Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

2.4's and water?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2.4's and water?

anyone else have issues with their 2.4ghz radio when the crawler goes under water?

im not talking about a splash, i mean fully submersed.

my buddy had a wraith with stock 2.4, and i have had a crawler with a flysky 2.4.

both of our radios would lose signal as soon as the truck got fully under water.

pull the truck out and they work fine again. RX's are in waterproof boxes naturally.

this doesnt happen with my traxxas AM or the stock axial AM(or FM) radio. no loss of signal, truck just keeps on going.

2.4 is supposed to be better, but it seems like this is one limitation....the signal dont go threw water.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:31 PM
K_B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4's and water?

2.4Ghz frequency has a problem with penetrating water. If you check out Spektrum's website, the specifically state which radios/receivers are marine compatible. I think most of Spektrum's current stuff is marine compatible.

In a boat, I think the trick to it is that the receiver has two antennas so that no matter how it's situated in the water, one antenna is always above the water line.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK. i wondered if it was just that the flysky and axial 2.4's were really cheap or something.

i wouldnt think boats would have a problem, as they stay above the water.

our crawlers would work fine until they got more than 1/2 inch of water over the top of them.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agree with K_B
High frequency's do not penetrate water very well due to the radio waves not propagating as well in the water due the extra resistance, as they do in air. Its kinda like how you can move with less effort when walking on land then you can as you get deeper, and deeper into water
Under water RC's is one VERY good reason to keep AM radios handy
I've had my one RC Sub under 5 feet of water, and still had full control.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:36 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Futaba FASST works a lot better than spektrum when it comes to water. In RC boating people always use futaba. However, when underwater (as in the case of submarines) FM is the only reliable signal.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:53 AM
Mr Lee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

agree with K_B
High frequency's do not penetrate water very well due to the radio waves not propagating as well in the water due the extra resistance, as they do in air. Its kinda like how you can move with less effort when walking on land then you can as you get deeper, and deeper into water
Under water RC's is one VERY good reason to keep AM radios handy
I've had my one RC Sub under 5 feet of water, and still had full control.
Yip the lower the frequency the better the penetration....goes for land as well!

Same as cellular networks.....GSM900 penetrates better than GSM1800 which penetrates better than 3G which is also in the 2.4GHz band! I am mainly refering to building penetration but the same example could be applied for water........he he....anyone tried using their mobile under water