Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Axial SCX 10

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:36 AM
17dean
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial SCX 10

Greetings , been into 1/10 Rc On Road sedan racing and drifting. just bought me a Axizl SCX 10 to appreciate rock climbing as well. Wanted to knowwhat kind of brushless engine I can get to enhance my speed as well as power too?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 PM
K_B

Default RE: Axial SCX 10

You can get the Goat 3S with the 18.5T crawler motor. It'll scoot on 3S lipo and still crawl well. Or save yourself a little dough and go with a Tekin FXR brushed ESC and a 35T brushed motor. Same (if not better) performance than the brushless system and a bit cheaper.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:36 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many guys here have these things?

I just picked up a Trail Honcho so far so good, it's the newer one with the 4 link rear.

I was looking at the spare parts bag, by the looks it's got all the parts to make the front 4 link. just needs 1long screw
But I'm worried that the servo will limit the flex anyway. Any one tried it?

Are the chassis mounted servo kits with panhard bars any good?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 1 SCX10 Cherokee.........
Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 AM
phmaximus

sweet post up some pics.

I got a 3 racing winch today... dammm its cool. ill get some pics soon with a little info on what I did to fit it to the stock trail honcho bumper...
I still need to Convert the 2ch switch on my Traxxas TQi controller from a on/on switch to a on/off/on switch to get it working from the remote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:35 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

most of the local guys run a traxxas waterproof VXL system on 2s lipo. Just gear the motor for the speed you want. Most of them swap out to 32 pitch spur and pinion gears.

Only downside of going the vxl route, is no drag brake.

You can gear up the stock motor for a few more MPH as well. I do this in the winter time when I crawl snow banks...as more wheel speed is needed for that. Then I gear back down for the summer when I crawl and rocks and need more torque.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:34 PM
zman5000

got one also looks realistic. got a traxxas brushless system and waterproof servo and it's chassis mounted with a drag link not a panhard rod.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24830.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1798726  
Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

most of the local guys run a traxxas waterproof VXL system on 2s lipo. Just gear the motor for the speed you want. Most of them swap out to 32 pitch spur and pinion gears.

Only downside of going the vxl route, is no drag brake.

You can gear up the stock motor for a few more MPH as well. I do this in the winter time when I crawl snow banks...as more wheel speed is needed for that. Then I gear back down for the summer when I crawl and rocks and need more torque.
Why would u use the expensive traxxas VXL combo where i could just run a cheap ezrun combo & they have drag brakes???? dont mean to offend but that sounds like a down grade.

and I cant stop thinking whats the point of swaping out the electronics for water proof stuff, then ditching the waterproof battery(nimh) to use a battery that does not like getting wet(lipo)???? I cant think why U would even need a lipo???

Im very happy with its speed it seems very scale to me, if anything it could be a little slower, might try a 55t motor.

Have u thought about running a 2 speed gearbox? I thought about it on mine, but it wont work with DIG, ive allready got the Axial Dig case, just need the gear set and servo... cant wait. it should be a true crawler with the winch and DIG
Old 09-05-2012, 04:49 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: zman5000

got one also looks realistic. got a traxxas brushless system and waterproof servo and it's chassis mounted with a drag link not a panhard rod.
looks good m8, hey whats the advantage of the chassis mounted servo?

hey what do u mean by "drag link not a panhard rod" im confused, the drag link connects the steering to the servo horn and a panhard rod stops side movement of a axle... Dont thonk it would work to well wiith out a drag link
Old 09-21-2012, 04:24 AM
nitro stan

no advantage to a cms. just looks more scale with out a servo on the axle. if anything it takes away from front flex a little. the panhard hits the front pumpkin before full flex. i built my cms out of stock parts and a scrap of metal i had. biggest reason for me was because i wanted to be able to go into deeper water crossings,there are no real strong waterproof servos out there. iv tried to WP my own servos before and one died in the water.had water in it when i opened it up

people like the vxl system because its waterproof. ezrun isn't. i dont like sensonless brushless in a scale/crawler. it cogs to bad at low speed for me. i like my losi msc12l esc's and 35t motors, the losi esc has a crawler mode,lipo cut off(2s) and is water resistant. i put mine in a radioshack project box just to make sure it stays dry
Old 09-21-2012, 07:34 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitro stan

no advantage to a cms. just looks more scale with out a servo on the axle. if anything it takes away from front flex a little. the panhard hits the front pumpkin before full flex. i built my cms out of stock parts and a scrap of metal i had. biggest reason for me was because i wanted to be able to go into deeper water crossings,there are no real strong waterproof servos out there. iv tried to WP my own servos before and one died in the water.had water in it when i opened it up

people like the vxl system because its waterproof. ezrun isn't. i dont like sensonless brushless in a scale/crawler. it cogs to bad at low speed for me. i like my losi msc12l esc's and 35t motors, the losi esc has a crawler mode,lipo cut off(2s) and is water resistant. i put mine in a radioshack project box just to make sure it stays dry
yeh, chassis mounted servos look cool. But they do suck...lol. In certain situations they push on the suspension and in others you get limited steering in one direction. It is more scale looking tho.

