RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Steering issue

Old 08-25-2008, 05:55 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issue

Hello,

I just put brand new tires on my Street Force GP and even before the new tires I have had an issue with my steering axle. While driving it normally, it acts normal, but when I give it 80%-100% real quick from a stop or from a roll, then the steering axle BUCKLES like crazy going from left to right real fast by itself.

Everything is tight and I know this because I just put it back together a week or so ago. Could it be the servo saver or w/e it's called? Should it be tighter or looser?

The steering servo is an after-market high-torque Traxas servo that's never been hit, or splashed with water or anything like that.

Any ideas?

dan
Old 08-25-2008, 06:30 PM
CBM Racing

Default RE: Steering issue

Sounds like the servo saver could be maybe a little tighter. Never seen the streetforce gp in person so I don't know what kind of saver it uses, but you should be able to tighten it somehow with either a stronger or more clips on it if it is the kind that attaches to the servo. If it is the built in kind that is part of the steering assembly you should be able to increase spring tension somehow. It is also possibly the front suspension arms flexing from the torque the wheels are putting to the ground, so when the diff unloads the power to one wheel and it catches traction it pulls the wheels that way, then the other side does it, and so on back and forth. This is more common on overpowered vehicles with loose diffs. Last option is when you gun it, the battery voltage level drops momentarily causing a low voltage glitch. This happens more if you are using 4aa batteries instead of a 5 cell nimh pack. You can check this by holding the car in the air and gunning it for short bursts. Obviously, don't hold it wide open with no load. So there are a couple options and fixes, let us know how it goes! By the way, how does the car handle? My bro may be interested in a new car and was wondering how it performed.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:49 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: CBM Racing

Sounds like the servo saver could be maybe a little tighter. Never seen the streetforce gp in person so I don't know what kind of saver it uses, but you should be able to tighten it somehow with either a stronger or more clips on it if it is the kind that attaches to the servo. If it is the built in kind that is part of the steering assembly you should be able to increase spring tension somehow. It is also possibly the front suspension arms flexing from the torque the wheels are putting to the ground, so when the diff unloads the power to one wheel and it catches traction it pulls the wheels that way, then the other side does it, and so on back and forth. This is more common on overpowered vehicles with loose diffs. Last option is when you gun it, the battery voltage level drops momentarily causing a low voltage glitch. This happens more if you are using 4aa batteries instead of a 5 cell nimh pack. You can check this by holding the car in the air and gunning it for short bursts. Obviously, don't hold it wide open with no load. So there are a couple options and fixes, let us know how it goes! By the way, how does the car handle? My bro may be interested in a new car and was wondering how it performed.
I have the saver that is built into the steering assembly, so I will just tighten it up some.

Over-powered...yes...lol 18SS motor with a ported header, weight reduction, and low-end gearing. The diffs. aren't too loose. I made sure that when I was putting it back together that when I was spinning one wheel, the other would be spinning the opposite way and almost grabbing enough to make all four wheels spin. (I did the same for front/rear, but a little tighter in the rear..obviously ball diffs.)

I do run AA batteries and the guy from my LHS said something similar, but I thought he was full of it because I figured *** could that do with a crazy steering rack?! lol I know that these batteries still have good juice in them, and I still don't see how WOT causing slight low voltage could cause that crazy buckling.

This car handles pretty amazingly, but then again...the weight distribution, center of gravity, and shocks are all different. I believe that I have the shock bodies from the GP2 with springs from HPI. Black up front and redish in the back. stiff/softer. I had to put some spacers in the rear springs because it would sag too much off the slightest bumps and the weight of the SS would make it scrape quite a bit. Carbon fiber front/rear towers and deck=solid and light. I also have the extremely light AA Energizer batteries that are like 30-40% lighter, and I can definitely feel a difference!

