Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here

noob question, what motor for my robot

Old 01-16-2008, 10:51 AM
1amdesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob question, what motor for my robot

Hi,
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to RC stuff and robots. I want to build a lawnmower RC robot. There are a ton of different motors on the market, I just need a point in the right place to what kind of motor I should be looking for. What kind of controller should I be looking for.

here is are some links on what I'm looking to do.
Thanks

[link]http://youtube.com/watch?v=l8Wz_OXJfyg[/link]
[link]http://members.iinet.net.au/~tnpshow/RCLM/electronics.htm[/link]
Old 01-16-2008, 03:27 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: noob question, what motor for my robot

Wheelchair motors have adequate power, are meant for 12v operation, and come with gearboxes that are geared to use acceptable size tires.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Codeblack

first: OMG!! now a robotics forum?!!!?? thats awesome.

now: as hws said, everything with gearboxes will make your life easier. If you want to go ahead and either attempt a belt drive or chain for low rpm, high torque motors, you could try some of FIRST motors, they are fairly cheap. Or Robotmarketplace.com is a pretty nifty website (some of their motors have planetary boxes which could work pretty well for ya.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/store.html
http://www.ifirobotics.com/
Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 PM
1amdesign

Thanks, I'm going to check out a used electric wheelchair parts/repair shop this Friday. What is a good price that I should shoot for. So I know that I'm not getting ripped off on a used motor.

What kind of torque should I be looking for?

I'm guessing that the finished bot will weight in around 150 lbs. to 200. I need something that can push thought the grass and not go to slow that it would be faster to just push it myself.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:08 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: 1amdesign

Thanks, I'm going to check out a used electric wheelchair parts/repair shop this Friday. What is a good price that I should shoot for. So I know that I'm not getting ripped off on a used motor.

What kind of torque should I be looking for?

I'm guessing that the finished bot will weight in around 150 lbs. to 200. I need something that can push thought the grass and not go to slow that it would be faster to just push it myself.
wheelchair motors should easily do the trick, hey, they were designed for heavy people, going over some prety harsh terain, just remember to use some good batteries, I have heard Marine batteries are best, here is a good site with stuff you may find interesting, http://www.atomiczombie.com/product-robots.htm
Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 PM
1amdesign

Thanks, for the link calvino. Money is tight right now, but I would like to make it completely autonomous in the future.
Right now I'm just try to focus on making it RC controlled. I've got two used car batteries that I was thinking of using. Is that going to be enough power for my bot, are they going to be able to handle the recharge and discharge all of the time?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 PM
hands without shadows

Car batteries are designed to provide a high amp burst for short periods of time (starting the car), after which the alternator takes over. Discharging past that point and recharging will kill the battery eventually and is best left to deep cycle marine batteries. If you have car batteries laying around I would use them, they will work until you can afford better. Eventually when you get some more cash you can switch to marine batteries or add an alternator to the engine to provide electric power. A small backup battery that can start the main engine remotely, at which point the alternator starts to provide power, would be trick.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:24 PM
1amdesign

I think adding a alternator to this robot is past my newbie-ism. I'm most likely will "use up" the spare car batteries first then get the marine batteries.

but, first I need some motors....
Old 01-19-2008, 02:31 PM
1amdesign

I was talking with the wife about my "little" project. She said that it's a good idea but, for the money I could get a riding lawn mower that might have a warranty too. So, in other words it's the end of my project before it even started. Like I said before money is the big problem. So for now I'll just stick with kits, and junk parts.

[&o]