Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here

Robots in Popular Culture

Old 02-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robots in Popular Culture

Did anyone watch the super bowl last night? There was some kind of advertisement where that _awful_ fox robot that had been bugging everyone all year was destroyed by a terminator robot from another TV series / movie franchise. It seems like popular culture has a love-hate relationship with robots, on one hand fearing them while on the other hand still fascinated by them and thinking they are 'cool'. The robots depicted as icons in popular culture seem so far from the truth of what exists today (ie. ASIMO), robots which are more of a danger to themselves than anything or anyone else. When I was young I remember seeing a movie "runaway" about homicidal robots and that (along with the other more well-known movies / shows of the time) pretty much summed up the popular culture feeling on robots. Even today, a terminator (fictional robot designed to kill people) might be something of a cultural icon while if I mention ASIMO to someone on the street, they might take it only as a south park reference and not even know of the actual robot.