Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

yokomo or hpi? help!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yokomo or hpi? help!

hey guys im new to the hobby and i wanted a little insight. im looking at the hpi rtr nitro rs4 3 and the yokomo MR-4TC SD. what would be a better buy for a noob like me. i prefer building the kit my self so i get a better understanding of the rc car. in any case im just looking for options and opinions from guys who know the hobby. thanks for your time. -Peter
Old 08-28-2008, 04:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: yokomo or hpi? help!

The HPI is better supported, more parts, and more after market. I would definitely recommend the HPI to a beginner over the yokomo. Don't get me wrong, the yokomo is also a great car, but HPI will be easier all round, and more rewarding to start with.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 AM

Hey P3T3rc

I have an HPI Nitro RS4 Evo 3+ and it is a very fast car, HPI is very well supported in most hobby shops with parts, had it well over a year and had no parts break or bend. Even now the oneway bearing is hanging on in there. Parts are quite cheap And if you get tired of racing at full speed then you can always buy a set of drift wheels and do some sideways action ... it wont handle like the HPI RS4 Drift (engine mounted in a diff place and set up etc) but it still a lot of fun. If you like to build it your self then i think they still sell the SS kit version which comes with some upgrades as standard. But there is not a lot of upgrades as a whole for this model and requires some searching. Or if you know someone who can make them.

Hope that this helps you
Old 08-28-2008, 08:56 AM

P3Terc do you want nitro because the yokomo is electric and even if you want that itz a competition car.. if you want the build it your self version of the RS4 get the 18ss+, but you will need you own radio gear..
Old 08-28-2008, 11:05 AM
My Feedback: (20)

I would defenetly go with the Rs4 over a Yokomo.I have 3 Rs4's and couldn't be happier with the cars.They perform well there durable for a basher and the nitro star motors tune easily and run like a champ.Parts are readily avaliable at most hobby shops and hpi support is awsome if you need them for anything.The Rs4 has a ton of hop ups which is a plus and the car is pretty tough which is a good thing for a newbe or a seasoned vet.If you wanna build it the 18 ss+ is the way to go,becouse it has better bevel gears so adding a monster motor is not a problem if you decied to go bigger.Get the RS4 it's a great car with a huge following and parts are everywhere.Good luck and welcome to the board.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:52 PM

hey guys thanks for all the information. ive decided not to go with the yokomo and will get an hpi.
241: is the 18ss+ the only one you can build? because i wanted to stay with the drift model from hpi. please let me know. thanks again.