Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Getting started...

Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 AM
josephtech1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting started...

My son and I are looking to pick up RC racing as a hobby. However, I really do not know where to begin without being just another sale. We are into european sports cars, such as Audi, Bmw, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc. So, we would like for our RC cars to reflect that interest. We would to purchase a base model that has virtually limitless upgrade potential in keeping with our style preference. Can anyone share insight?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:16 PM
VooDooModified

Default RE: Getting started...

What kind of racing are you looking into doing? Club racing or just playing around in parking lots? There a a lot of good base model cars that you can get to start off with but it depends on what level of racing you are looking into.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
josephtech1

Thank you for showing interest.... Initially, we will just be racing and enjoying our cars locally. Yet, I think "Club" competition would be a great thing to set a goal for. Are there any more specific questions I should answer to narrow down the model I am looking for, such as price ($200-$300 ea. to begin)? It would be great to hear your advice.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:42 PM
D.DJ

You could really get any car that you would think is good to race with, either nitro or electric, as they can use any body shell that fits it. If it's a 1/10 scale car, then a 200mm or 190mm wide body will most likely fit on it and you can get it in Audi, BMW, Ferrari etc as long as the car is able to accept it without any significant changes to make it fit. I think a Ferrari body may be a little hard to fit depending on what car you have, but really in the end you have so many cars to choose from.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 AM
VooDooModified

If you are looking to race around a parking lot with your son and at the same time "learn your way into nitro", you cant go wrong with an HPI RS4, a Traxxas 4tec or an Associated TC3. All cars are fast and good starter cars to learn on. ANY 200mm body will fit a 1/10 scale nitro car. HPI has the largest selection of 200mm bodies on the market, you can find anything you are looking for.

The RS4 has a ton of upgrade options and so does the 4tec and TC3. The TC3 is probably your best bet to cross over from parking lot fun to club racing.

If you ever get into larger racing events beyond club racing, you will probably need to get a more upscale car if the TC3 isnt cutting it . When your talking about racing 1/10 scale, the Mugen MTX4 or Serpent 720 are your best bets. But remeber this: when making the switch from a ready to run car to a race car like the Serpent or Mugen, plan on spenting a lot of money.

Here are some links to some great starter/learner cars:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXRSH8**&P=SM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXNCA8**&P=SM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGZJ4&P=SM

My vote for you is the TC3. iT has everything you are looking for: it's ready to run, easy to learn and tune and is the best option to cross over to racing.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:53 PM
GYNAIKAS

Well 4-tec really can't compete RS4 or TC3...can a 500hp mustang beat a 300 hp EVO when it comes to corners? Simply never...! Racing class is out of the budget you mentioned so RS4, TC3 or Kyosho FW (I vote for the RS4) is the car for you...EXCEPT...well there's the team magic g4 series...starts from bashing versions to racing version.s..but i don't know the exact price for any of them...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:25 AM
D.DJ

Well said, the 4tec goes good in a straight line but when it comes to corners, don't even think about it!
As for the Team Magic cars, they are really cheap if you get the RTRs but if you do get a rolling chassis, you still save a few bucks here and there but you get a race worthy and good bash car. Just put in a nice engine depending on what you'll be doing the most - .12 for racing, .15 or .18 for bashing - and thats all there is to it!
I think I saw, well, when I was shopping, a G4S RTR which cost the same as a RRR Evo 2 kit.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:07 AM
GYNAIKAS

Well in that case the RRR evo 2 is the peak 1/10 racer...but it's a pitty to abuse belts and chasis during bashing...