The vxl being waterproof is great. It is a shame it doesnt have drag brake. The ezrun's are the way to go if you dont even intend to run your truck in the wet. The vxl can also be geared so there is little cogging and still have a fairly quick top speed...you know, for the mud or snow
Old 10-01-2012, 04:27 PM
zman5000

i made my own chassis mounted servo mount, and the plate i made out of carbon fiber also mounts the battery. i have real good artictulation and no bump steer much to the chagrin of the "know it alls" and withthe vxl setup with the 2075 servo you don't haveto stop for anything creeks and rivers included. i now run this rig on the trails in parks around here with plenty of water and mud and hills and when i'm done i take it home and hose it off with a garden hose, can't be any easier.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM
nitro stan

"yeh, chassis mounted servos look cool. But they do suck...lol. In certain situations they push on the suspension and in others you get limited steering in one direction. It is more scale looking tho."

a pan hard keeps everything square, and steering is the same both ways depending on your epa settings
Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 PM
phmaximus

I allways thought the pan hard rod kicks the diff slightly to the right?
and when that happens it turns the steering slightly to the right too. and what it moves it what it loosesin steering in the other direction

I cant see any preformance gains from chassis mounted servo...
Old 10-11-2012, 04:06 PM
zman5000

it's a drag link from the servo to the wheels and no i don't have bump steer or axle movement. this thing is just fun.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:55 PM
nitro stan

a pan hard is a link the connects axle to chassis. most connect to the passenger side of the axle and to the drivers side of the frame. when set up wrong the axle will move to one side under compression. set it up right and nothing moves.

the axle wont move without one, but the chassis will move when the steering gets in a slight bind,instead of turning the wheels

heres my cms with panhard

heres my scx10

Old 10-13-2012, 07:11 AM
zman5000

i've found that with a proper 4 link i don't need the panhard rod. nice truck you got
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24304.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1810784  
Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 PM
nitro stan

i see said the blind man, i should have asked if it was 4 linked, mines 3 link,and will move all over the place without a panhard. i managed to get it set up right the first try, so i never built the links to 4 link the front.

thanks man
Old 10-15-2012, 02:41 PM
bronco25ton
My Feedback: (-2)

My "Y" link wore out quickly so I used the left over parts to convert the front to 4-link. Just had to come up with addidtional hardware to make the swap. It seems to work well.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 AM
phmaximus

Well here we go, finally got around to getting some new pics with the winch fitted.
I ordered the DIG case just need the gear set.... cant wait to get DIG cranking.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

How many guys here have these things?

I just picked up a Trail Honcho so far so good, it's the newer one with the 4 link rear.

I was looking at the spare parts bag, by the looks it's got all the parts to make the front 4 link. just needs 1long screw
But I'm worried that the servo will limit the flex anyway. Any one tried it?

Are the chassis mounted servo kits with panhard bars any good?
The included four link mounts work great. They don't hit the steering plate at all. You need a 1-1/4" long 3mm fastener to mount them and four (per axle) 3x10~12mm fasteners where they mount to the axle housing. I used them on this build for a customer and they work great. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=873593 I used 1/4" 6061 for the links and polished them.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:31 PM
phmaximus

Ah cool, how's the links in the spare bag were to long for the front and changed the diff angle [&o]
Old 10-27-2012, 09:14 PM
aknitroguy

Ah cool, how's the links in the spare bag were to long for the front and changed the diff angle [&o]
Yeah, you have to make your own links. The ones for the Dingo kit are 86mm. However the Honcho is a bit longer, so I'm not sure of the length. What I do is mount a link end to each mounting point and cut a piece of coat hanger wire to fit between them with the axle clocked to the desired angle, then get an exact measurment from that. I looked and axial don't seem to make them in the correct length. It seems funny that they would add the mounts and not make the right links to fit them. The spares you have would be quite a bit to long as the top links mount a bit forward of the lower link mount position. I tried that first and it puts the servo mount plate at about a 45 degree angle (as you have noted). The aluminum links for the wye (3 link) set up are way to short, I tried that also before concluding that I needed to make my own.
I could make a set for you, but I'm not sure it would be worth it after shipping charges. I have know idea what it would cost to ship a small package to you.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:57 PM
phmaximus

thanks for the offer m8, might take u up on that some time. Just a bit boke ATM, maby after xmas....
Its something i need to do the bush in the 3 link top arm has a fair bitof slop these days.

Hows my local track has a crawler track there, man these SCX10's kick ass. it was to easy.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 PM
aknitroguy

thanks for the offer m8, might take u up on that some time. Just a bit boke ATM, maby after xmas....
Its something i need to do the bush in the 3 link top arm has a fair bitof slop these days.

Hows my local track has a crawler track there, man these SCX10's kick ass. it was to easy.
Maybe put a aluminum ball in the three link, they fit a bit tighter and might take some slop out of it. That is the biggest problem with the three link set up, they get sloppy and everything wobbles around.
That is a very cool crawler track! I love the volcano back drop. I am fortunate to live a few blocks from the woods, there are dirt bike trails and crawling rocks close by. It would be sweet to have an indoor set up like that for winter. I am doing a full set of honcho links for a rc buddy and I will have the exact measurments for your upper links. I will pm them to you asap.
Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.