RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC On Road Nitro Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/)
-   -   Cleaning Engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/3067878-cleaning-engine.html)

bopbop11208 06-12-2005 09:44 PM

Cleaning Engine

What can I use to clean the Engine and Carb.... water, wd40???

snowbl!nd 06-13-2005 05:40 AM

RE: Cleaning Engine

I use soapy water and a toothbrush. Just make sure not to get any in the engine, so cover the carb air intake with something (stuff a bit of tissue in there) and leave the exhaust manifold on the engine (or find something to cover it with). Really give it a good scrubbing to get rid of all the grime. When you are finished let it dry, and then spray it with WD-40. If you have a compressor i would reccomend blowing off any excess WD-40, or just wipe with a clean rag.

Nitroaddict 06-13-2005 07:11 AM

bopbop - I wouldn't recommend water - there is just too big a risk that some can get into the carb and muck things up. I use denatured alchohol and a toothbrush. Will make the engine look brand new. If you don't have DA, a small amount of fuel in a spray bottle will work almost as well.

Gordie 06-13-2005 02:10 PM

just spray some WD40 on it let is sit for a bit and then blow it off with a compressor, toothbrush or a rag and then its pretty much good as new

ttr_dude 06-13-2005 02:47 PM

yeah i use wd40 with a toothbrush and a rag and an air compressor

gangstar786 06-13-2005 05:10 PM

i havnt used denatured alcohol, although iv heard that's good.

i use paint cleaner (white spirit) with a toothbrush to get rid of all the grime (with the carb plugged up with a bit of tissue). Then i let it dry, then spray everything with WD40. i like spraying the whole car with WD40, it makes all the parts look brand new and jst lubes up some metal parts and prevents corrosion.

bopbop11208 06-13-2005 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: gangstar786

denatured alcohol

Can you get that in a SuperMarket or something or is this hard to find?

Nitroaddict 06-13-2005 06:36 PM

bopbop - I use DA to clean all my vehicles - you can buy it at any hobby shop as well as most hardware stores such as Lowes, Home Depot, ect.... It costs about 9.00 a gallon.

NitroNubee 06-14-2005 01:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Nitroaddict

bopbop - I use DA to clean all my vehicles - you can buy it at any hobby shop as well as most hardware stores such as Lowes, Home Depot, ect.... It costs about 9.00 a gallon.
P.S. to that Nitroaddict:

You can buy it at Wal Mart-type places as well. Only, look in the paint/stain section of the store. I use Simple Green and Iso-alcohol mix in a spray gun powered by my air compressor. Works well, but I may switch to DA. Less water content.