Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

new to tenth scale

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 PM
greenfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to tenth scale

Hi, im somewhat new tenth scale rock crawling. My first tenth scale rock crawler wan't so great, so i sold it. I mostly run losi micro crawlers but im thinking of getting back into tenth scale again. but so far ive narrowed my choices down to the Gmade R1, Losi Comp, and the Tamiya CR01. I was just wondering if i could get some feedback from people that have owned these crawlers. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:09 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new to tenth scale

Have you looked at the Axial AX10?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 PM
moezer

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Have you looked at the Axial AX10?
Old 04-05-2011, 02:35 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the venom creeper isnt bad either, for the price.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM
zman5000

you might check out rc4wd.com and look at the rtr bully. nowadys the dual motor (moa) crawlers rule.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 PM
ReaperGN

Considering the price and whats needed to get it running the kyosho rock force is the meanest 1/10 scale out there. It was designed with 1/8 scale parts so its super beefy. The only problem with it is either you can drive it or you cant. Many people whoop up on moa's while others just cant handle it.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i have a venom safari creeper. other than the front "C" hubs needing to be upgraded to the alloy ones(broke 3 of the stock ones) its a nice truck.
unlike the axial scx10, which is a scale truck but is kinda limited in travel and tire choice(unless you mod it) the venom safari is a larger scale truck(closer to 1/8 scale then 1/10) so most 2.2 wheels and tires fit and still look scale. they provide much more traction than the scx10's scale narrow tires. it also has alittle more flex than the scx10.

i had a scx10, cause they do look awsome. but in stock form i didnt care for the limitations. slap some wider 2.2 tires and its much better, but kills the scale look because you will either have to trim the body alot or deal with major body rub. the safari creeper being larger still looks fairly scale with wider 2.2 tires on it.
mine has imex swamp dawg tires on it. have worked very well in the snow!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM
ReaperGN

What exactly are you talking about. He asked for a crawler not a scale truck.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 AM
The Mad Modder

Myself, I've driven an Axial ax10, Tamiya cr01 and I own a Wheely king I modded to crawl.
Ax10-It's a good truck, but at least the RTR rockracer has incredibly stiff springs. I also don't like how the pinion and spur gear are exposed, with no cover. There is massive parts support, though, for both replacement and upgrade parts.

Wheely king- It can also be a great crawler, but it will take a bit of work out of the box. The stock steering system has a lot of slop, so it's best to mount the servo on the axle. Flipping the chassis will also help a lot(so the battery is in front). Upgrade parts support is kinda of sparse.

Tamiya cr01- Probably my favorite to drive of the three. It has a lot of options for tuning. Sway bars are included for higher speed driving(they can be left off for crawling), differentials can be locked and unlocked without having to open the axles case. I love that it has good wheel speed, yet the planetary transmission gives it good torque. It doesn't have as many upgrades available as the ax10, but more than the wheely king. Tamiya has a pretty good selection of upgrades.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:06 PM
greenfish

thanks everyone, i guess i should have mentioned that the crawler i had and didn't like was a venom creeper. i actually run rc4wd rims and tires on my losi micro crawler, but there vehicles are a bit too pricey for me. im really not all that intrested in the axial crawlers, they're so main stream now im kinda turned off by them. but i dont know too many people running cr01's or Gmades. Im kinda leaning toward the Gmade R1, its pretty large for being tenth scale, and some of the things it seemed to have over the CR01 are the portal axles, it looks to be less top heavy, and its a complete open-wheel desing. Not putting the CR01 down though, im still a huge tamiya fan. 
Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

what did you not like about your venom creeper? other than the weak "C" hubs and freakishly load tranny?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 PM
ReaperGN

Give the Kyosho Rock Force a look. Everything on it is super sized and the price has come way down since launch. Plus its a bit exclusive and looks beast.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:38 PM
greenfish

well, kyosho parts are super hard to get, but i have checked the rock force out before. in regaurd to my old venom creeper, just about everything having to do with the axles was junk, it just didnt impress me that much.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 PM
ReaperGN

It does suck trying to get kyosho parts but luckily the Rock Force should not need replacement parts. About all you might need are new links which are available from many company's. I am probably gonna get one very soon. While looking through info and parts I found once you have the kit you don't have to deal with kyosho unless you want the dig kit. And for 250 its very hard to beat the Rock Force. I would like a gmade R1 but for formula offroad.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:21 PM
zman5000

nowadays a shafty crawler is only good for a scale rig or sportsman class at a comp, that's the reason i suggested the rtr bully crawler. there are other moa crawlers out there but they are a lot more expensive. and if you want you can do a moa crawler as a scaler and they climb like nothing else with no torque twist no matter what motors or batteries you use. i did just that and even though it's not finished the lack of torque twist is awesome.