Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

homemade Dyno thingy

Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 PM
da mad maori

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default homemade Dyno thingy

thinking of building one. you know the thing with the rollers on it? not so much to record HP or revs more so to tune the car while its stationary.... fault finding....trouble shooting... etc
hence it'll need some sort of "friction replicater"

has anyone attempted this before? how did you get the friction right?.. im thinking of a couple of ways..... water in the rollers.... adjustable magnets for repel-ation (if that aint a word, then i just invented it. "patent pending")

there are probably commercial ones avalible but if we all brought things and not built things how will any sport/hobby/interests/life evolve?

anyways building the rollers, frame, tiedowns, etc will be easy.... replicating road friction will not be so easy....
any ideas ????

senario; your at a two day race event, you tune your car perfectly to the track and to the 18 degree day..... you win the race. chicks are all over you, pop open the large wine bottle on the petistall spray all your pit crew and the other winners , smiling away, lifes good.........
you get back to your hotel room, do a heap of interveiws then its time to party.......

you wake up the next morning with a hangover, slept through the alarm ,your late for the next race!!!! jump in the limo, get down to the track and have everything ready just in time..... but you just notice its 32 degress today.... your car will not run right ,you have no track time to retune.......
put it on ya rolly machine tune it in 3 mins!!!!!!

Like i said any ideasz??
Cheers
Old 12-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Foxy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: homemade Dyno thingy

Rolling roads (cos that's what you're talking about, a dyno is just a piece of computer software) are only used to stress test cars or to produce dyno figures. The thing is, unlike an RC car, you can't pick up a real car and just run it with wheels off the ground. Also, most people don't want to remove their engines to dyno them (as you can with an RC car), so the purpose of the rolling road is just to A) provide somewhere the torque can go without moving the car, and B) record HP at the wheels.

Running a car on a rolling road is not going to help you tune anything, not even the engine, as without airflow it will overheat rapidly (unless you can rig up a fan to provide realistic airflow, somehow hook it up to the rolling road, so air resistance increases proportinately, another headache of calculations for you). Nice idea, but impractical I'm afraid.

There aren't any commercial ones, for the reasons above. By the way, if you want chicks... you're in the wrong hobby my friend. Chicks look at these, no matter how much you spend on them and say 'Oooh, a toy car' and then continue planning their next shopping trip. (Reiko, you are the wonderful exception if you read this).

Build one far a laugh. It won't have any practical purpose whatsoever, but it will be cool, somehow.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM
da mad maori

mmm ok not looking good so far... creating airflow relitive to the car speed, ive done before with gas boats... yes it was a head ache for a while but i found an easy fairly accurate way to do so.... im not an avid racer simply a basher that wants an average tune to suit a wide range of air temps... so a 90% perfect tune would suit me fine... i wouldnt really use an extra 3 or so kph extra from a track tuned car...( i know it'll mean the differnce between winning and losing to the pro racers)

cheers Foxy. i think i will build one for fun and if i get any interesting findings or relative results i will post them up

if all cars were pink with sheepskin seat covers and first prize was an all day shopping binge, THEN this hobby will be the place to score

Cheers
any other ideas?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:31 PM
da mad maori

something similar to this

http://www.rcdynosystems.com/

but without the HP, rev, testing just a load with calabrated fan in front
Old 12-22-2007, 07:10 PM
dakota_davies