Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

What to go with

Old 10-27-2011, 04:58 AM
Traxxas_Man_KY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to go with

If money wasn't a real issue.....what Crawler would you go with? I'm thinking I want a 1/8 scale....is that the best class? I have no clue....LOL
Old 10-27-2011, 05:03 AM
rckcrwlr

Default RE: What to go with

Your best bet would be to find out what is being run in your local area. There are really three classes currently being run in the crawling community:

1.9 comp (basically a Losi MRC)
2.2 Comp (Most popular)
Super Comp (These are the big guys, used to be called Unlimited but there are rules now)
Sportsman (this is the throwback class, great for entry level and up)

I am guessing that you will see 2.2 and 1.9 mostly in your area. Your reference to 1/8th scale would be more of the Super Class.

If you go to USRCCA.com , you can see the current rules governing the specs of each class.

Good Luck.

John
Old 10-27-2011, 04:50 PM
K_B

If you're not competing, I find the scale stuff (Axial SCX10) to be quite a bit of fun for backyard bashing. But in the end, you gotta get what appeals to you. If you like the 1/8 Super Class stuff, by all means go for it. I'm a little leary of the quality of bigger stuff out there. It seems most RTR 1/8 crawlers are made by Integy which has a dubious reputation in both quality and for getting replacement parts. The RedCat might be your best bet, but I'd be worried about finding parts for it too. Either way, be prepared to McGuyver together parts if it needs to be fixed down the road.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Jado 6
My Feedback: (1)

Well since dude said he had no clue, let me help to steer you in the right direction. No 8th class is not the best. 10th scale class is. By a landslide. That settled, you have the shaft driven rigs, & the moa's. Shaftys are more prevalent because alot of folks like the tranny/driveshaft bit. But, the main reason is they're cheaper. Alot cheaper. To build anyway. The losi comp rig is pretty comp specific- a badass rig to be sure. If you want to have fun & spend less-get the ax10. Not as capable stock, but i don't ever remember seeing a stock one anyway!lolol Next are the moa's. Bergs rule here. XR10 is in the rear view tho. Be prepared to drop a grand or 2 into one of these things. & if you love crawling & comps, worth evry penny! Hope that helped some.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 PM
soutthpaw

I got a Redcat Rockslide about a month ago and really like it. For the price its a good entry level machine and I wanted the bigger size... but don't plan on competing with it... 1/10 scale is the only way to go for comps. go crazy and get a RC4wd King Krawler if you want big... if you are not sure what you want get something cheap and try it for a while. then when u have a better idea you can sell it or better yet buy another machine.

That said, 1/8 can do things that 1/10 scale can only have wet dreams about and vice-versa. I did recently post up some simple mods and upgrades I have done so far over at rccrawler.com

Thinking about trying some different motors maybe RC4WD 80T instead of the stock 100T to get a bit more speed. not sure how it will affect the torque.
for comps you would do best building a kit from scratch. my next one prob, but need to decide on crawler or scale . probably start with Bully axles. I like the MOA axles as you don't need to mess with a DIG setup.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:38 PM
ReaperGN

I really like the Kyosho Rock force. About the only thing wrong with it, is its slow. Not just crawler slow either. Most crawlers will fly past it. But its the biggest 10th scale rig and stands alone with its long chassis and pan hard front suspension. Also it doesn't articulate as much as others but it remains super stable at crazy angles. Here is what kyosho has to say about it.

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...duct_id=104142
Old 10-30-2011, 05:40 AM
soutthpaw

would definitely get the optional DIG tranny for serious crawling.

ORIGINAL: ReaperGN

I really like the Kyosho Rock force. About the only thing wrong with it, is its slow. Not just crawler slow either. Most crawlers will fly past it. But its the biggest 10th scale rig and stands alone with its long chassis and pan hard front suspension. Also it doesn't articulate as much as others but it remains super stable at crazy angles. Here is what kyosho has to say about it.

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...duct_id=104142
Old 10-30-2011, 12:25 PM
ReaperGN

Either the dig or 4 wheel steering. 10th scale comps have a thing against 4 wheel steer so in that case you need a dig. If you don't plan on competing then 4 wheel steer and a dual stick controller are the way to go.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Jado 6
My Feedback: (1)

Or, you could compete in sprtsman & forget about dig & 4ws. 4ws is for pansies anyway.hahaha Dig is a blast tho. You'll end up spending waaay to much time spinning around in place, just cause you can.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 PM
ReaperGN

ORIGINAL: Jado 6

Or, you could compete in sprtsman & forget about dig & 4ws. 4ws is for pansies anyway.hahaha Dig is a blast tho. You'll end up spending waaay to much time spinning around in place, just cause you can.

HA!

A dig setup can be fun but a 4ws setup can be more useful if its independent. Using 4ws on a pistol grip is a pain and pointless.