full throttle revs were amazing, it was so clear, and high pitched, and the wheels were breaking hell. I didnt run it on the ground full throttle (or 1/2 throttle) yet, because, if i did, id reach the fence in about 1/10th of a second, lol
Old 09-14-2007, 04:58 PM
dark_lightning108

good news bout the engine man..thinking about gettin a 18 cv-r for my 3 evo..can afford the extra bucks for the tz..
Old 09-14-2007, 05:17 PM
ferrarimk13

ill tell you this much, the cv-r is a lot more user friendly than the tz, and honestly, not everyone needs the extra power. Which car do u like more your kyosho or the hpi?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:25 PM
dark_lightning108

definitely my kyosho..in more ways than one..handling is superb plus the out of box adjustability is really amazing. and well im a novice driving and i beat two 3 evos, a cen ct5 and came in second to a ntc3 plus (but the driver was the best in the club there so go figure) lol..so i think stock (which is all i can give my opinion on) i rather my kyosho..i love it.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:28 PM
ferrarimk13

oh, cool, yeah, the rs4 isnt all that great out of the box, but with some hopups, its super competitive, and can be tuned well, but i hope u have fun with the kyosho anyways!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:13 PM
dark_lightning108

yea thnx man, and all the best with the new engine!!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:34 AM
ferrarimk13

thanks, its raining today, so im not going to get in a few more tanks, so ill hve to wait.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:47 PM
ferrarimk13

so the tide changes, it stopped, and it dried up, so i got in two tanks of 1/4 throttle driving, which is pretty fast , and i noticed that this thing handles great! is it usual that the car idles for 25 minutes? i finally times a tank, and thats the result.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.