Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

trail truck/crawler

Old 08-12-2012, 05:29 PM
gagallagher04401
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trail truck/crawler

I have just about every type of RC out there. I have not had a trail/crawler type truck.

I am looking to get two or three of the same truck, with different bodies, for my self, father, and nephew. I want them to be the same for parts, batteries, etc.. I want durable, and reliable. Nothing fast, used for finding our way through the woods, trails, creeks etc... (water proof would be ideal)

Obviously where I am looking at getting at least two, price matters.

Thanks everyone.

George
Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: trail truck/crawler

The Venom Safari Creeper seems to be the closest to your requirements. $200, RTR, waterproof, scale, with different colors availiable.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:25 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Id have to second the venom creeper. Its closer to $250 RTR tho. At least on ebay.

Unlike other "scale" looking trucks it has a full crawler type suspension and 2.2 tires. If you lock the diffs out of the box (switch on the axle) it will out-do many scalers.

The truck is really larger than most scalers as well. thats why it looks right even with the 2.2 tires.

I had one and liked it. I broke a few "C" hubs, and the CVD driveshafts became an issue (only after a full winter of driving in snow, slush and water) but over all it held up very well.

And since the chassis is basically the same as the creeper, there are tons of upgrades.

There is the tamiya CC-01. They come as kits, so battery servo and radio are still needed. These are MUCH more scale, and far more limited in ability.

The axial scx10 is the best mesh of scale looks and crawling ability. but they are over $300 new...and often go for $250 or more used.

I can understand wanting 2 of the same truck. Then you can see who sets up their truck the best....tire choice, suspension settings ect.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 PM
snipermaster
My Feedback: (19)

i have an tamiya cc-01 and there great for what i put it threw. its scale looks is awsome. im working on putting on an new bright body onto mine at the moment.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: snipermaster

i have an tamiya cc-01 and there great for what i put it threw. its scale looks is awsome. im working on putting on an new bright body onto mine at the moment.
the OP did say he wanted a waterproof truck.
The cc-01 can be good in this regard, as the chassis' wheel wells will keep most of the spray out. this would not be the case with a scx/venom.
Youd just have to make a box for the reciever and use a traxxas xl-5 esc.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:27 AM
ReaperGN

If you want a proper scale truck that can work everywhere then you might like the High Lift series from Tamiya. It is more expensive and its crawling ability is no where near that of the 4 linked rigs out of the box. But due to the design its much easier to run standard electronics in wet conditions and with a few mods there are very few places a 4 linked scaler can go that it cant. What it lacks in crawling ability it makes up with speed, power, and appearance. It does require at least a 4 channel dual stick radio to work properly. But other than the occasional pinion gear in the axles there are very few parts that break. In 2.5+ years of hard running the only things I have broken are the mirrors and a few axle pinions.

Here is a picture of mine. I went for the old skool monster truck look.