Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots
Reload this Page >

Robots? A poll: Please reply with your choice, A or B, for each set

Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here
View Poll Results: A poll
1A - I’d be more interested in wheeled/tracked robots
12.21%
1B - I’d be more interested in humanoid robots
9.92%
2A - I would prefer an RC controlled robot
10.69%
2B - I would like to get into using software to program a robot
9.92%
3A - I would prefer a reconfigurable kit like the Bioloid
12.21%
3B - I would prefer a single purpose robot like the Futaba
6.11%
4A – These kinds of hobby robots are new to me
8.40%
4B – I already am aware of these kinds of robots
10.69%
5A - I am interested in this hobby robotics stuff
14.50%
5B - Nah, I like my RC cars and probably wouldn’t pick up robots
5.34%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Robots? A poll: Please reply with your choice, A or B, for each set

Old 03-25-2008, 03:05 PM
TrossenRobotics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robots? A poll: Please reply with your choice, A or B, for each set

Hello everyone,

I’m Matt from TrossenRobotics.com where we sell hobby robotics. We are thinking about buying advertising in some RC car magazines & sites in order to introduce your crowd to the world of hobby robotics because we think RC car nuts would like robotics. BUT, we don’t know what you guys may or may not be interested in so we wanted to ask you

There are 5 questions we’d like to ask, please just check A or B for each one. And of course, we want to hear what ever input you would like to give in the posts.

Links to the robots mentioned are provided for review. We aren't trying to sell them to you right now. We will buy advertising for that
For #1B: [link=http://www.trossenrobotics.com/Humanoid-Robot-Kit.aspx]Humanoid Robots[/link]
For #3A: [link=http://www.trossenrobotics.com/bioloid-robot-kits.aspx]Bioloid Kit[/link]
For #3B: [link=http://www.trossenrobotics.com/futaba-rbt-1-humanoid-robot.aspx]Futaba Humanoid Kit[/link]

We are thinking that people who enjoy RC cars and racing will also have an interest in [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOgroFrJJz0]competative humanoid fighting[/link]. Does this seem cool to you guys or more Meh?

Thanks to everyone who gives us there 2 cents!

Matt
Old 03-25-2008, 03:36 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Robots? A poll: Please reply with your choice, A or B, for each set

Cool robots. Just wondering, about how much might humanoid type robots go for?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Access

Bear with me here plz... you didn't talk about it in the poll but here's what I want to see. I want to see robots that are truly useful, that serve, are designed to serve, or can be made to serve some inherent purpose, of course I want them to offer some configurability and design, but when you're done, you should end up with something that is more than just a novelty, a toy, or a gimmick. Just like with our RC cars, you have real hobby grade vehicles and you have the toys you buy at wall-mart and target. The robots today just seem like too much of the latter.

Why does everything have to be about fighting / competition? Why can't robots be built to aid humanity and make our lives easier. We have a growing population of retirees and we have tens of thousands of people coming back from the war who need some help to live a normal life. IMO the robots we build should be dedicated to helping out these folks or doing something to improve the world we live in, make our lives easier, etc. Rather than... fighting and destroying... each other. I have built several robots and sure there are competitions, but the object isn't to destroy the other guy. It's to try to build the most 'useful' robot or the one that best accomplishes a given task. Seriously that's what I'd like to see more of. If I want to see humanoid robots fighting each other, I can see that on TV, movies, or a video game.

Anyways there is a robotics forum here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_490/tt.htm
might want to try there instead.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:13 PM
sheograth

I agree 100% with Access, the future of robotics to me is service. I want to see robots that do hazardous and undesirable jobs so that people don't have to.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:29 AM
Access

Another thing the poll doesn't really designate is the RC / autonomous. I would like to see an interface like with the VEX where it can equally do either. Many people will never go beyond the RC usage and even someone who is making a full autonomous design will probably need to use the RC control at first. Likewise with a full (or partial) autonomous you might want a manual override for when the software is unfinished or insufficient to do the job. These things aren't mutually exclusive like the poll makes them out to be.

And 1a/b I want configurable. I see a lot of things with legs or humanoid shape for novelty when in reality another shape/mobility would do the job better. At the same time legs might be more useful in an environment designed for humans like an urban setting or the like.

Another real important thing is remote viewing. For true remote control it should have a number of cams and position readouts as to allow non-LOS control. With RC we are very used to looking at what we are controlling, but with a robot it could be far away or simply out of sight and it should still be usable.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:27 AM
TheTruckingGuru

Yes I believe advertising in RC magazines can be a cost effective way of boosting sales. I would first ask the RC magazines to share some details of their subscribers and then tailor your advertisements to target them. People who fly RC planes may also be interested in Robots. Some RC flying publications (Fly RC) will likely have an older subscriber base who have more disposable income. Xtreme RC will have a younger subscriber base. Both should be marketed to if you intend to expand your customer base beyond students and die hard geeks (judging from the ads and articles in Robot magazine). Tell you what Matt send me a Robonova RTW pre-programmed to fight and a TrossenRobotics uniform and will represent you at Robogames 2008 next month for the weekend. I will learn my young apprentice in the ways of Rex Kwon Do! PM for details.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

Ever since I was introduced to RC I've wanted an RC humanoid that could walk, run, climb, and fight (not unlike Rock-um Sock-um Robots ). These are so awesome! I like the i-SOBOT because of the way it looks and its afforability. The Futaba RBT-11 is even more amazing, but I think that the Kondo KHR-2HV takes the cake! The Genex suit sets it off, but the overall functions seem even better than the Futaba. I can really see myself getting into this aspect of the RC hobby, once I can get my hands on one. Maybe the 1st of August.

Very Cool!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 AM
eagledancer

i am a aircraft nut, tried the cars a few times and just wasnt for me, but when it comes to robots i have just started building a full size R2D2 planning on rc control to start with and hopefully end up full autonomous, with abilility to still use rc for times when i have it out in public (wouldnt want him to get confused in a crowd and not know who to follow)
so yes you might want to advertise in the aircraft mags as well.