Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here

Finally, Introduction

Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally, Introduction

Been waiting for them to finally open a forum like this for a long time.
The reason I first got into RC again a few years ago was robotics. Since then I've built the MARM (Mobile ARM) robot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZOL-...228B36&index=0
I've also built a companion robot so it can be operated remotely without LOS. The companion is a simple setup with two cameras and a high-power ~1/2 watt wireless ethernet bridge to transmit live images from both it's cameras to a local computer. The ethernet bridge can outrange the RC controls.

I've built pleanty of other robots / robotics over the years, but the MARM is probably the most 'useful' or notable thing I have built. I built two robots for paintball (one had a semi-auto pistol with 10 shots, the other had a powerful fan powered by an E-flite power-60 outrunner motor.)

I remember the hobby shop where I first got some of my RC stuff at was doing a side deal with some company who was a military contractor. The military has developed a ground recon/combat robot known as SWORDS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWORDS
but like everything else developed by the military, they are prohibitively expensive.
They spoke of buying E-maxxes, stripping them down, and then adding things like robotics arms, cameras, etc. Then using them for purposes like disarming (or just detonating) things like roadside bombs and IEDs. I don't know how far it went but it sounds like a good idea.

It seems like robots are part of the popular culture now, for instance this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFJcq...E89B06&index=7
who was an attraction at a local fair I was at several months ago. I have no idea who he was but it was a big hit with the kids.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Default RE: Finally, Introduction

Access, do you do any autonomous stuff?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Access

Not a great deal, I've done pleanty of virtual-autonomous in the past but the real-autonomous is somewhat time consuming. In my College years and a little after we had a graphical combat game called XTank which had a robot add-on that let you duel different virtual robots or robots vs. human players. And before that there were programming games like CRobots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crobots) and similar things which we would use to compete. Someone mentioned the BASIC STAMP, the platform I prefer to use in my RC type projects is the Atmel AVR and I have made pleanty of projects based on that. But nothing that you would call truly autonomous. Building something that is truly autonomous (and adaptable) is a great deal of work -- I can build an autonomous robot that can work in one given setup or one given situation, but that is too specific or narrow to be truly useful on a practical level. I imagine someday in the far future countries like Japan will solve their aging population problems with autonomous robots and China may be forced to solve their gender-population imbalance in a similar way. Already there are people debating things like 'robot rights' in the political arena and once it becomes possible I am sure you will see a rogue / miscreant element of the subculture designing robots to closely resemble human companions and do everything that comes along with that.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Cool.

I like the AVRs. I've used AVRs and the Motorola 68HC11 chips, but I've found the 68HC11s to be somewhat underpowered compared to the more modern AVRs. I've got a ATmega128 coming in the mail, but I'm tired of using WinAVR and C to write my code. I actually recently bought a Game Boy Advance powered controller called the XBoard or something like that. Haven't yet gotten to use it enough to give a verdict.

I've never tried the STAMPs.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 PM
BUDMAN27

Was it just me or did that thing sound like it was getting mad at that door