Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here

Cheap disposable r/c boards

Old 01-31-2008, 01:53 PM
CrunchyFrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheap disposable r/c boards

Is anybody familiar with say, cheap disposable r/c cars or boats--sold without the car body ??? I'm tired of stripping the car off to get the electronics.

I do mean cheap. If I bought a nice Futaba set, I might have to use actual servos instead of the motors in my stockpile from sacrificed cars. I don't want to use a $12 servo when I can pull a "free" generic motor from the spare parts.

I'm refurbishing a sub I built last year out of r/c cars. It could go to Davy Jones on the very next trip...so I stick to the cheap, disposable-grade 27 / 49 MHz stuff.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Lorduss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cheap disposable r/c boards

a few bucks spent on decent electronics may go the extra mile for you, if you build a proper airtight container for your electronics you should have no problems, servos fair pretty well after getting wet and even submerged. and you can do things like sealing the boards with grease to help as well. an rx will allways be fubur after hitting water but can usually be replaced cheaply (especially on like ebay buys and such) but servo's and drivemotor should be ok. allthough it does depend on the type of sub your finshing. ive forgotton my rc sub terms but i doubt your building one with a seperate air balist control system, there for it has to power it self forward to dive downward, and apon losing power will rise it self back up to the surface when the buoyancy is correctly setup. as long as you have a way of reteriving it from out in the water you should allmost never lose it.
best of luck.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Wild Foamy

"Dynamic Diver" = a Submarine that uses adjustable fins (diveplanes) to propel itself under the water when enough forward momentum is obtained

or you could make it a static diver with an actuator pump or air tank (sucks water into a tank to dive, blows it out with air/pumps it out to surface)

a WTC (Water-Tight-Container) is often used to protect all electrical components, but bear in mind all subs have a critical depth and should you exceed that then it will be lost as the water pressure would crush it.

i tend to go for the mid-budget range components (like Towerpro Servos from ebay) so if you do happen to loose your sub your not out of pocket that much, but youve got decent gear to run with so theres less chance of any failures being equipment related
Old 10-10-2008, 03:25 PM
j33p3r
My Feedback: (142)

I have quite a few working 27 MHZ tx and rx combos, servos, everything from rc cars except the bodies and wheels.
let me know what you need, you can email me at [email protected] and I can send a few to you for the cost of shipping. I have too much gear laying around.

thanks

jp
ORIGINAL: CrunchyFrog

Is anybody familiar with say, cheap disposable r/c cars or boatssold without the car body ??? I'm tired of stripping the car off to get the electronics.

I do mean cheap. If I bought a nice Futaba set, I might have to use actual servos instead of the motors in my stockpile from sacrificed cars. I don't want to use a $12 servo when I can pull a "free" generic motor from the spare parts.

I'm refurbishing a sub I built last year out of r/c cars. It could go to Davy Jones on the very next trip...so I stick to the cheap, disposable-grade 27 / 49 MHz stuff.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:20 PM
qwertypemdas
My Feedback: (1)

solution for servos!!! Go to a local rc flying club, find the oldest guy there (or president, because they usually got this too) and ask if they have some spare servo's. My flight instructor/former president gives me free servo's from his bucket of probably about 500 old servo's. lolz, airplane guys like me always got 100's of servo's laying around that we'll never use.