Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

New to Nitro

Old 04-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Srt 10 dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Nitro

I got a used nitro car and I got the engine running but don't know where to start with tuning the engine. It is an Ofna GPX4 with a factory .12 Ofna engine. When I accelerat on the controller the engine revs up but the wheels don't spin. The reciever and servers are working. Is this a brake problem, clutch problem or is the carb tuned wrong?
Old 04-10-2010, 10:03 PM
D.DJ

Default RE: New to Nitro

Does the engine rev ALOT or just a little with heaps of smoke?
It is most likely a clutch issue, so I think it comes with a centax type clutch. If it does, take off the screw that holds it all in place, and carefully remove everything that can come off after that (the bearings and shims/washers will all be loose, so be careful not to loose them)
There should be a nut that holds a spring in place over the crankshaft, it should show only 1mm of thread, otherwise if it's in too far, then the engine will rev and reve but the clutch won't engage. If the nut is where I said it should be, then you have to go in further. Take off that nut, the spring it holds, the clutch shoe and the plate after that and you should get to the clutch weights. If theres nothing there, then your screwed! you need to get a set of weights for it and put them in. If they are there (which they should be) then give them a clean and then put them back.
When you put it all back, here is when you set the gap and endplay.
OK, take out all of the shims that are between the bearing in the clutch closest to the engine. Put the clutch back onto the engine with no shims but with the bearing and see if it spins freely when you spin it. If it doesn't then put shims between the bearing and engine nut until you don't get any resistance when you push the clutch bell onto the engine. Once that is set , only put as many washers as you can between the retainer (just after that screw that holds everything onto the engine) and the thrust bearing. place as many as you can with squishing everthing on the shaft. If you have it right, it should spin freely and have very little movement up and down the shaft.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:55 AM
lastking

Default RE: New to Nitro

try check on the the engine's gear... if the gear wear off when u press, its means ur break is too tight...or the clutch assemble wrongly.