Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Toe inout settings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:27 PM
soutthpaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toe inout settings?

is there any preferred toe setting for rock crawlers and does it differ at all for 4WS? I notice my Rockslide arrived with a lot of positive toe on the rear axle, just wandering if i should straighten it
Old 10-12-2011, 02:34 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Toe inout settings?

when you have toe in, it should increase steering. this is cause as you turn, the outside tires will be turned more than the inside tires, and the weight should be more on that outside tires.

at least thats the way i see it.

i know if you have toe out it helps keep a car go in a straight line.

on a 4ws truck like the rockslide, toe setting is really a preference thing IMO. since you have 4ws, you dont need to TRY and increase the steering any. with a nomal front only steering truck, toe setting may help it steer better and thus be more drivable.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:21 PM
K_B

Toe settings are only useful in high speed applications. Toe-in helps the vehicle track straight, toe-out helps turn-in. On a rock crawler, all it does is effect your endpoint settings on the radio (if there is such a thing on the radio for the Rockslide). I would adjust it so each wheel has zero degrees of toe and leave it.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:02 PM
zman5000

toe out is better for a rockcrawler as it gives you better initial turn in, that's why all offroad and onroad 4wd's use that setting.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 AM
XtrmTJ
My Feedback: (6)

If I am getting this right, alittle toe out on the rear of a rock crawler is a "good" thing ?
Old 10-14-2011, 12:51 PM
K_B

At such slow speeds, toe-in/ out doesn't do a thing for a crawler. How sharp you can turn is ultimately limited by the steering range of the knuckles. Ackermann angle is probably more important than anything. For example, the Losi Comp Crawler runs a "zero ackermann" steering setup so that both tires turn the same amount through the entire range of steering motion. It also runs ZERO TOE ANGLE. If you run toe-out, the outside tire will fight the inside tire because it's not turning as sharp as the inside tire and that's what is called "ackermann angle".

4WD vehicles such as 1/8 buggies, 1/10 buggies, truggies and touring cars are completely different animals. That's where toe comes into play. Just because something is 4WD doesn't mean they're all set up the same. You run with all the diffs locked in an 1/8 buggy?
Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 PM
soutthpaw

My initial thinking was that it should be zero toe on both and looks like that is the way to go as Locked diffs negate the ackerman steering setup alltogether as whatever you do, one of the tires needs to slip anytime you make a turn with locked diffs.