RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC On Road Nitro Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/)
-   -   is it really worth it? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-road-nitro-cars-242/5774408-really-worth.html)

zach brenner 04-26-2007 03:38 PM

is it really worth it?

I'm wondering is a really high end touring car like a serpent 720 really handle that much better then something like the nitro 4-tec 3.3.
the 3.3 is only 375 and the serpent will cost like 800 when you by everything. how does the handling and speed compare?
the 4-tec willl do 70+, can the serpent? is the difference worth 425?

ProRCRacer88 04-26-2007 03:43 PM

RE: is it really worth it?

There is absolutly no kind of comparison between those 2 cars. The 4tec is a rtr car with near 0 handeling no matter what you do to it. is only good for dragracing and will hit 70.
The 720 is a race car, has excellent handeling and depending on the motor and gearing you choose, will definatly hit 70mph and will get there quicker.
The price difference between the two is definatly worth it andthe 4tec isnt worth the money even tho its about 325

zach brenner 04-26-2007 03:52 PM

the 4-tec can't turn at over 45, I guess the serpent can do better?

Foxy 04-26-2007 03:55 PM

ROFLMAO, look I honestly don't mean that to make fun, your post honestly made me laugh out loud. Maybe you're joking? If not, just go to a track and watch them run. Then consider that there are 20 adjustments on these cars that the 4tec does not have, and they are half the weight, they run engines nearly half the size

The serpent will not do 70mph. It will not do anything. It will just sit there until you put an engine and electronics in it, then it'll go as fast as you gear it, up to about 80 reasonably, if you put an OS .18tz in it (which would be another sin!). If a car is geared for such extreme speed, it will have almost no acceleration in the low end, so on a racetrack where you have to slow down for corners it would be near useless. Do you not understand the relationship between gearing, top speed and acceleration? Also the 4tec will NOT reach 70mph out of the box. Never believe the manufacturers guesstimates of speed OR power.

Lastly, in my opinion (compared to the cars I run, so take this in context), the 4tec is an absolute pile of crap. Of all the cars to compare a serpent 720 to, you chose the one that most highlights the gaping chasm between the classes. Seriously, there's absolutely no relationship at all, the competition class cars are 100 times better in EVERY way (except being limited to groomed racetracks by their low ride height).

How many 4tecs competed at the touring car worlds last year? I rest my case.

Foxy 04-26-2007 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: zach brenner

the 4-tec can't turn at over 45, I guess the serpent can do better?
Dude, you're joking with us, right? How many racetracks do you see with 45mph corners? None.

4tec=crap parking lot basher for speed runs only. Serpent 720=track weapon of the highest order.

Now remember 4tec fans, we're comparing the 4tec to competition class cars, that's why I'm saying it's crap, it's a fine beginner car or up and down the street fast, but compared to racing cars, lets face it, it's crap (and it IS 3 times cheaper in it's defense, so what I'm saying MUST be taken in context).

ProRCRacer88 04-26-2007 04:01 PM

how many 4tecs competed in a touring car race at all? lol

Foxy 04-26-2007 04:04 PM

I'm going to bed, I honestly can't wait to see what you're going to have written when I get to work in the morning.

zach brenner 04-26-2007 05:13 PM

I'm not saying they are at all the same. I've seen both. the serpent is "on a rail" and looks like it is glued to the track. the 4-tec goes fast then hits the wall. it is clear the serpent is alot better. sense Im not a real touring car racer i would never get a serpent or use it's abillity's

Igotntc3andrevo 04-26-2007 06:10 PM

Seeing this i would point you in the direction of purchasing a nitro tc3 onroad kit. and buying your own electronics and motor. this will be right inbetween the two vehicles, better than a four tec but not as good as a serpent. And yes it has won titles in racing. but did so some years ago.
Here is the link and look at the factory team not the ready to run
http://teamassociated.com/ae/ntc3/kitntc3.htm

Piero23 04-26-2007 06:12 PM

even a serpent in the hands of a noob will be hitting the boards

just take the shell off of a 4tec it looks like ancient technology, its been the same design for like 15 years!

and as long as they keep selling traxxas will never change it

Igotntc3andrevo 04-26-2007 06:18 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I soooooo agree.

Foxy 04-27-2007 01:43 AM

I'm not saying they are at all the same. I've seen both. the serpent is "on a rail" and looks like it is glued to the track. the 4-tec goes fast then hits the wall. it is clear the serpent is alot better. sense Im not a real touring car racer i would never get a serpent or use it's abillity's
This is a very wise statement. See, you do get it... Horses for courses (or cars for tracks in this case). If you are not a touring car racer then NO it's definitely NOT worth it for you to get a competition class car of any kind. However, the Serpent is worth it's money as a race car (well, maybe it's a little overpriced, but everything in the racing game is, the gits assume anyone who's racing has money to burn).

GT100 04-27-2007 07:15 AM

In just a few words, you get what you pay for. I owned serpents just to bash with and people couldnt figure out why I spent that kind of money to just bash. 1 reason was because I could and another reason was because I would kill everyone where we ran. Needless to say, I sold them all because everyone wanted one when I was finished cleaning the up. Track or bash, the serpent is a winner hands down.

GYNAIKAS 04-27-2007 07:32 AM

Yeap I absolutely agree..4tec would never stand a chance againt a serpent at any condtions.

zach brenner 04-27-2007 06:13 PM

you all seem to have a commin hatrid of the 4-tec, and the serpent is not for me.
how does the ntc3 kit compare to the new hpi 18ss plus

IARacer 04-27-2007 06:48 PM

you all seem to have a commin hatrid of the 4-tec, and the serpent is not for me.
Its not that they all hate the 4-tec, its that any serpent is light years ahead of it.

