Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

CC-01 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:23 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CC-01 questions

well, i just bought the cc-01 kit off ebay. $155 shipped
i know its a scale truck, but i will want to make it as capable as possible.
question:

does 12mm hex rims fit? the stock tires look cool, but i want some that will grip better(mud/snow ect)

can i raise the ride hight some? maybe blocks under the springs?

can the front diff be locked?

i already have a 2.4ghz Rx, and a metal geared servo. so, $150 for a new truck to build and play with isnt bad[8D]
Old 03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CC-01 questions

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

well, i just bought the cc-01 kit off ebay. $155 shipped
i know its a scale truck, but i will want to make it as capable as possible.
question:

does 12mm hex rims fit? the stock tires look cool, but i want some that will grip better(mud/snow ect)

can i raise the ride hight some? maybe blocks under the springs?

can the front diff be locked?

i already have a 2.4ghz Rx, and a metal geared servo. so, $150 for a new truck to build and play with isnt bad[8D]
Yes, it uses 12mm hex wheels.

The cc01 uses standard coil over shocks. So if you want to lift it you could either get longer shocks, or modify the existing ones, such as using longer rod ends on the bottom.

It doesn't include a special piece for locking the front diff like it does for the rear. If it uses the front diff I think it does, though, you can take one of the diff spider gears and place it between the other two.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:40 PM
zman5000

it does take some modding to do a lift on a cc-01, you have to change the steering and the front dog bones have to go and then you have to deal with the "brick wall" on the front. i did manage a 1in lift on mine and it took some doing. gpm has a lot of parts for them. it's only money in this hobby.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: zman5000

it does take some modding to do a lift on a cc-01, you have to change the steering and the front dog bones have to go and then you have to deal with the ''brick wall'' on the front. i did manage a 1in lift on mine and it took some doing. gpm has a lot of parts for them. it's only money in this hobby.
how much "lift" can i get with bigger tires without them hitting the fenders?
id like to get 1/2 inch or so on the front/rear, and slightly larger tires.
i have done alittle looking and see that the steering is a pain. i think that will take the most figuring out. and i have read that the stock steering setup is the biggest flaw of the truck. im hoping a high-torque servo will help.

any pics of yours with it lifted?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:27 PM
zman5000

yes i do have a pic, though it's not quite done, i have to fill in the wheel wells for more scale look. it has cliff climber tires/wheels and frontdogbones with modded lower arms and lowered steering bellcrank. also has associated t3 front shocks allthe way around.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58601.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1573274  
Old 03-04-2011, 06:29 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

yes i do have a pic, though it's not quite done, i have to fill in the wheel wells for more scale look. it has cliff climber tires/wheels and front dogbones with modded lower arms and lowered steering bellcrank. also has associated t3 front shocks all the way around.
what did the dog bones come off of? i assume they are just alittle longer than the stock ones?
are the t3 shocks rear ones or front ones(or are they the same lenght anyway?)
Old 03-05-2011, 06:39 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

yes i do have a pic, though it's not quite done, i have to fill in the wheel wells for more scale look. it has cliff climber tires/wheels and front dogbones with modded lower arms and lowered steering bellcrank. also has associated t3 front shocks all the way around.
what did the dog bones come off of? i assume they are just alittle longer than the stock ones?
are the t3 shocks rear ones or front ones(or are they the same lenght anyway?)
Old 03-05-2011, 08:09 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Ok, my cc-01 arrived today. already built the truck. just gotta paint the body and do all the detail work.
i would like to be able to run my scx10 tires on this thing. but the front needs to be lifted a fair bit. the rears no problem, just needs longer shocks.

id love to know how you mooded the lower arms and what dogbones you used(i assume they are longer than the stock ones?)
Old 03-06-2011, 06:57 AM
zman5000

you just articulate the front arms with the shock and wheel off and you can see where you need to remove material and then dremel away. and i used cliff climber dogbones with redshock orings in all the drive cups. i also made my own upper camber links out of some old tie rod stock i had laying around and i lowered the steering bellcrank with some 1/4 in spacers. it takes some time but i think it looks good.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:12 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

you just articulate the front arms with the shock and wheel off and you can see where you need to remove material and then dremel away. and i used cliff climber dogbones with red shock orings in all the drive cups. i also made my own upper camber links out of some old tie rod stock i had laying around and i lowered the steering bellcrank with some 1/4 in spacers. it takes some time but i think it looks good.
thank you. yeh, looking at it i was thinking that the upper camber link would need to be longer if i was to lower the suspension. otherwise the camber angle would be way off.
i pick up some cliff climber dogbones off ebay.

i did trim some of the front arms, to allow the "C" hub to rest further into the arm. and i trimmed out the steering stops on the C hub.

i also am using a high-torque steering servo. has soo much torque that the servo mount flexes....lol.

any ideas what kinda tires/rims i could get that are not much taller than the stock tires, but that are much softer with meatier tread?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:14 PM
zman5000

since the cc01 uses 12mm hex drives you can use any 1.9 crawler wheel/tire combo, or you can go with 2.2 stuff. i've seen on cc01's rc4wd mud slingers, and they looked good. i just used the cliff climber tires/wheels as i put the venom crawler wheels/tires on the cliff climber. but that's another post.