Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Fatsest Car out of the box!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 03:04 AM
mattayl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fatsest Car out of the box!!!

whats the fastest a hpi rs4 3 18ss+ can go and what do i need to get it to that speed. keeping in mind im keeping it with the radio box etc and not going to get a new engine. is there anyway to get more top end and excelleration by changing pinion gears etc or anything??

cheers
Old 08-13-2009, 04:03 AM
Fudge
My Feedback: (104)

change gear ratio, bigger tires! (from what I can think of off the top of my head!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:45 PM
oneofakindtrini

Bigger Tires=More Rotatating weight So It Takes longer to get up to speed.... Diff Gear Ratios will hellp you out.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 PM
oneofakindtrini

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TU2JreVr8g[/youtube]

Lambo gets embarassed by GD Subie

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYP105F4WPc[/youtube]

Lambo gets owned by a evo9... And thats a lp-540 lambo...

I can go on all day.. So no lambos do get stomped out by JDM power.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Fudge

ORIGINAL: oneofakindtrini

Lambo gets embarassed by GD Subie

Lambo gets owned by a evo9... And thats a lp-540 lambo...

I can go on all day.. So no lambos do get stomped out by JDM power.
Ok so you can search one youtube, those were the most BS races ever!
1.) the lambo is stock, the way it came out of the factory, get a stock subie, or evo, what ever you want, lambo wins hands down any day.
2 have you ever seen a lambo run?, those thing will smoke their tires on take off in the vids they didn't even spin!
and finally, to get a subie to beat a lambo, this thing will require many thousands of dollars in aftermarket upgrades, and many hours of labor.

I won't say there are some Subaru's out there that can take a lambo, but they aren't as fast as you think they are!!

O and BTW there's a vid one youtube where a Dodge ram 2500 kills a viper SRT10!! (well I guess dodge ram trucks are now faster than vipers)

Just soem friendly advice don't believe everything you see on the internet!

and oneofakindtrini, bigger tires also means more distance per rotation!! ther for at the same RPM you'd be going faster, but yes they do add weight!!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:47 PM
iexion

+1 fudge. Anyone can mod a Evo of Sti to over 500+HP
BUT.....

Spend $9000 and get an R1, Gixxer 1K or ZX-10R and it will Own 90% of the cars on the street.
Back on topic. The last time I emailed Wolfpackradicals, They didn't really have any conversions in stock.
Your talking about a RS4 2 with a BB engine? Why not just get the Fusion 28 (it already has a BB engine).
For speed your still not going to beat Brushless+lipo very easily (if at all). And I think no one can argue with that
Old 08-14-2009, 03:59 AM
Fudge

I did think about going brushless at first, but the only factory brushless vehicle I found (street car) was the Hpi sprint 2 flux (maybe it's the e10) but what ever the case the HPI car!
The rest is all brushed, and I was worried that if I drop in a crazy brushless motor, and run 2-3 cell lipo batterry, there may be tons of breakage, at first!! (either that or I would have to upgrade everything from the start!)

and and about bikes, my buddy has a turbo Hyabusa, and that thing (I'm not sure, never actually seen him at the track, just going from what I hear) will run a 9 sec. quarter mile easily!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 AM
magnus213

For the record, in that second video the Gallardo has an absolutely awful launch. I'm not one to make excuses for people, but that was so blatantly terrible that Lamborghini deserves some defense from that driver.

*edit* How did we go from the original topic to these videos anyway? Ok. Back to the topic at hand.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Fudge

hey, any input to the topic in hand?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 PM
iexion

ORIGINAL: Fudge

I did think about going brushless at first, but the only factory brushless vehicle I found (street car) was the Hpi sprint 2 flux (maybe it's the e10) but what ever the case the HPI car!
The rest is all brushed, and I was worried that if I drop in a crazy brushless motor, and run 2-3 cell lipo batterry, there may be tons of breakage, at first!! (either that or I would have to upgrade everything from the start!)

and and about bikes, my buddy has a turbo Hyabusa, and that thing (I'm not sure, never actually seen him at the track, just going from what I hear) will run a 9 sec. quarter mile easily!

