RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC On Road Nitro Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/)
-   -   Making my super nitro rs4 rally as fast as can be (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/11625664-making-my-super-nitro-rs4-rally-fast-can.html)

rally dude 01-15-2016 10:15 AM

Making my super nitro rs4 rally as fast as can be

5 Attachment(s)
Money is not a deal here, anything I can do will be done at some point. :p
OK I have a super nitro rs4 rally and as of now it has a t3.0 (2 rings and running 30% with a racing clutch) with the stock 2 speed trans and pipe off of a rs4 3+ evo. I have a carbon fiber upper deck and the rest is stock. Also I warped my pipe, helps abit but not much. I can't get burns anymore lol.

I always bought big lots of used parts online as most of my cars are old so I'm not that good with newer parts and knowing what will or will not work, that or I use stock parts on my cars. So I need ideas and help.

here are my thoughts

Idea 1:
lighten the car up.
Anyone know were I can get carbon fiber parts for the car? Or do I have to make my own?

Idea 2:
Bigger/better engine.
I don't know of many bigger engines I could put on the car. I have a old 3.5 turbo engine (no clue what it is, maybe a O.S.) that will not fit. Any ideas for a better/bigger engine?

Idea 3: Got a fast eddy set.
Better/new bearings.
The bearings on the car are still the original stock bearings, scary. What would you use?

Idea 4:
Better/bigger cooling head and a leaner tune.
With 30%? that might not work for long.

Idea 5: Done.
Light weight flywheel, I don't know why I don't have one yet.

Idea 6: Put a spacer on the pipe.
Better turned pipe. I have no clue what will fit or work.

Idea 7:
Better triers, anyone know if there is something like the hpi #4467 pirelli rally tires in 57x35mm. Anyone have any better ideas?

Idea 8:
Change the gearing. That would be the best bang for the buck if you ask me.
I just need some time to play around with different gears.

last idea:
Better air cleaner. What would you use?

Any advice on what parts to use will be most useful.

rally dude 01-15-2016 06:01 PM

Not to double post, but does anyone have any ideas to increase handling and braking?
Right now I been playing around with suspension and will get it at some point. I had it perfect but after putting the t3.0 on it it's been out of whack. :/. As for braking, the car just locks up or takes to long to stop. Will a second brake disk help? Like the new rs4 rally uses?

cbaker65 01-15-2016 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by rally dude (Post 12162544)
Not to double post, but does anyone have any ideas to increase handling and braking?
Right now I been playing around with suspension and will get it at some point. I had it perfect but after putting the t3.0 on it it's been out of whack. :/. As for braking, the car just locks up or takes to long to stop. Will a second brake disk help? Like the new rs4 rally uses?

The cars are all ready fast!
As far as a engine ,you can get a better quality engine.The engine you have is just an engine that is usually put on stock RTR's.
An engine like an OS cvr 18 will give you a thrill ,so I think that you need a better quality engine & proper tuned pipe with gearing
is the path you need to go ,an you want more than that ,you can have a mod done to the engine.
However ,that could put a strain on the running gear.
As for brakes ,ive seen people apoxy a brake pad material on the brake shoe.

I have a 1/10 Ld3 with a 21 hyper B-block on it ,an its way too much power for the car ,its really uncontrollable an makes
me nervous everytime I break it out to run it.
So you don't want to over power something where you cant control it!..:cool:

rally dude 01-15-2016 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info.

How is the OS cvr 18 better?
On paper it would seem to be not any better. Wouldn't I be better of with a .21 or 19XZ-b?

Also what is the mod you speak of.
As for the brakes, I thought about getting a metal disk and pads. Not sure if that's better then the fiberglass disk I have now tho. That or daul brakes.

cbaker65 01-15-2016 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by rally dude (Post 12162563)
Thanks for the info.

How is the OS cvr 18 better?
On paper it would seem to be not any better. Also what is the mod you speak of.

