Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
 Crashed the CD3 today.............dang it! >

Crashed the CD3 today.............dang it!

Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Crashed the CD3 today.............dang it!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crashed the CD3 today.............dang it!

CBM, you are right. My car(s) are pretty stable at high speeds but this mishap was just unfortunate. I ordered the new CD3 Friday and with the Holiday here Monday, I will get the car Wednesday and take it apart to use the chassis from the old car. That chassis is perfectly fine and not bent at all and is already lightened. I have no other immediate changes to do since the car was a BEAST like it was. I just have to get new CVD's and wheel hubs made up and I am golden again.

I broke in the RBmodded Picco P3 in my DM-1 yesterday getting a full gallon thru it and heat cycling it good. I have never had a Picco P3 of my own but man I will say this, I am MORE than in awe (with my mouth open) at how strong this motor is especially when it gets up on itself. I will strap it to my Pro-Mod car and perhaps even the CD3 to see how well it moves a 2.8lb. car. I know what the .21's are doing in a car that light but DAMN, that P3 sure does seem like it is producing ALOT more bottom end and not suffering on the top either. BTW, the Picco is still rich with the highest reading that I got of 210 all day. I did lean it out a little and it responded like I figured but still wasn't getting leaner as far as the temps go. I will keep at it a little more at a time but also checking to make sure all the pinch is gone so that the motor can come into it's timing fully. It's definately showing promise.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:49 PM

Hey Brent when you were running your Nitro-TC3 with the .21 in it did you have any problems with the tranny shifting too fast?? My tranny speed shifts into second hardly staying in 1st gear at all. Brent this Lrp motor I call the howling Wolf because when it comes on the pipe it howls!! A friend of mine modded it for me and it has ridiculous topend.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:05 PM

hm, thats not that bad, but it still sucks. with your cooling head, how is it lower than the glow plug? or is that the crankshaft case's cooling fins?
Old 08-31-2008, 08:21 PM

nitrohead, I used stiffer springs in the clutch shoes and that helped it shift later than the regular springs from the standard NTC3 springs.

ferrari, what you see is just the head button bolted right to the motor.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Brent Davis

CBM, you are right. My car(s) are pretty stable at high speeds but this mishap was just unfortunate. I ordered the new CD3 Friday and with the Holiday here Monday, I will get the car Wednesday and take it apart to use the chassis from the old car. That chassis is perfectly fine and not bent at all and is already lightened. I have no other immediate changes to do since the car was a BEAST like it was. I just have to get new CVD's and wheel hubs made up and I am golden again.

I broke in the RBmodded Picco P3 in my DM-1 yesterday getting a full gallon thru it and heat cycling it good. I have never had a Picco P3 of my own but man I will say this, I am MORE than in awe (with my mouth open) at how strong this motor is especially when it gets up on itself. I will strap it to my Pro-Mod car and perhaps even the CD3 to see how well it moves a 2.8lb. car. I know what the .21's are doing in a car that light but DAMN, that P3 sure does seem like it is producing ALOT more bottom end and not suffering on the top either. BTW, the Picco is still rich with the highest reading that I got of 210 all day. I did lean it out a little and it responded like I figured but still wasn't getting leaner as far as the temps go. I will keep at it a little more at a time but also checking to make sure all the pinch is gone so that the motor can come into it's timing fully. It's definately showing promise.

I love the P3 28's.... especially the modified ones............. did RB actually re-time the sleeve ports, or is it still stock sleeve timing ? my RB Mods Mod P3 28 still has stock sleeve timing.....the P3 28's have 46 degrees blowdown timing which limits top end and makes it a torque motor...upping blowdown to 52 degrees massively adds top end tot he motors, but it requires port cutting to acheive
Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: supertib
I love the P3 28's.... especially the modified ones............. did RB actually re-time the sleeve ports, or is it still stock sleeve timing ? my RB Mods Mod P3 28 still has stock sleeve timing.....the P3 28's have 46 degrees blowdown timing which limits top end and makes it a torque motor...upping blowdown to 52 degrees massively adds top end tot he motors, but it requires port cutting to acheive
LMAO tib. You are asking me chit I know NOTHING about bro. Basically it's chinese to me and I can't speak chinese for chit.

I can take some photos of it if that would help tell you anything. This thing is an animal man even if it is not to what you know would make it faster, it is just plain sick for an off-road motor.

supertib, I will say this as well. In the drag race community, the guys frown on .28 and larger motors because they say that they can't compete in the high RPM revs of the .21 motors. I understand what they are saying in the respect that the .28 motors have a larger piston which limits top end over a .21 but I beg the differ to an extent. They also point out the fact that say the Picco .28 motors basically can be bought for $200 or less but take a .21 Novarossi and you can easily get into the $500+ range without port work. The .21 motors get all the technology from what I hear but my take now is to get a Xenon Alfa carburetor since they are a whopping 9mm and have it milled down to fit the Picco P3 plus the Alfa carb is a billet aluminum piece. I think that the Picco with the absolute best and optimum port job, boat pipe and larger aluminum carburetor, that it could run quicker and faster than a .21 in 132' drag race.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Brent Davis

LMAO tib. You are asking me chit I know NOTHING about bro. Basically it's chinese to me and I can't speak chinese for chit.

