Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

New to RC Crawling....Did I Smoke My ESC on New Exceed Mad Torque?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

New to RC Crawling....Did I Smoke My ESC on New Exceed Mad Torque?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 AM
1000cc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC Crawling....Did I Smoke My ESC on New Exceed Mad Torque?

Hello all.....Irealize this is a pretty rookie question but Iam trying to determine if Ineed to shell out a bit of cash on a replacement ESC or if there is something simple Ican do to fix the problem Iam having.

About a week ago Ireceived an Exceed Mad Torque 1/10 Crawler RTR 2.4ghz. Initially Iwas really pleased with the performance of crawler especially considering the price. Since it is winter time here Ihave only been playing around with the crawler indoors and probably ran the battery through it 3 or 4 times without any issues.

However beginning yesterday Inoticed that when Ilet go of the throttle (after driving the crawler FORWARD) sometimes the crawler would almost "jump" backwards.....sometimes it would just start going backwards and is unresponsive to the remote control when trying to reverse direction or simply just trying to stop the crawler from moving at all. Ihave played endlessly with the throttle trim settings on the remote and although it makes a SLIGHT improvement it always feels like at any moment when I release the throttle the crawler wants to start moving backwards (often in a sudden jump backwards).

Now Ihave to confess a stupid mistake Imade........a couple of days ago Imistakenly plugged the battery charger into the ESC plugs (when I intended to plug charger into the battery to recharge).......it was a careless mistake and Irealized Ihad made the mistake about 5 minutes later when Inoticed the LEDon the charger was blinking erratically rather than showing a solid RED to indicate a battery charge.

I have drawn the conclusion that this mistake may have ruined the ESC? But I am not certain. Iam somewhat new to RC hobby so Ifigured checking into the forums might steer me in the right direction.

If the stock ESC is junk can someone recommend a suitable replacement? The Mad Torque features twin 540 brushed motors. I also plan on running a 2s 5000mah 20c lipo if that makes any difference when selecting another ESC to replace the stock unit. I was thinking of just upgrading to brushless ESC/brushless twin 540 motors but decided against this as Ireally do not want to sink that much money into this budget crawler.....I would really just like to keep the stock brushed motors for the time being.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:50 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New to RC Crawling....Did I Smoke My ESC on New Exceed Mad Torque?

not sure if plugging the ESC into the charger did damage or not........i did the same thing 2 months ago LOL! but it didnt hurt the ESC.
but it may depend on what charger we have.

anyway, your problem could be a bad ESC or a bad reciever.

if you decide to replace the ESC, look up the outcry duel motor ESC.
i have one on my rs10.
it can handle 3s lipo, has a fan and also comes with an external bec. all for $65
Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 AM
1000cc

Thanks for fast reply - hello from one Mainer to another (Bangor area for me)

I appreciate your ESC recommendation - Ifigured Iwould have to buy an ESC specifically designed for twin motor set up.

Before Ipurchase the ESC Iam going to replace the stock Exceed TX/RX with a spare HPI TX/RX Ihave left over from my new Savage Flux 2350 (swapped a 2.4ghz unit into the Flux).......installing the HPI radio will help narrow down if the problem is really the ESC or just a bad stock Exceed radio.

Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1000cc

Thanks for fast reply - hello from one Mainer to another (Bangor area for me)

I appreciate your ESC recommendation - I figured I would have to buy an ESC specifically designed for twin motor set up.

Before I purchase the ESC I am going to replace the stock Exceed TX/RX with a spare HPI TX/RX I have left over from my new Savage Flux 2350 (swapped a 2.4ghz unit into the Flux).......installing the HPI radio will help narrow down if the problem is really the ESC or just a bad stock Exceed radio.

Thanks again.
thats a good idea to test another radio 1st.
here is a link to the ESC :http://www.tgndistributing.com/outcr...n-and-bec.html
i looked over the specs again. you will have to find out if the motors in the exceed are higher than 30t. im pretty sure they are tho.
the esc doesnt have a low-voltage-cutoff. but i just use a $5 low-votage alarm from ebay.

ever been upto granite leisure time in oakland? they got a pretty neat rock crawling wall indoors. and the store has a good stock or everything RC.
mostly, i do my crawling in small streams, though the woods, snow banks and whatever else i can find around the house!

i have the redcat rs10 crawler, and i have the 1/8 scale crawler version arriving friday!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 PM
1000cc

I had heard about the RC shop in Oakland and Ichecked them out online but have not had a chance to stop by yet - looks like a great facility.

I am going to try the radio swap tonight - if that doesn't fix the problem Iguess Iwill replace the ESC with the one you linked to - thanks again.