Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Starter box blues..

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Grimm-Maxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter box blues..

I purchased a Team Associated NTC3 Factory Team model from a guy on Craigslist the other day for $200,after he claimed to have $1500 or so in to it,so I went to get it and I'll guarantee he has more than $1500 in to it.One of the items is an OFNA 10247 Starter Box.Well,after getting home and charging the starter box for about 6 hours,I couldn't get it charged enough to turn the wheel fast enough to start the TC3..What gives??How long do you usually have to charge one to get a full charge on the 12 volt battery?I'm using the wall plug with alligator clips that came with it.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:06 PM
olkleaf

Default RE: Starter box blues..

why don't you contact the guy that sold you the car and see how long your suppose to charge the battery for.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Grimm-Maxx

Great answer..Not really...I've gone as far as searching for chargeing info for it online and couldn't find anything..Need to get an answer from someone who owns one.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:03 PM
nitrorevo

It depends on the charger you have and how old the 12v battery is. I had the cheap $10 Hobbico charger from Tower Hobbies and it would take about 4-6hrs to get a full charge. I hated the 12v for that same reason + it was heavy as crap in the box. Since you got such a greaqt deal, spend some of the savings and get yourself a 3s lipo and forget it.

BTW, be careful not to overcharge it, you can roast the charger and the battery.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:05 PM
CBM Racing

At that charge time it might not be fully charged, but should be plenty to turn over the engine. Most wall chargers for the 12 volt starters say to charge a minimum of 12 hrs, some more, so just let it charge overnight as it is hard to overcharge them with the wall slow chargers. If no go then either battery is toast or charger is toast. For mine I use either a lawntractor battery or just use jumper cables and my truck battery. Hope this helps some.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:11 PM
olkleaf

ORIGINAL: Grimm-Maxx

Great answer..Not really...I've gone as far as searching for chargeing info for it online and couldn't find anything..Need to get an answer from someone who owns one.
well im using a 12v automotive battery charger (i got 1 genius be more police please[&o] .. just trying to help) for my 12v gel cell that i use for my starter box.. should work as long as you use a low amp setting ( i think i got the charger from walmart not sure )
Old 01-21-2009, 05:06 PM
CBM Racing

Here's a quick pic of my box and battery, simple and strong.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27505.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1116178  
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Grimm-Maxx

ORIGINAL: CBM Racing

Here's a quick pic of my box and battery, simple and strong.
So,this is an instant start then?

I just wanted to know how lung it takes to start the small 12 volt gel cell that's in it.It's the size of a motorcycle battery and fit's inside the box,but for a quick start the car battery will work I take it?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 PM
adam-69

Ouch! That is one huge battery short accident waiting to happen!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 PM
CBM Racing

Yeah, gotta watch what your doing this way, but never fails to start an engine. This was for a quick pic to get the idea, so use your head and either tape the leads or use a board between clamps to prevent shorting leads. As for the gel cell, I never had much use for it as it says it's only good for 7amps of current draw, barely enough to start a tight engine if your lucky. If you want to use the gel cell, just charge it overnight and see how it works. If no go, use 2 stick packs of the same mah rating or the car/lawntractor/motorcycle battery. Whatever works for ya. I run in areas where I don't have to caryy stuff far or at all so this works great for me.