Igotntc3andrevo 04-27-2007 08:10 PM

how does the ntc3 kit compare to the new hpi 18ss plus
Ok zach asking that last question you did you are going to get mounds of feed back from alot of people so here is my shpeel, Now there are two versions of the nitro tc3. you have the ready to run plus and then you have the kit version of the nitro tc3. Now if you checked or check out that link that i posted for the nitro tc3 you will see both of the cars now in my experience with driving the nitro tc3 kit and the rtr version i have bias towards it but so will other people and there car but here it goes.

Comparing the rtr tc3 to the rs4 .18 ss is really not fair but if you do you would want to chose the hpi rs4 .18 ss because it is in kit form has a few more upgrades and a bigger motor. (Still personally i would still go with the ntc3 and upgrade later)

Now if you compare the ntc3 kit with the rs4 kit you get a fairer comparison buuuuut the only thing is you do not get a radio with the ntc3 kit, body or a motor. now if you go on ebay you can grab a brand new nitro tc3 kit for around 200 dollars, one that has never been put together. then get athe motor of your choice.... one bigger than the .18 that comes in the HPI or one that is race legal. it would totally be up to you....... and then you could also choose your own radio, last but not least your own bodie. now getting the nitro tc3 kit you allow yourself to customize the car more so to your needs than getting the hpi .18 kit. that being said it is still totally up to you.

So all in all here is my take.

If your budget will only allow you to spend around 400 dollars then go with the HPI rs4 .18 kit.

Now if you can spend a little more like around 470ish then i would go with the nitro tc3 kit and purchase my own motor and radio equipment as you will still need a radio with the hpi .18 ss kit.

the reason i give these bold face numbers is becaus i dont know if you will be able to purchase the nitro tc3 kit off ebay depends if one pops up or not. now if you really want to get the best out of the two cars then the best one to get is the factory team nitro tc3. that is around 360 just for the kit but it includes all of associateds factory upgrades. NOW im sorry if i am confusing you but the above associated kit that i mentioned first is discontinued but it is the same car it just comes with half the upgrades as the factory team comes with. now you can find that one on ebay for around 200 dollars or so. but the factory team is the only one you will find in the store.

Wow I know thats a lot let me know if you need any more help or if that is confusing.

Piero23 04-28-2007 11:59 AM

this thread is flame bait

Igotntc3andrevo 04-28-2007 03:24 PM

lol no piero as long as the right people post and give him good information

and none of those knuckle heads post and start making stupid comment.s

2916jr 04-28-2007 07:24 PM

ok here is the end of it all lol serpent=one of the best cars you can buy for racing, 4tec=good basher and a good club racer

Piero23 04-29-2007 02:36 AM

i disagree on the 4tec part but ill leave it at that

Igotntc3andrevo 04-29-2007 03:59 AM

^ ^^^^^^ me to

ProRCRacer88 04-29-2007 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: 2916jr

ok here is the end of it all lol serpent=one of the best cars you can buy for racing, 4tec=good basher and a good club racer
Cant race a car that doesnt corner and doing straight line runs gets boring very quick.:eek:

iacolb12 04-29-2007 12:47 PM

I would disagree about the 4-tec even being a good club racer if you actually want to compete.

Hey the OFNA's and 4-tec's have their place as bashers because they are fun as heck. However, there is a reason the vast majority scoffs at them as racers. (OFNA and Traxxas make good off-roaders on the other hand.)

If you want to bash and race competitively on a budget then get the NTC3. The AE car can hold it's own till you get your skill level up and manage to survive the rookie smack-ups. Then steer towards the Serpents and Mugens.

All this being said, either i missed it or no one said the golden rule, see what the locals race and your hobby shop has parts for. Serpents are great, but most hobby shops don't stock their parts. Mugen is a little more proliferated. So I'm saying you can get better tips and easier access to parts by going with the crowd.

The last rule, get what you really want. If you just want to race occasionally for fun and bash the rest of the time, and you REALLY want the 4-tec, then get the 4-tec.

cjmartins83 09-23-2007 10:57 AM

hey for all around use, the nitro tc3, whether u duy rtr or kit is a good buy, take it from me. i was looking for a good all around road car and a friend came along and said he had a car he wanted to sell for 100 bucks that only ran once before he hit a curb and didnt know how to fix it. i saw it and it so happened to be a ntc3 v2 kit rtr and all that was broken was the hub carrier and front trans case, total 10 bucks max. needed readio cause he lost the original, 50 bucks. body and paint, 25 bucks. and set of foams front and rear, 40 bucks. so i basically got the car and spent toal to get in on the roard with a total of 225 bucks and thats with the stock motor which is honestly fine fo rnow cause i can really handle the car. now if u ebay the car u can do it, now remember not only is the car totally adjustable, but there is upgrades for almost anything to the car, as apposed to the 4-tec where there isnt that many adjustments and upgrades are very little. u put a modded motor whether its a 18tz reg or 18tz eb mod with the right gears ur going to somehwere up there with the 4-tec, but u put a 12 tz mod in there ull have the best of both worlds believe me.
remember the diff with 4-tec and ntc3 is 4-tec narrow and light chasis= light but very flexible around corners. ntc3 wide chasis and rigid, great for corners. suspention on 4-tec, not so adjustable. ntc3 u can set tow and caster and camber for any road couse.