Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

cc-01 for my step son???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:52 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default cc-01 for my step son???

Ok, so here is the situation. My step son wants an rc truck, I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money because my wife and I are actually split up.. (big long story...blah blah blah) I don't see the boy all that often but I am still a "good guy" so I thought the cc-01 bronco would be good for him. In stock form it'll do what he'll need or I can put a faster motor in later or even a slower motor for some trail riding. My thoughts are that the truck can be changed as he "grows out of it" then instead of needing a whole differant truck he can also still have this one for a differant purpose.

other trucks I have thought about are:

Hpi recon, hpi trophy truck, and traxxas 2wd stampede. Although the recon I don't really know how much i'm into that one.... (380 motor) Easier and cheaper to use a 540 size and drop in an old motor from my parts drawer

Any thoughts???

KID EVIL!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:57 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cc-01 for my step son???

Depends on the size and terrain of the areas he'd be driving in.

Personally, I'd rule out the recon because minis are rather limited in where you can drive them. They don't really work well in grass because of their low ground clearance.

The HPI mini trophy truck is a good, durable choice although I've heard that the roll cage makes it kind of a pain to work on.

I have driven the cc01 a few times(my friend owns one) and really like it. I think it would be a good general purpose vehicle, because of it's potential to be modified. It comes with a removable rear diff locker, which really helps in low traction conditions(snow, mud, etc). If you assemble it, run a bead of grease around the lip the the rear axle to help dirt out.

The stampede would also be an ok choice. I had one once, but sold it because it wasn't really that fun to drive. Also the titan motor is infamous for burning out.

One other option would be a HPI wheely king. I bought one to replace my stampede and what a difference[X(]. It's 4wd unlike the regular stampede and will go many more places the pede simply won't go.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:51 AM
KID_EVIL!

See that's what I'm saying. Most of his driving would be in the street or drive way kinda of. But he could also come out crawling with me sometime and be set. At the same time I could bring it to life a bit with a little more speed, or when speed is more of an option then a 2nd truck. But yeah, a nice general truck with options either way.

One other thing about the cc01, how does the pinion mesh the the spur? I have the TT-01 and I don't really like that setup a whole lot. Is it the same as the tt-01 or is it a "normal" setup?

Kid Evil!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:07 PM
The Mad Modder

That's one of the problems with the cc01, it has a similar style mount to the tt01, but it only has holes to use 16t or 20t pinions.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:16 AM
KID_EVIL!

.........hhhmmmmmmm........

Do you think a programable speed control would help me bypass that flaw I'm just thinking, my sidewinder has max speed settings right!? Say use the 16t on a 60% for starters then go up when needed. Kinda of use the speedo for adjusting rather than pinions... I dunno....... Of course this is all future planning, in stock form it'll be fine. Tamiya should come up with a better way!

Thanks for the replies by the way, Mad Modder.

That trophy truck is still a close second though. I'm not to sure what i'll do yet. I don't like the motor mounting situation/pinion options.

KID EVIL!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would say go for an axail scx10.

its very easy to change the speed of the truck, just by chaning the pinion gear. with the stock motor you can get it to do anywhere from a couple MPH for serious crawling, or 15mph.

you can also change out the electronic speed control and servo for ones that are waterpoof, or even waterproof the stock ones(vids on utube show how)

you can put a wide range of bodies on the truck, and same with tires....many choices. scaler tires, oversized tires, paddle tires ect.

its a pretty versitile truck, which is what it sounds like you want.

im pretty sure they go for about $240 new RTR. there is the honcho and jeep versions.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 PM
KID_EVIL!

To be honest and not rude. I'm really only looking for something at a good price that will give him something to run. I'm not sure the cc-01 is what I want.. The gearing situation to me is a deal buster. If it wasn't so limited on pinions and you could adjust the mesh I might jump on the cc-01. Even the tt-01 is kinda gay. I'd rather trust my own setting than only be able to put it where they say to put it. That's just me though. I race a slash 4x4 so that's why I thought of the trophy truck, Mainly something that I don't have to spend a ton on, because I will have to get a charger and spare batteries for him too. $300 and under total is what I'm going for.

The 2wd stampede and the trophy truck are about the same price (-$200) same as the cc-01. I'd like a 4x4 for him but in the end doesn't really have to be. The stampede will make it through grass better with the extra ground clearance. Yet if ever he was out at the track with me he could run the stampede or the trophy truck. ( I race at two tracks, one organized and one more bring what ya got and have fun). In the end he will be running it more with his mother than with me around... Like I said I'm his ex-stepdad kinda thing. I'm just being a decent Ahole.

KID EVIL!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:20 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

the wheel king is another option to look at.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:16 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

yup
like my Wheely king way more than I liked my pede
and the wheely king is around $215 or so
drove mine mostly in snow doing jumps off 2 foot high snow ramps landing on concrete with no damage
Old 11-28-2011, 05:31 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

yup
like my Wheely king way more than I liked my pede
and the wheely king is around $215 or so
drove mine mostly in snow doing jumps off 2 foot high snow ramps landing on concrete with no damage
+1 It's not much more than a pede either. You can get one for $200 shipped on ebay.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

and like an axial, its easy to change the speed of the truck with the pinion gear, or a different motor.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 AM
KID_EVIL!

Yeah, the wheely king seems to have what I am looking for, for him. 4x4, ground clearence for all around running, motor mounting = more pinion options. waterproof as well. A little more $$ but that could probably be overlooked because of it's options..... So far I'm looking at about $300 total and that's not to bad. Tower won't have then until end of Dec though......
Old 11-29-2011, 06:25 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: KID_EVIL!

Yeah, the wheely king seems to have what I am looking for, for him. 4x4, ground clearence for all around running, motor mounting = more pinion options. waterproof as well. A little more $$ but that could probably be overlooked because of it's options..... So far I'm looking at about $300 total and that's not to bad. Tower won't have then until end of Dec though......
Does it have to be the waterproof version? If you're able to buy on ebay, the original version with the bounty hunter body is available for $200 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-RACING-H...item3a6ab0593f
Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 AM
KID_EVIL!

No it doesn't have to be... that was just a bonus that I noticed.. Your link doesn't ship to Canada ha ha ha.. Thanks though.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:54 AM
KID_EVIL!

Just ordered the Wheely king. 3 batteries and a charger. He should be happy with that.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:47 PM
RC youngin

where did you find a scx10 for $240???
was it the dingo?

Old 12-18-2011, 05:08 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: RC youngin

where did you find a scx10 for $240???
was it the dingo?

my bad, the ax10 is about that much RTR.
the scx 10 is around that for the kit version. the RTR version is much more.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:04 AM
KID_EVIL!

I just wanted to come in and show a couple pictures of my sons Wheely King. I extended the wheel base 2 inches and added some custom skid plates and a front bumper. I'm still working on a rear bumper/wheely bar. I'm really quite glad I went with this truck. I was "testing" the truck over a small jump and was putting it about 30 inches in the air without any problems. With all the new linkage this truck is a whole new truck. It's solid!

Oh another thing I did as well was lower the truck about 3/4 inches. I just wanted to get the truck to a point where it wasn't gonna wheely like crazy and/or be tippy.

I think when the time comes, I doubt it'll put a faster motor in....... Maybe a 15 or 20t but nothing crazy. This truck will probably become a crawler. For an eight year old, I think this is a great little basher now.

Thanks guys for pointing me to it.

KID EVIL!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21181.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1708461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23538.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1708462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10743.jpg