If your looking at a RTR BrushLess Hpi Does have one. But Im talking about building a 1/10 Kit and adding you own BL combo into it.
[link=http://hotbodiesonline.com/kit.php?partNo=67700〈=en] Hotbodies Cyclone TC[/link],
[link=http://teamxray.com/teamxray/m_intro.php?Xnet_Session=051b674349aa40b1cb9bdc109 f5296c3]TeamXray T2009 or T2R Pro[/link]
[link=http://www.wolfhobbies.com/product.cgi?group=6842&product=6848]Team Magic E4RS[/link]
[link=http://67.199.85.166/ae/tc5/tc5_home.php]TC5[/link]
[link=http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSK0256]Losi JRXS[/link]
....These are some of the TOP line car kits on the market to date. Pretty much all of them are pro level kits. (and by far the most expensive kits on the market) There is still other pro level kits available but this is to give you an idea. It would be cheaper to by a "sport" level kit like Hpi's sprint 2 kit version or Losi's XXX-S and go to your LHS to replace a belt every now and then VS buying a $400+ kit. Check your LHS to see which companie's parts they would have in stock or can get on order. Xray's parts seem to take longer to get a hold of from my past experiences. And the only place i know that sells Team magic is www.wolfhobbies.com

Busa's can run 9's stock with a decent rider (back off subject again)
Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Fudge

Thanx I never though of going that way!
Building a kit, might actually be more fun, then if something does break, it woudl be easier to fix since you put it together!
and ESC/ motor suggestions?
I'm more a Novak guy, so I would just give them a call and get thier top of the line stuff, but thought I'd ask to see what others are runinng!

O BTW Hyabusas are fast but only in a straight line, they are way to heave to be track bikes (kinda like these cars)
Old 08-15-2009, 09:49 PM
iexion

Novak has Great stuff. LRP makes great stuff to. Castle Creations MAMBA stuff is really popular. I had a 1/18 BL kits from losi... biggest waste of money ive ever spent. Also had other people have issues with losi's stuff.

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...tem/index.html
[link=http://67.199.85.166/main/productdetails.php?text=LRP80640&category=6010jxxxxx]LRP BrushLessCoMBo[/link]
Old 08-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Fudge

Hey I don't want to offend any one here, but really do not like Team Losi's stuff.
Associated, makes great stuff, so I'm sure LRP should have great brushless systems (never used them though)!!
I'll have to check them out, maybe if the money allows it, buy a few different systems, and see which one I like best!!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 AM
mattayl

hey, yeh please mind my ignorance, but how do you change gear ratios whats the gear ratio stock on an 18ss+ and what do i need to change it and what does it do when i change it?? i've come to learn all areas of my nitro car besides gear ratios, i thought id leave that until i needed more power, and now i do hahaha.

cheers

p.s the lambo isnt taking off properly (the drivers a kook) and also that subie and evo probably are ralli-art and STI or they have been modded with cold air intakes bigger 6 cylinder boxer engines, nos or any other number of things. hahaha stock though the lambo kills them. far more torque and HP ( and when isay HP, as in horse power, i mean real horsepower) people think adding a turbo to a (so called 250HP) car will make it up around 450-500 HP but in reality on a proper german dyno which my fathers multi-million dolla mechanic owns, that estimate of 450-500 would really be around 250-300 tops

cheers guys!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:15 AM
Fudge

To change the gear ratio, basically change any gears on the vehicle to more or less gear count (you have to make sure they still mesh properly)! The easiest, and probably the one people to the most is pinion, and spur gears!!
To get gear ratio, take the driven gear divided by the drive gear. The higher the number you get, the more torque you'll get, equaling better acceleration, but you loose top speed, to go for top speed, go with a smaller pinion gear, and bigger spur, this will increase top speed at the expense of acceleration.
I hope I explained it right, I can do it with out thinking about it, not very good at explaining it!!
And as far as the stock gear ration on the RS4, just look in the owners manual, there should be a section on gear ratios, most manufactures, even include a chart to help you choose the right gears!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:17 AM
mattayl

thanks heaps fudge, legend!! thats what i needed. i think i might go out and get some new spurs and pinions. but yeh also if i change the 1st gear pinion and spur for acceleration can i also change the 2nd gear spur and pinion for top speed so i have the best of both worlds.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Fudge

maybe, never worked with a 2 speed!!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:22 PM
iexion

To changed the Gearing ratio on a HPI RS4 3 Series of car ( Evo/18ss ) you would need to change the gears on the clutch bell. Hpi has 3 colors of gears for the clutch bell

(Yellow :17x21)
This Give's More Acceleration speed from a dead stop. The lower number of teeth on the clutch bell give's the car a feel of having more torque, but lacks as Top speeds will be reduced. This can be used for smaller tight corner tracks (or front of the drive way).

