Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here

Arduino for autonomous robots?

Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 PM
ddrake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arduino for autonomous robots?

Hi all,
Am new to microprocessor programming but am a programmer by profession.
Am looking around to understand how to develop an autonomous moving platform, open to be guided / communicate through different modules.
So far am attracted to Arduino potentials as mother board of this project. Makes pic programming easier, has direct control on PWM channels, can be easily interfaced, as even Xbee modules and the processor used, an ATmega168, seems powerful enough for most needs.
So my question is.. how comes no one here is talking about it? Are there known limits / downfalls of this board for robotics? Anyone working on projects with it?

For starters I would like to do something like this:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...num=1173623665

or

http://www.irit.fr/~Nicolas.Lassabe/robot.php

regards
Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 AM
dknovick

Default RE: Arduino for autonomous robots?

ORIGINAL: ddrake

Am looking around to understand how to develop an autonomous moving platform, open to be guided / communicate through different modules.
So far am attracted to Arduino potentials as mother board of this project.
The Arduion is a great platform to get started on. More then enough processing power for a robot and it has a lot of plug in boards to do other things.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:51 PM
ddrake

Thank you for your reply. I will try it out
Old 02-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: ddrake
Am new to microprocessor programming but am a programmer by profession.
If you are an apps programmer, have you ever thought of just using a PC/104 board or similar platform?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC104

There are industrial EBX boards for as little as $200. that take CF cards for nonvolitale storage (in place of a hard disk) and you can easily run something like Ubuntu or Fedora on them. You get ethernet, USB, a bunch of standard stuff and the only real downside is power consumption, I used a fanless 400MHz Pentium-equivelent board once and it would draw between 5 to 15 Watts. If you put one of these in your 'bot, it's essentially a PC, you can plug in a monitor, keyboard, mouse, all the other stuff and program it just like you would program a PC. There are interface and industrial control boards to do the PWM or motor / servo controls.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM
ddrake

Hi,
we use something similar for small servers for web services when it would be too much encumberance and overkill to use a full server.
Still, as you point out, this solution has the disadvantage of higher power consumption and bigger size.
May be a second step if requests overcome the limits of an Arduino architecture. What these limits are is still quite obscure to me...