I don't know about whats on paper ,but I do know what it does in my rc 10 which is fast enough to throw
it in a hydroplane an flop the truck on its back at full throttle.

A mod is where the engine is re worked & ported by a specialtist ,like souping up a car engine!

rally dude 01-15-2016 07:18 PM

Sounds like my car when you don't know that your doing or have the worng suspension or tire setup.
The smallest bit of water and it's a no go unless I hold back.
My t3.0 was not much better then the .12ss I had in it. But after putting a racing clutch and removing all but 2 rings and useing 30% it's a lot faster. Still slow on the low end. On the top end its crazy.

On paper the 2 are about the same. But the os engine has less HP.

edit:
For now I would prefer not changing the engine. I would like to save that last. As you said being able to control the car is a must. Until I get the l suspension/brakes figured out its out of question. Still any engine ideas are welcomed.

cbaker65 01-15-2016 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by rally dude (Post 12162574)
Sounds like my car when you don't know that your doing or have the worng suspension or tire setup.
The smallest bit of water and it's a no go unless I hold back.
My t3.0 was not much better then the .12ss I had in it. But after putting a racing clutch and removing all but 2 rings and useing 30% it's a lot faster. Still slow on the low end. On the top end its crazy.

On paper the 2 are about the same. But the os engine has less HP.

You might have a gear ratio issue ,I'm not too heavy into making my cars as fast as they can go!
But there is a few folks here that are,If you can hang around long enough or if you go to one of
their threads ,they may pop in an give you better advise on your ride,
I just came from those threads ,which one of them is called the nasty 1/10 thread.
an I believe theres a super hpi thread which I think one of the cars does have an Os engine in it.
I don't go by HP ratings that the manufacture claims ,they are sometimes false.

rally dude 01-15-2016 07:37 PM

Dose not surprise me that hp ratings could be wrong/rigged. As for the gearing I'm sure that a big part of it. It's also a very heavy car witch dose not help on the low end. I have a rs4 3 with the same engine/trans and its bottom end is much better. Low top speed do to its smaller wheel and tires.

cbaker65 01-15-2016 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by rally dude (Post 12162578)
Dose not surprise me that hp ratings could be wrong/rigged. As for the gearing I'm sure that a big part of it. It's also a very heavy car witch dose not help on the low end. I have a rs4 3 with the same engine/trans and its bottom end is much better. Low top speed do to its smaller wheel and tires.

Ah ,If you go for torq. then your car may get more squirely...LOL
My B-block Ld3 goes into a tas mania Brodie stage at a full throttle punch ,I wish that I can control that ,which
Ive tried for the past 5 years.

But I think it just maybe in the gear ratio!
I started gabbing on your thread because usually it promotes othe to join in!...:cool:

rally dude 01-15-2016 08:14 PM

I don't know much about your car, but the right suspension and tires makes a big differences. I know since I started to run 30% with a racing clutch and all but 2 rings removed I have had handling problems when going full throttle. I just changed my tires today it that helped a lot. Soft grippy tires are a must for fast rc cars.

cbaker65 01-15-2016 08:47 PM

Ive changed to these.Seem to help alittle ,A may need to tune the suspension!

http://s20.postimg.org/51egeix31/Ld3_wheels_001.jpg

http://s20.postimg.org/w0zrpwf7h/New_wheels_001.jpg

cbaker65 01-15-2016 09:13 PM

Heres what this car does,its squirley ,I can try to change the gears for top end,it may mellow the torq down.

https://youtu.be/p2BFcapxgxs

rally dude 01-16-2016 07:36 PM

That's like my rs4 3 with the wrong tiers and suspension setup.

nice car by the way.

rally dude 01-18-2016 07:42 PM

Bought a light wait fly wheel and put a spacer on the pipe.

rally dude 01-27-2016 07:35 AM

So I took my car for a spin and dang its fast.
The light wait flywheel, new bearings and longer spacer on the pipe made it a hole new car.