Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

need help picking engine.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:05 AM
big boater
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help picking engine.

hello all, i have an older hpi rs4-2 onroad car with the stock hpi15 engine that suckes. im looking for a new engine and not sure what would be good for it. im thinking of an .18 engine what engine would you get for it?? im looking to make it fast. thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:13 AM
wrcsti

Default RE: need help picking engine.

I have a rtr rs4 (same car) andThat engine doesnt suck. Its outright the worst engine I have ever seen. Anything would be better.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Saboteur10573

If you just want to have fun the OS .12CVR is a nice fit. For more power the .18CVR will also fit in that car as it has the same mounting dimensions of the .12. Make sure you get a standard cut crankshaft and not an SG.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM
big boater
My Feedback: (9)

if anybody has a complete 2 speed for this car and want to sell it let me no i need one.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 PM
D.DJ

Get the 18TZ, that beast will crank a smile from ear to ear!! Just be a little careful because Ive heard (dont know how they do it) that if you oush too hard, then things will start to break. Ive had an 18TZ in a 4tec and people have said that they strip gears and what not, Ive never had anything break or wear too fast ANDIT"SMODIFIED!!
Just goes to show that some people can't put things back onto the chassis properly...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Saboteur10573

People strip gears because A) the engine mounts come loose being no blue loctite was not used and B) improper gear mesh. The .18TZ is overkill and the stock clutch setup for the Racer 2 will not accept SG. The .18CVRX however will be the most power you want. It's not all about how much wheel spin you have...you need to have control of the car too.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:38 AM
D.DJ

Hahaha, Ive never ever used loctite and everything was fine!!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Saboteur10573

Doesn't mean everyone shouldn't do that. That's like telling a car owner to never use a torque stick for wheels just screw them in with a lug wrench till they are tight. Use loctite on engine mount screws (engine block and chassis) as a safeguard. Nothing like loosing a screw then stripping gears only to blame it on the quality of the gear itself. Typical user errors. [8D]