Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

New Guy with AX10

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM
rcdyna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy with AX10

I'm new to crawlers and have purchased a stock AX10. When going up a steep incline if I stop, the crawler will start to roll backwards. Is this normal? I thought the crawler would hold on a incline, I can keep the crawler from rolling backwards with throttle adjustment, but once on level ground the crawler will move forward with no throttle input.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
zman5000

Default RE: New Guy with AX10

if you have the rtr ax10 the speed control has no drag brake, the other issue is progamming the speed control, or the neutral needs to be set back on your radio.a lot of peopleuse a tekin fxr speed control. it does everything you need it to do.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
mudbucket72

like the drag brake isnt working .. or it doesent have one??... but if the incline is too steep even the drag brake isnt gonna hold it so if ur in that position i would suggest holding the throttle just enough to keep it there till you have ur next move
Old 03-03-2011, 04:23 PM
zman5000

the tekin fxr will hold on a hill, i have one and they do work, and not that much money-win win
Old 03-03-2011, 05:27 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the stock axial speed control does not have drag brake. this is the feature that will hold the truck still when your throttle trigger is in neutral.

look up the outcry ESC. its about $60. it has drag brake...and no-delay reverse(no more double pumping forward on the trigger to get it to back up) as well as a fan and external bec.

the stock axial ESC is not really for a crawler. its a decent "all around" esc. but anyone who wants a real crawler will have to upgrade it.

as well as locking the front diff, and putting a high-torque servo, and gearing down the motor(or swapping in a higher-turn motor)
Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Shades of Pain

What's the top speed on these stock. Iknow that they aren't really made for speed, but I was just curious.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:07 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Shades of Pain

What's the top speed on these stock. I know that they aren't really made for speed, but I was just curious.
thats the cool thing about the ax10 IMO, is that the top speed can be changed in just 1-2 minutes by swapping out the pinion gear!
larger one means more speed, smaller one means less speed/but more torque.

the RTR version comes with 2 different pinion gears. the larger of the 2 gets you maybe 8-10mph. not very fast, but if you are going top speed over rough terrain its a blast!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Shades of Pain

Cool. I really like the looks of these scalers. I think it'll be my next R/C. Not sure if I want to do the kit or the RTR. Any suggestions? Oh, one other thing, what's MOA?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:38 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Cool. I really like the looks of these scalers. I think it'll be my next R/C. Not sure if I want to do the kit or the RTR. Any suggestions? Oh, one other thing, what's MOA?
MOA is motor over axial. refers to trucks that run a pair of motors over the axles with independent gear boxes.
advantages are that the axle housings often have more clearance, and there are no driveshafts to get hung up on rocks.
disadvantages are that changing the wheel speed requires either changing both motors, or both pinion gears.
but the added clearance makes MOA crawlers work much better.
i have a MOA, and 2 axial ax10's. the MOA crawler can out-perform the axials on really tough rocks. but the axials are more fun, as they have more wheel speed and i can drive them in snow/mud. they make really good trucks for a variety of surfaces.

axial now has a MOA, the XR-10 i think its called. the axles are super slim! tons of clearance. its a hard-core rock crawler for sure.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 AM
Shades of Pain

Ok, cool. Thanks for the input! I think a scaler would be better for me with the terrain I have close to me. My other R/C is a MGT 8.0. Kinda want something I can run indoors.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:27 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Ok, cool. Thanks for the input! I think a scaler would be better for me with the terrain I have close to me. My other R/C is a MGT 8.0. Kinda want something I can run indoors.
axial scx10 or maybe the venom safari creeper or tamiya cc-01. the tamiya is the most scale, but the venom or axial are still nice and scale but much more capable.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:12 AM
rcdyna

Thanks guys for all the info