Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

RedCat Sumo for a 6yr old?

Old 01-03-2012, 09:00 AM
gprdpr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RedCat Sumo for a 6yr old?

Hi all. I'm new to the RC world.

My son is 6yrs old and is fascinated by rock crawlers. I'd like to get him one to play around with indoors throughout the winter.

What type of skill set does the 1:24 RedCat Sumo require? Is it a vehicle that would work well for my 6yr old? I will say that he has a good attention span, is a pretty quick learner,and handles his Stampede and other RC's easily. (I understand that the crawler is a completely different animal)

So, I wonder, would the Sumo crawler be over his head?

As always, thanks in advance for the help/expertise!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:22 AM
rc2008
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: RedCat Sumo for a 6yr old?

i think the sumo would be a good crawler for him. there isnt much skill needed to crawl unless you run competitions some of the courses are challenging for both the truck and driver. the biggest thing is to make sure you dont get a wheel stuck between to objects as this will cause binding and if you mash the throttle stuff can break  for example....(wheel hex can strip, driveshaft can twist, diff gears can break, ect....) i know because i found out the hard way [:'(].     on the sumo that should be as big of a problem.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM
K_B

You might want to consider a Losi micro crawler (I personally like the Trekker) just for parts support unless the local shop carries a decent amount of RedCat parts.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:12 PM
gprdpr

I would certainly consider the Losi, but the price difference is pretty substantial. If nothing else, the RedCat parts could be ordered online...couldn't they?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: gprdpr

I would certainly consider the Losi, but the price difference is pretty substantial. If nothing else, the RedCat parts could be ordered online...couldn't they?
Yes, there are many ebay dealer(myself included) and e-stores that carry redcat parts.

the sumo uses "AAA" batts to run, which are a bit more kid friendly than a rechargable nimh pack.

And, while both the losi and sumo are listed as 1/24 scale...the sumo is a bit bigger. the losi is 5.8 inches long and the sumo is 6.7 inches long.

While the losi is a better truck, in that it can be hopped up to be a really amazing crawler, i dont see the point in an expensive indoor crawler. Crawling is way more fun outdoors. So if i were going to get a crawler for inside the house, I wouldnt spend a ton of cash on one.

Oh, and the losi doesnt have 4 wheel steering...and that does add more fun to the driving. It add another aspect to how you drive it. Knowing when to use the differnt 4ws modes ect. I have owned the RS10 from redcat...which uses the same 4ws setup and i can tell you it adds alot of capablity to a truck to have 4ws.
In most 1/10 rock crawling comps, 4ws is not allowed except in special classes...cause of how much it adds to the truck's ability.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 PM
gprdpr

Thats great info. Thanks!

While the Sumo seems to be great indoors, it'll function well outside too...right?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Thats great info. Thanks!

While the Sumo seems to be great indoors, it'll function well outside too...right?
yes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUluv0bG7ww[/youtube]
Old 01-03-2012, 05:31 PM
gprdpr

So how does the Sumo stack up against the Losi Micro overall? Seems to me...the Sumo, beingmuch more affordable...is the way to go?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:33 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

So how does the Sumo stack up against the Losi Micro overall? Seems to me...the Sumo, being much cheaper...is the way to go?
well, the losi micro has alot more upgrade options.....but the sumo has the 4ws.
the sumo is a tad more top-heavy(AAA batts) but the losi micro is almost an inch shorter, and longer wheel base will help climbing.
Honestly i would say that either makes a good indoor crawler. I cant say which will out-perform the other, cause id bet that some situations the sumo would climb where the micro wouldnt and vise versa.
Its like comparing the axial ax10 to the venom creeper. both are the same idea, TVP chassis with long shocks and solid axles. venom is much cheaper, but that doesnt mean the axial can crawl any better.
Ill i can say for certain is that the sumo's are selling pretty good. and i'm amazed redcat managed the price they did with a 2.4ghz radio.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 PM
gprdpr

Thanks for all of the help. The new Sumo is due to be shipped on monday!