RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC On Road Nitro Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/)
-   -   Which to buy TC3 or Kyosho FW-05R (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/1244569-buy-tc3-kyosho-fw-05r.html)

Mr Coupe 11-01-2003 04:56 PM

Which to buy TC3 or Kyosho FW-05R

Which to buy? TC3 or Kyosho FW-05R I have had a 1/10 nitro tourung car for about 12 months now & I think its time to give the race track a go. So I need a more compeditive car. I have looked at many shaft cars over the last couple of months and I think it has come down to a toss up between these two. So I would like to hear any opinions any of you out there might have on these choices. THANKS....

migueloo 11-02-2003 03:06 PM

RE: Which to buy TC3 or Kyosho FW-05R

are you considering any belt tc's? the kyosho one is fast, but not consistent enough for long mains.

Mr Coupe 11-03-2003 02:35 PM

Thanks for your reply Migueloo.. I am only looking at shaft driven cars even though almost all the people who race at the track nearest to us (about 1.5 hours away) use belt. I,m interested in the shaft for a couple of reasons # 1 A lot of the manufactures are now putting out race compeditive cars. #2 Reliability at home hear on our netball courts (debris getting court in belts)

migueloo 11-03-2003 08:08 PM

are you going to race your car only, or are you going to bash too? i haven't had any problems yet with bashing a belt car.

Mr Coupe 11-05-2003 06:24 AM

sorry migueloo it takes me so long to reply! . Our nearest race trace is about 1.5 hours drive away from hear ( at an average of about 115 km / hour or just under 70 mph) so I need to be able to practice driving hear at home on our dirty old net ballcourts. On top of this I don,t know of any of my mates that have ever had to replace a drive shaft as aposed to those with belt driven cars . So after all that can you tell me anything about the TC3 shaft or the Kyosho FW-05 ( which I prefure at this time) Thanks again !!!!!!!!

migueloo 11-05-2003 03:49 PM

i wouldn't recommend that you practice your driving in a court. when you are on the track, its so different that you won't be able to keep up with other people. Try to go to the track and see what other people are runnng and ask them what they think about it. you can't go wrong with any of those two cars. but if you get the kyosho, make sure that you can get the parts somewhere.

Mr Coupe 11-10-2003 06:03 AM

Thanks for your advise migueloo

dg2b 11-19-2003 01:47 PM

Given the two choices you listed, the FW-05R is my recommendation. Like migueloo mentioned, my be good to (re)consider belt driven cars. I do race with a V1RR. My kid race with a Reflex NT. Both cars had been driven in non-prepped tracks without any problems.

Boost-Dragon 11-27-2003 10:53 AM

if you want a good shaft drive get a mugen MSX3. i own the FW-04 and it is a great car but the only set back is the scale. it's like a scale all it's own you can only put on the kyosho bodies that run about 40 bucks. the bodies are alot thicker than your average 1/10 scale these bodies can take abuse but the price for the hop ups can make any one almost cry. i paid about $100 for the two speed and another 130 on the limited edition gold chassis from kyosho. and the cost of the car to begin with was alot and it requires a radio,body, and engine. stick to a NTC3 or MSX3.

Varad 11-27-2003 11:23 AM

ive had a lot of problems with my belt drive T/C. Rocks jamming up the belts. But mostly, it gets stuck in the Trannsmisson and wheels. In fact, running it with a lot of pebbles in a parking lot, it only got in the belt once.

dg2b 12-01-2003 01:31 PM

FW-05 is a 1/10th shaft drive car. Kyosho somehow is straying away from their naming convention. Don't know why. The FW-04 is a super class on its own, along with HPI SN.

Belt driven cars don't give that much problem with parking lot bashing, unless the lot is so dirty with pebbles.