Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Back yard crawler courses

Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back yard crawler courses

I'm interested in seeing what you guys have come up with around your home. Around here in Southern Ontario there isn't much for "natural" hills and rocks around. I decided to start building my own course in my yard. I don't have any pics yet, because I only have the camera built into my laptop. I'd like to get some pics though.......

My course has 9 numbered gates along with the start and finish as well as a bonus gate. It measures about 12 feet x 15 feet right now. I built some towers out of plywood and used some left over deck stain (grey) to make them look a little nicer. Also we built a couple "rope" bridges and a "covered" bridge. Over time I hunted down rocks, pavers and some concrete slabs. I had some good sized tree branches, about 10" to 12" wide and maybe 4 foot long. Also I built a teeder todder :S that you go up and over tipping it down as you reach past center.

I like the track so far, but it is something that will never be finished...... I'd like to add to it more and more as I come up with new Ideas. Right now, some turns are a bit tight. 15x20 would probably be a good finished size.... But some more rock hunting will be needed. Load up my buckets again and go for a drive....

KID EVIL!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 PM
The Real Dogman

Default RE: Back yard crawler courses

KID,

Most guys with back yard crawler courses just make a big pile of rocks with a lot of elevation transitions, v cracks ect. that way they can setup gates anywhere and have a neverending choices of courses.

However if you are looking more for a scale trail type of course then your imagination is the only limit, and I would suggest you  could "model" it after and area that you know of or have pictures of.

There are no rules to how you set up your back yard courses, just what you can imagine. In fact I have known a few guys who go all out and build scale buildings, bridges road signs. There is a local guy here that is attempting to model an offroad park that is in our home state.

here a few pics for ya

DNR office from that OR Park

Bathroom Break!! LOL this one is the coolest to me

Hope this little bit helps. There are more if you are interested
Old 07-06-2013, 03:39 AM
KID_EVIL!

Default RE: Back yard crawler courses

Hey,

Although the buildings look cool, I'm more interested in the obsticles. I think for myself I want to space out some of the sections on my own course and maybe add in a section of trail between. Right now it's find of like pile to pile.
I was watching top truck challenge on speed last night and liked the idea of a canyon section. I won't be doing any mud or water sections at all.

This one place I go locally in the spring when the weeds start to grow, the truck look good cutting through and around the weeds (1/10 trees) With that said I would probably like to pick up some plants to put in, in the future.

BTW any pics are welcome. I've watched many many videos on youtube And like I said, crawling on speed channel.

I'd like to get a few guys together around here and hold some weekend comps now and then...... I have a nice course started, but some fine tuning would be nice.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:58 PM
ax10crawler

hey guys new to this forum but not to crawler.. or tracks. so i thought i would share this for starters. the video is kinda terrible i had about ten cups of coffee and talked really fast and repeated myself ..alot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds8L4FsYClg
Old 09-29-2013, 08:31 AM
KID_EVIL!

So far, this is the best I can do for my course. My brother has a camera though. So I will work on some pics and maybe a short video of a once threw.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0007.jpg
Views:	8545
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1925862  
Old 11-10-2013, 07:09 PM
eindecker 3

I have 4 acres of land. I need to get busy and get my course started!!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 12:32 PM
KID_EVIL!

I haven't been around in a long time... Computer has been down. I finally got everything fixed up, and alot has changed. I have some videos as well but they are not uploaded at all.

Name:	crawler track 006.jpg
Views:	5074
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	2144540   Click image for larger version

Name:	crawler track 010.jpg
Views:	5215
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	2144541   Click image for larger version

Name:	crawler track 008.jpg
Views:	18269
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	2144542  
Old 01-31-2016, 01:05 PM
Mike Flea

This is cool, looks like a lot of fun for a small area!
Old 01-31-2016, 05:08 PM
SD1

That is really great! Nice work.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:28 AM
KID_EVIL!

thanks guys. I've added a little bit each spring for the last few years. I collected a lot of rocks from work here and there. My boss built a new house a couple years ago and I was working there for about a year... Yeah it's a big house. But he had loads and loads of dirt brought in, and I would go out and pick rocks out of the piles and bring them home in buckets. So yeah, because I am a carpenter I am able to find the odd rock here and there. It's funny because now I'm looking for rocks that have a nice shape to them so I can bring it home.

Heres a couple more pics

Kid Evil!

Name:	crawler track 009.jpg
Views:	5724
Size:	481.8 KB
ID:	2147014   Click image for larger version

Name:	crawler track 010.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	2147015   Click image for larger version

Name:	crawler track 011.jpg
Views:	5562
Size:	505.1 KB
ID:	2147016   Click image for larger version

Name:	crawler track 004.jpg
Views:	4613
Size:	465.4 KB
ID:	2147017   Click image for larger version

Name:	crawler track 005.jpg
Views:	11198
Size:	494.6 KB
ID:	2147018  

Last edited by KID_EVIL!; 02-13-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:07 AM
RustedRC

Your course looks great. nice thing about rocks and dirt is you can move it when ever you feel like it.
Is that a venom creeper with a j concepts body?
Old 02-13-2016, 01:24 PM
KID_EVIL!

Thanks rustedrc. No it's an AX10 scorpion kit. But yes a jconcepts body. Yeah it's pretty easy to redesign sections, Just load up the wheel barrel and some buckets with similar sized rocks then if I want a certain size there they are. It's a blast. I have another Idea for another section but I don't know if I have enough spare rocks yeah. Also I want to change the one bridge a bit. I need to raise it because my Bronco doesn't fit under with the new light bar on top.

KMA Krawler Village check out a video

KID EVIL!

Last edited by KID_EVIL!; 02-13-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:43 PM
RustedRC

I was hoping it was a creeper. cool body none the less.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:42 AM
KID_EVIL!

Gate crasher is the body.. but I'm pretty sure they don't make it anymore.. they make a bigger one that fits the stampede but not my crawler. I wish there were more smaller sized bodies out there. Some of the 1/16 revo bodies are about the same size though. They all seem to discontinue bodies right after I but them.

KID EVIL!
Old 02-14-2016, 09:47 AM
Mike Flea

Check out the Exciter body, #10223, or the Honcho body, #10250, from Parma. That's a nice course, I watched the video, I've been working on a similar course in my backyard. I have a friend that's a landscaper, so he brings me his debris from other jobs. Cheap for me, I don't have to pay for rock, cheap for him, he doesn't have to pay to take it to the dump.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:18 AM
KID_EVIL!

Thanks mike. My videos are a bit crappy, they are all on board. It's hard to see the course. For me it's alright because I recognize the sections as I watch, but yeah. I have a go pro on it's way though, could get some mixed footage. I also want to go out to this spot I know of around my place and take some vids.. It's an old robin hood flour plant, but out back it's become a spot for the city to dump rock and fill. It's a huge open space for any rc.