Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Good rock crawler for newbies?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Good rock crawler for newbies?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 07:15 AM
Mysterious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good rock crawler for newbies?

My RC addiction is spinning out of control and now I'm thinking of adding a rock crawler to my growing collection of something to play with....... not looking to break the bank... just pick a good quality RTC (Ready to Crawl) package.... not junk, but not high-end pro... can anyone suggest something that's a good buy for a casual crawler newbie?

The LHS has a Losi Night Crawler RTR in its window... no idea if its good.

Could everyone just toss out some brands/models? I assume 1/10 is likely the best size? I assume 1/16 has real limits?
Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 AM
madmax8

Default RE: Good rock crawler for newbies?

You might look at the Exceed Maxstone8. Its a good low priced 1/8 scale crawler. It has several upgrades availible. Get it from Nitrorcx.com
Old 06-24-2011, 07:36 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want some thing fun and that you can add to take a look at the Axial scale trucks..
Old 06-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm seriously consiering the Losi mini rock crawler (MRC) myself for indoor fun when it's too hot (yeh, that's right, too HOT) outside to go bashing, and I have been looking at the vids of various crawlers on da toob, and the one that's impressed me the most so far for what it is, is the losi mini. It looks really good, check youtube for losi MRC.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Mysterious

Stupid question time... are most rock crawlers brushed? I always thought brushed was inferior to brushless....
Old 06-25-2011, 09:58 AM
gokemidoro

Foxy,

The Losi MRCis a fantastic little machine. Ihad one - no troubles of any kind, even after it was modded with a WalMart Jeep body. In fact, it crawled BETTER with that body on it, than it did stock!
I did not alter the drivetrain, so it would stay durable, but used Lipo batteries for power and lights (it ran two 2s LiPos for Associated minis) The elctronics had to be relocated, but the crawler was sold, and is STILLrunning strong! Put one wrap of lead weight in each wheel (I know that "pros"say to weight just the front wheels, but try all four, on the MRC - it crawls like a snake!!). I also made the shocks droop type - works much better with droop.

Mysterious,

The Losi Night Crawler is an excellent crawler! Losi began using plastic links, but that didn't affect it's crawling capability. The Night Crawler has all the options to make a competition crawler, too, so if you decide to compete, the LNC will do you fine. If the LNC is too expensive, try the Losi MRC(mini rock crawler). It's a mini, yes, but a VERYcapable mini. The one I modded could run with the 1/10th scale rigs in most conditions.

Axials are great, too, if not a bit expensive. My own comp crawler is a heavily modded Axial Scorpion ARTC. It's obsolete for competitions now, but like all Axials, can be made current with a few parts.

Oh, BTW, Brushed has no real advantage in crawling, over brushless, except power, which will be less than a brushless system, but not so low that it cannot compete. A good 55T-65T brushed motor will have the torque to do what it needs to do, so there really isn't an advantage. Some guys like to have lots of power on-hand for the tough sections, but finesse can get you through, too. Most use larger cap batteries or higher rated ones, like a 3s to get it to where they want, but 2S will do fine for most crawling.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know, thanks
Old 06-25-2011, 11:01 AM
integyjato3.3
My Feedback: (5)

I just got the max torque by exceed. it's an 1/8 scale. $159 shipped from nitrorcx.com  (found a coupon code online for free shipping) Then I added rear steering to it. See my other post in the crawler thread. Very happy so far. The thing will crawl right up the wall.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:01 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think about getting a crawler from time to time...someday maybe.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:41 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Mysterious

I always thought brushed was inferior to brushless....
Brushless is often faster, more powerful and more efficient than brushed counterpart. Brushed is not however "inferior". For crawling I find brushed motors better because under load they offer smoother power.

As far as crawlers go, the ax10 would be good choice. There are tons of places that stock replacement and upgrade parts for it.