(Purple :18x22)
This is mostly the stock gearing. Its a great medium for Top speed and Acceleration. For a medium size track with a few straights or in a slighter larger open parking lot.

(Red :19x23)
This is for Top Speed. If you have a larger motor (.18SS/OS .18TZ/OS .18 CVR X /Hpi G3.0 etc). Or if you have a Big Block conversion you will need to change the gearing to the RED clutch gears. Very open parking lot or a Large track

So for the Clutch/Pinion gear(s). The more teeth on the gear(s), the more Top Speed. This goes for any gearing ratio in RC. Gas or Electric.
Clutch/Pinion gear is the gear that is attached to the engine or motor.

As for transmission gears. It is the opposite. The LOWER the teeth on the gear(s) the more Top speed you will have.

So for a RS4 3, The transmission gears will always need to be 4 teeth apart. (37x41, 39x43, 41x45 43x47 and so on)

Does this make any since [sm=bananahead.gif]?!?!?......[sm=confused.gif]
Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 PM
mattayl

yeh that makes perfect sense, thanks heaps man.

p.s if i change my gear 1 to a smaller clutch bell pinion will i get more acceleration in gear 1?? and then if i change my 2nd gear pinion clutch bell to more teeth will that increase top speed cuz its a 2 speed. like can i have the best of both worlds or its that, if i change one by say 4 teeth, then all including the 22nd gear have to change the same amount???

cheers
Old 08-18-2009, 04:19 AM
Fudge

good question, i was wondering about that!!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:00 PM
iexion

ORIGINAL: mattayl

yeh that makes perfect sense, thanks heaps man.

p.s if i change my gear 1 to a smaller clutch bell pinion will i get more acceleration in gear 1?? and then if i change my 2nd gear pinion clutch bell to more teeth will that increase top speed cuz its a 2 speed. like can i have the best of both worlds or its that, if i change one by say 4 teeth, then all including the 22nd gear have to change the same amount???

cheers
Yes you can changed the 1st gears to yellow (17 tooth) but you WILL need to adjust the 1st transmission gear to a higher teeth gear ( from 47 tooth to a 49 tooth). The reason why I said the transmission gears must be with in 4 is because the size of the gears comes into play. So if you switch the clutch bell to ALL yellow, they will need to fit the mesh correctly (you will need to move the engine closer to the transmission). BUT if you changed the Clutch to yellow AND changed the transmission gears from stock (43x47 if i remember correctly) to 45x49. You wont have to adjust the space (mesh) as much.

So... If you want to change the 1st clutch gear to 17 and 2nd to 23 (colors will be red and yellow) The biggest issue will be how they fit together and will they mesh fit together. Ive never mix match the colors together being i was also out for top speed. So for you it will be a trail and error just making sure the mesh fits.

I guess in theory as long as you adjust each "gear" as a whole it should work. So if you only switch the 1st gear in the clutch bell to 17 tooth, it will not fit correctly (you will move the engine closer to get the 17 tooth to fit but the 2nd gear(s) will then be grinding)
Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
oneofakindtrini

The SerpentF1.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Fudge

what about it?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
prestonlal

Hey guy
this is my latest project car.. i saw some of the brushless speed runs on youtube and being from a nitro background this was all new to me. so i decided to convert one of my nitro cars to brushless.
its a hpi super nitro rally, 300 mm wheelbase, so its a little bigger than the regular 10th scale cars. overall with the body on its like 21" long, 8" wide and about 5" tall.
i used the traxxas velineon (vxl3s) system in it (it was pretty cheap price for motor and esc) and as it was my first time with electric i didnt want to spend too much until i saw how it will perform. i used a 18t pinion and the stock 52t spurand 3s lipo.
overall it runs pretty quick, i dont currently have any way to measure the speed, but im guessing it did about 50 mph. the vxl system with the right gearing and 3s lipo should hit 70 mph but in my case i think the weight of the car was a major factor. my car weighs about 4.2 pounds while the vxl cars weigh about 3 pounds!
i going to pick up the mamba monster system in a couple of weeks, and going to run 6s lipo... so i should see some improvements...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65219.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1264129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26135.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1264130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89751.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1264131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44165.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1264132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf51276.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1264133  
Old 08-27-2009, 11:23 AM
prestonlal

hey oneofakindtrini,
where in queens do you run your cars? btw, i'm a trini to de bone as well....born and bred![8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.