The transmission/gearing is pretty solid, but I don't like the 2-shoe that comes with it and there aren't any after-market aluminum shoes

I would say to either get this or the RS4 EVO+
Old 08-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: CBM Racing

I have the saver that is built into the steering assembly, so I will just tighten it up some.

Over-powered...yes...lol 18SS motor with a ported header, weight reduction, and low-end gearing. The diffs. aren't too loose. I made sure that when I was putting it back together that when I was spinning one wheel, the other would be spinning the opposite way and almost grabbing enough to make all four wheels spin. (I did the same for front/rear, but a little tighter in the rear..obviously ball diffs.)

I do run AA batteries and the guy from my LHS said something similar, but I thought he was full of it because I figured *** could that do with a crazy steering rack?! lol I know that these batteries still have good juice in them, and I still don't see how WOT causing slight low voltage could cause that crazy buckling.

This car handles pretty amazingly, but then again...the weight distribution, center of gravity, and shocks are all different. I believe that I have the shock bodies from the GP2 with springs from HPI. Black up front and redish in the back. stiff/softer. I had to put some spacers in the rear springs because it would sag too much off the slightest bumps and the weight of the SS would make it scrape quite a bit. Carbon fiber front/rear towers and deck=solid and light. I also have the extremely light AA Energizer batteries that are like 30-40% lighter, and I can definitely feel a difference!

The transmission/gearing is pretty solid, but I don't like the 2-shoe that comes with it and there aren't any after-market aluminum shoes

I would say to either get this or the RS4 EVO+
Yeh, AA batteries are near useless when you start putting a lot of power through the front wheels. It's not so much the voltage, it's more the current delivery. The dry cells just can't give as much grunt to the servo. Upgrading to a proper receiver pack will transorm the handling, believe me. It's the most overlooked upgrade. Number of times I see people with $100 servos on the steering, and still using AA batteries, makes me cry. The servos will be 20% faster and stronger with just this change. ALWAYS should be the nitro user's FIRST upgrade.

As for aftermarket clutches, I don't see why you couldn't put a racing centax on there... There are many clutches that will fit almost any engine shaft/layout.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:27 AM
rc rock

even 4.8 v wet batts will give you better performance than the dry cells
Old 08-26-2008, 06:40 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

hmmmm How much will a decent set-up with battery hump pack and a good charger cost me? I may as well get one for my Savage as well, so how much would all of that run me? How long would the charge last on one of the packs? How fast can they be charged? How many times can they be re-charged?
Old 08-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Spetz

Maybe a driveshaft is bent?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:45 AM
rc rock

a good hump pack and charger will cost you $30, it' ll last the whole day. i dont now how long it would take to charge cause i use a normal nimh charger. it takes half an hour....
Old 08-26-2008, 08:27 AM
oneofakindtrini

ORIGINAL: Spetz

Maybe a driveshaft is bent?
when you said the driveshaft was bent were you talkin to the sfgp guy.. cause his Duratrax is belt driven..
Old 08-26-2008, 11:36 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

I guess I'll have to look into some good hump packs then.

Are they pretty reliable and consistent?

thanks for the input guys!

And yes, my car is belt driven
Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 AM
rc rock

look into a decent brand of bats. i use Stickman.

as i said they last a whole race day.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:31 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

I just got a 5-cell hump pack 1600mah for $20 from Team Orion. I'll see how that goes, and I may buy two more and return the $32 Ofna 1700mah
Old 08-27-2008, 08:51 AM
CBM Racing

I would keep the 1700mah pack for the savage as it uses more power to turn the bigger wheels in the dirt. I use a 1400mah pack on my lst2 and with 3 servos(2 digital)it only lasts about 1 1/2 hrs. So you I would use it in there. Did it solve the issue for you though?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

I actually haven't run the batteries yet since I just got them yesterday. Also, it turns out that I don't have a shim where I should in one of the steering areas and that pretty much causes "wheel-hop" if you will.

My Savage is NITRO though...I figure I may as well get 2 1600 for $8 more than the 1700