Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Going on a diet, need ideas.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going on a diet, need ideas.

Just like the title says, I want to shed as much weight as I can on my ultra gtp2. The only idea I have right now is losing the mud gaurds since right now it stays off the dirt and doesn't need them. I really need some ideas, but my budget is basically 0$ for awhile. I don't want to go dremeling the chassis yet, but can drill/dremel anything else that wont weaken it to much, or remove unneeded parts. Start throwing me some ideas if you can, no matter how crazy it sounds. I'm open to suggestions from all!
Old 06-26-2008, 12:45 AM

Default RE: Going on a diet, need ideas.

The only thing you could possible get rid of is the pullstart if your engine has one but that wont offer any better performance at all + you will need a starter box. The only way to make car lighter is to replace some parts (usually the upper deck) with carbon ones and replace all the existing screws with titanium ones. Also try some foams cause they are the lighter tires out there with the best grip.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:32 AM

try to add as much graphite to your car as possible. the ounce's add up. try a lighter pipe. maybe if possible a new engine. one that uses like a starter box.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM

I'd say take off bits which aren't needed
Like bumpers, covers etc
Also, even though you seem against it, maybe cheesegrating the chassis
Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 PM

Bumper and cover are THE MOST important things for protecton during crashes. Not to mention that you won't notice any difference.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:52 PM

Actually considering bumpers etc are in an "overhang" state on the car, it should become more responsive as if it say ways 20 grams, to get that weight to change direction would be a lot more difficult than 20 grams near the wheels

Anyway, maybe in RC terms this wont make a difference (I don't know) but in real cars overhang is a real issue.
Have a look at BMW's, how close the front wheels are to the most forward part of the car
+ why all sports FR cars have the engine place as far back to the firewall as possible
Some 4 Cyls (like Honda S2000 and Nissan 200SX) actually have the engine sitting almost fully behind the wheels (not full, but the 1st cylinder is about where the wheels are)
Old 06-26-2008, 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Spetz

+ why all sports FR cars have the engine place as far back to the firewall as possible
Some 4 Cyls (like Honda S2000 and Nissan 200SX) actually have the engine sitting almost fully behind the wheels (not full, but the 1st cylinder is about where the wheels are)
That's one of the high points of my car, the compactness of the rotary engine allows it to sit behind the front cross member.

For cutting down on weight, you could replicate any flat piece of aluminum (preferably non-structural) with fiberglass. It would be very easy to replicate the upper chassis in flat fiberglass (or CF if you want to get fancy) I was planning on buying a GTP myself, and this was on my list of mods. If you wanted to, you could lay up your own glass, and make as many or as few layers as you want, and cut out the pieces once the glass cures. If you wanted to keep the dust pans, you could use them to make a mold, and make a thin, single layer (or double) copy of the stock plastics out of fiber glass.

Another option (and more expensive) would be to switch to a lithium battery with a regulator (actually I think they make 6.0v lithium pack for planes now, I have no idea, I've been out of the hobby for a few years now). When I switched to a lithium pack in my BRP, the run times were incredible, and the batteries are much lighter. You need to buy a special charger for that though.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:00 PM

Some good ideas. Already using foams as usual. Using a different pipe and engine, mach 427 with jp2. Might carve out a good chunk from the middle of the foam bumper, it is about 1.5 inch thick and close to 10 inches wide I think. Maybe leave 1 or 2 inches around perimeter and hollow out the rest. Also the bumper bottom plate is thick and HUGE. I think I could lose alot from the center of it as well. Really happy with performance now, but as always, looking to improve where I can.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:13 PM

well take as much weight off as possible the front, but leave a little on the rear so when you acclerate hard there weight on the rear tires so you dont just get wheel spin. if you dont agree with me do some reasearch.