Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Best engine for stock touring class!?

Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Best engine for stock touring class!?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 AM
fernandorussell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best engine for stock touring class!?

Hey guys, My local club just open a new class up so more people would be able to race with there RTR's
without burning a hole in your wallet. I need some help picking out the engine. I want to know the whats
fastest engine that fits these rules.
Here are the engine rules:

Displacement
12. - .15

Glowplug
Standard

Exhaust port
SE and RE for .12
SE for .15

I had these engines in mind:
OS .12 CV-R
OS .15 CV-R
OS .12 TR

Thats about it
Thanks for your help!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Osirisf16

Default RE: Best engine for stock touring class!?

The OS ones are cheap and good enough. Engines such Novarossi, Sirio or even Picco can burn not only a hole in your wallet, but the whole wallet
Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM
oneofakindtrini

yes i do agree with him ^^^^. have you ever looked into the 12tz?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:04 PM
olkleaf

ORIGINAL: trini4life

yes i do agree with him ^^^^. have you ever looked into the 12tz?
but the tz is turbo plug .. he says he can only use stander plug .. if you can use the turbo plug i would go with the red dot under $175
Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Osirisf16

Why stay with standard glow plugs??? I know that the TZ has a turbo plug, that's what the engine wants to run. The guy just wants a cheap .12-.15 engine. That's all.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:08 AM
joeyhatch11

I've heard a few people say that the OS engine's are good but why not try the HPI Nitro Star T-15? Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250350585934 Good thing is, if you can run this type on engine, it's only $68 shipped.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 AM
joeyhatch11

What's it matter where the exhaust exit's the engine? I see you have SE/RE for .12 and SE for .15. Is there really a difference in performance?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 AM
nitrorevo

ORIGINAL: joeyhatch11

I've heard a few people say that the OS engine's are good but why not try the HPI Nitro Star T-15? Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250350585934 Good thing is, if you can run this type on engine, it's only $68 shipped.
The difference is, you get what you pay for. The Nitro Star will make 1/2hp or less while a good .12 will make 1hp. In the case of the JLR.12 stock 1.13hp and modded up to 1.25hp. Nearly 3 times the power at much higher rpm. The engine is Picco, Italian based, race bread turbo plug and shimmed for 30% out the box for $179 bucks.

Most, if not all these race bread .12-.18 engines willl be rear exhaust, turbo plug and bump start. Little or non of the side mount like on the stock .12 and .15's.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:58 PM
oneofakindtrini

isn't the reason for having a bumpstart type engine would be tht the w/o the pull starter and shat etc. there is less rotating inertia so rev faster.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:01 PM
CBM Racing

Being as it's a rtr class, won't you have to run the engine that came in your car? If you can change it, and still need a pullstart engine, any of the ones you have listed will do well. Also .12tg is ok, reasonable power and runs a LONG time on a tank.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:06 PM
nitrorevo

Yes, along w/ the backplate being sealed completly. Bump start engines are typically race quality and built to make more power at higher rpm. The .12 engines have a shorter stroke and the good one's come stock full of race tricks(better porting and crank work) from the factory.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:41 AM
almtx3

Ive got a 12TZ and it's a great little engine for the money. I paid about $180 for it and it runs great. Since the rules for your club state you can only use a standard plug engine I highly recommend the .12TR. I had this engine and it was a trooper! Hands down one of the strongest little engines I have ever had and I will admit I have had my share of Novas and a few other top $$$ brands. I bought the TR used and abused with who knows how many gallons through it. It had ok compression and I just ran the heck out of it. I knew the TZ was on its way so I decided to push the TR to the limits and run with the big dogs out at my local track. I leaned out the top end and that little engine showed alot of heart. As hard as I tried it wouldn't pop. It kept up surprisingly well (Ill admit I wasn't passing anyone) for going against some big dollar engines. Incredibly, the engine survived and lived to run another day. It finally gave up the piston on my next time out but that's just what running at around 300°-315° will do in the south Florida heat. I knew this would happen I just wanted to see how long she would hold. I was really impressed it lasted as long as it did. I still have that engine and all its parts as a testament to O.S. engines being pretty tough. I wouldn't hesitate one second about getting another one. Hope this helps and good luck with your final decision.