RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-robotics-autonomous-robots-490/)
-   -   Need help on Wifi RC car (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-robotics-autonomous-robots-490/9712579-need-help-wifi-rc-car.html)

healwhat 05-05-2010 12:58 PM

Need help on Wifi RC car

<div id="TixyyLink" style="border-bottom: medium none; text-align: left; border-left: medium none; background-color: transparent; color: #000000; overflow: hidden; border-top: medium none; border-right: medium none; text-decoration: none">hi people,

I am planning to build a WIFI remote control car with a web cam attach on it. Previously i only have the experience of building an RC car using RF transmitter and receiver. So i really need some advise how should or in other words what should i do to make the router attach on my car be become a receiver. After some research from the internet, i found this project similiar with what im planing to do,

http://www.robotics-redefined.com/in...=page&amp;id=4

However it seems like it is using a circuit called the Barracuda WiFi Robot controller to control the motors of the car n connect to the router. May i know what is this Barracuda WiFi Robot controller? After surfing the internet i cant really gain much infomation about this stuff. Does anyone know where can i get this thing and how much it cost?

Need some advise for my this project. Thank you.

Sorry for my bad english!

</div>

Access 05-05-2010 01:27 PM

RE: Need help on Wifi RC car

I'm not sure what it is myself but there are some ready-made solutions out (the equivelent of RTRs in the RC world) there if that's what you are looking for. If you want a mobile webcam, there's robots like spykee which you can get for a few hundred dollars (maybe less on e-bay) and do everything of most of what you want them to do already.

What you want to do actually becomes something of an undertaking b'cos one needs to make a bunch of parts that can all interoperate well together.

1) The client application, running typically on a PC, that displays the webcam, and gives you the controls to move the robot around.
2) Internet link (rather trivial these days).
3) Wireless router link (also rather trivial).
4) Robot firmware, to convert the TCP/IP packets it receives, ultimately from the user and (1), and convert these to PWM signals that our RC peripherals use. The same in reverse for the webcam, digitize it and convert it to TCP/IP packets (though there are pleanty of ethernet webcams do this already).
5) Robot hardware and the know-how to hook it all up.

#1 and #4 are not something the typical person can do, even with pleanty of time. Most people here can do #5 and there's pleanty of people who can do #2, #3. So they're best relying on ready-made solutions. The spykee robot is just an example, it's been a year or two so there's probably something better out there now. The barracuda unit you mentioned above looks like a way to do #4, but it doesn't necessarily inter-operate with our RC stuff.

healwhat 05-05-2010 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Access

I'm not sure what it is myself but there are some ready-made solutions out (the equivelent of RTRs in the RC world) there if that's what you are looking for. If you want a mobile webcam, there's robots like spykee which you can get for a few hundred dollars (maybe less on e-bay) and do everything of most of what you want them to do already.

What you want to do actually becomes something of an undertaking b'cos one needs to make a bunch of parts that can all interoperate well together.

1) The client application, running typically on a PC, that displays the webcam, and gives you the controls to move the robot around.
2) Internet link (rather trivial these days).
3) Wireless router link (also rather trivial).
4) Robot firmware, to convert the TCP/IP packets it receives, ultimately from the user and (1), and convert these to PWM signals that our RC peripherals use. The same in reverse for the webcam, digitize it and convert it to TCP/IP packets (though there are pleanty of ethernet webcams do this already).
5) Robot hardware and the know-how to hook it all up.

#1 and #4 are not something the typical person can do, even with pleanty of time. Most people here can do #5 and there's pleanty of people who can do #2, #3. So they're best relying on ready-made solutions. The spykee robot is just an example, it's been a year or two so there's probably something better out there now. The barracuda unit you mentioned above looks like a way to do #4, but it doesn't necessarily inter-operate with our RC stuff.
Hey buddy,
Thank youfor our advise. By the way, can u recommend any web site or tutorial for configuring wifi for this kind of project? that includes the hook up all the parts such as the motor, router and web cam.

thank you.

Access 05-05-2010 03:12 PM

Every device is specific, the typical setup involves a home wireless network behind a router / firewall that the robot runs on. Connecting from a computer that is behind / inside this firewall should work out-of-the-box. Now if you are connecting over the internet, ie. you're at a friends' house and you want to connect over the internet to your home network to use the robot, your firewall is likely to block this. You need to set up the firewall appropriately, it needs to recognize incoming traffic on the port and redirect it to the robot's local address. Some routers have a port redirection feature that is easy to set up this way, it also helps to lock down the robot's local address rather than let DHCP give it a new local address all the time. Or I think you can do a custom NAT table, every router I've used is a little different here but most of the modern ones can do port redirection rather easily.