Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

V one r Help!

Old 04-10-2010, 04:13 PM
voner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V one r Help!

Ihave a kyosho v one R with no engine, exhaust, reciever and control. Can some one please help me in recommending some parts for this car. This is my first RC. Ipicked this car up on a garage sale

Old 04-10-2010, 09:45 PM
D.DJ

Default RE: V one r Help!

Wow, how much did you pick it up for??
OK, for the engine, you should really look into getting either a .12 size or .15 size engine. You can go up to .18-.20 but then you loose all traction and it just seems like its slippery (too much power for the car to handle)
Engine recommendations can be anything from cheap low power .12's to the more powerful race engines, its really user preference depending if you want to race it on a track or just have a bash up and down the street.
For racing: Picco JLR .12 Red Dot, Novarossi Plus 12-3st (or something like that),OS 12TZ (3 port, or also the Speed Tuned version), Mugen Ninja mrt12, Orion Wasp .12, generally good brands that most racers use.
For bashing: OS 12TG/12TZ (5 port has better top end), OS 18TZ (.18 size and possibly the most powerful you can get) these engines are all great, but like I said, any engine will do for bashing, no matter what it is. But if it's a crap engine then chances are you won't like it.
Ask around for pipe selections on the engine you want to get.

For radio gear, you can't go wrong with a Tactic TTX240, it's a 2.4 GHz radio but without the pricetag and bells & whistles of all the others. The receiver also doesn't have an antenna so you won't have one sticking out of the body!
But you can get other radios that run on a frequency (27MHz, 29MHz or whatever) and they will also be good, it's just that the 2.4 GHz systems usually have built-in failsafes and are supposedly glitch free, so that means that you shouldn't get interference from surrounding crap around you, and the car won't just take off on you!
Servos, it depends how much you're willing to spend. I have Futaba S3010 servo for both steering and throttle in my RRR evo2, and they're fast & powerful too, but they only cost me about $30-$40 bucks each, compared to your more pricey ones that go for $100+! They're high quality and they don't have much slop in neutral position compared to a bunch of even cheaper ones like TowerPro MG995 or whatever servos, they just don't center themselves properly.

With wheels, you will want to get foam wheels (30mm wide in the rear, 26mm wide in the front unless you decide to go for some kawahara wide foams.)
I don't know how people can run softer wheels in the front than the rear, so Im just saying not to do it. 35-40 shore wheels in the rear are good to start with, you can go lower. 37-45 shore in the front is good to start with but its all user preference and driving style.

Look on sites such as RCMushroom, RCMart, A Main Hobbies, RC Hobbies and even eBay, there's heaps of stuff that you can get cheaper from there compared to other stores!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:37 PM
voner

Thanx for the info. I bought it for 180 canadian. With a whole bunch of spares with it and wheels. It came with futaba servos. So i jus need the engine, pipe, reciever and controller.

I will start shopping! Iplan to use it on a clean parking lot / street . The car is toooo low and could stratch up easily
Thanx again
Old 04-13-2010, 06:40 AM
ugglasdav

for the engine, go for a picco red dot, they are the most bang for the buck. for the radio, are u plannig in using a wheel radio or stick?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:39 AM
D.DJ

yeah, you definitely want the Red Dot. I have it and it runs great!! Don't know how much different it is from stock because I got mine modded brand new from Adam at AB Mods, and it screams like a bat out of hell!! If you do get the JLR (which is the Picco Red Dot) you want to get the Picco 2651 pipe set, its the only one to make the most out of the engine. As for road racing, if you set it high enough, you won't have any problems with chassis scrapes, unless you have a really rolley road! If you put on harder springs, that will also help stop it from bottoming out along with thicker shock oil. All this will change the way that it handles though, so try to get it as nice as you can!