I can take some photos of it if that would help tell you anything. This thing is an animal man even if it is not to what you know would make it faster, it is just plain sick for an off-road motor.

supertib, I will say this as well. In the drag race community, the guys frown on .28 and larger motors because they say that they can't compete in the high RPM revs of the .21 motors. I understand what they are saying in the respect that the .28 motors have a larger piston which limits top end over a .21 but I beg the differ to an extent. They also point out the fact that say the Picco .28 motors basically can be bought for $200 or less but take a .21 Novarossi and you can easily get into the $500+ range without port work. The .21 motors get all the technology from what I hear but my take now is to get a Xenon Alfa carburetor since they are a whopping 9mm and have it milled down to fit the Picco P3 plus the Alfa carb is a billet aluminum piece. I think that the Picco with the absolute best and optimum port job, boat pipe and larger aluminum carburetor, that it could run quicker and faster than a .21 in 132' drag race.

No need to take pics..... its very easy to tell if ports have been cut.... remove the sleeve and look at the top of the ports and see if the chrome lining is still in place.... if the ports are cut back to the bare brass underneath then the ports are cut...if the ports still have their chrome lining the timing is stock.........I have seen where RB cuts the outside of the port square, which does remove some chrome, but he doesnt cut the chrome on the inside edge of the sleeve, which is where it needs to be cut to change timing.....

As for Technology, Picco is now the 200 mm sedan world champs with their JL .12, their P9R is class leading in making power... Picco lacks no technology...the issue with the 28 is the stock sleeve ports are timed for being in a MT with 46 degree blowdown......and unless a modder actually goes in and changes timing the P3 28 will never scream like it should, unfortunately almost none of the modders want to be bother cutting sleeve timing and altering factory ports......... A P3 28 is nearly identical internally to a P9R, the main differences are in timing..........

I would love to get one of my modified 28's into a light chassis, I think the HP and RPM my 28's produce would lay waste to those pesky .21's
Old 09-01-2008, 11:59 AM

well I don't really know what I am lloking for when you say about the chrome but I took a few pics anyways. I am in the process of taking this motor out of the DM-1 and putting it right into my dragster. I am so geeked up with this motor because it aint even broken in yet fully and yet it runs like my broken in Kangaroo and the Xenon to an extent. Tib, I too think that the Picco can without a doubt run with the .21's in drag racing. My plan though is to put a larger carburetor on it next in the form of the billet 9mm carb. This motor will also get re-shimmed later for 50% nitro since that is what everyone runs out here.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the tip on the clutch springs Brent. I think you are on the right track with the big blocks the extra torque they generate should help them in a short race of 132 feet. Brent did you see this video of a stock Fusion .28 running?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzOm7-E-Z6k
Old 09-01-2008, 03:52 PM

thanks for the pics Brett......... Modding work looks nice and clean,.... The sleeve timing is still stock tho, which means there is still lots of room to increase RPM....... I am also very confident a properly tuned. setup and geared 28 can compete, provided the extra power can be used and planted.......... I really wish I had people around here into speed RC..I would absolutely love to attend a drag racing event....
Old 09-01-2008, 04:31 PM

But supertib don't you run the risk of the chrome flaking when you start cutting into the chrome plating??
Old 09-01-2008, 04:37 PM

well maybe I will just have to see if you can sell me a JPX .28 and run it. I mean these cars absolutely SING up on the top end. BTW, I have a stock Picco P3 and the crank weighed 42 grams whereas this ported one was 26 grams. I weighed the car with the .28 in it and with the body, reciever and battery on it, it came in at 2 lbs. 3.5 oz.

pm me a price for a .28 if you didn't wanna post it here.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:39 PM

oh, btw tib, I am around you. Right here on earth so it aint hard to get me one of those higher revving motors is it?
Old 09-01-2008, 05:42 PM

thanks for the pics Brett......... Modding work looks nice and clean,.... The sleeve timing is still stock tho, which means there is still lots of room to increase RPM....... I am also very confident a properly tuned. setup and geared 28 can compete, provided the extra power can be used and planted.......... I really wish I had people around here into speed RC..I would absolutely love to attend a drag racing event....
Well u know thats all we do around here so, hope on a plane and move your happy ass down here to miami, there is alot of money to be made in modding motors here!!!!

brent the cuts look sleek and clean RB has a good steady hand regardless of the aultered timing!!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:38 PM

ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest

Well u know thats all we do around here so, hope on a plane and move your happy ass down here to miami, there is alot of money to be made in modding motors here!!!!

brent the cuts look sleek and clean RB has a good steady hand regardless of the aultered timing!!

Ya know my GF has been bugging me that she wants to travel more, So I don't think convincing her to go to Florida would be too hard...especially considering how nasty our winters are here...
Old 09-02-2008, 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: nitrohead5300

But supertib don't you run the risk of the chrome flaking when you start cutting into the chrome plating??

Before I started modding I thought so too..many of the modders would claim exactly that and any how to instructions I read also said that....... But with the correct techniques I am able to cut my ports however I wish with absolutely zero chrome flaking or failure... I can tell you that not many modders understand or practice altering sleeve timing and port shape. I on the other hand specialize on port cutting and shaping and on a motor like a P3 28 poirt cutting is absolutely mandatory if you want to see the big power....... I can fully understand why RB and many others feel the 28's wont rev, as stock most 28's have blowdown timing setup for MT and low RPM usage, and unless the sleeve ports are recut the motor will never have the proper timing for good high end RPM.. Blowdown is the time between exhaust opening and transfer opening........

Brett I would love to sell ya motor all ya have to do is give me a call and we can figure things out....