Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Best crawler for the money?

Old 01-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Whitecobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best crawler for the money?

I've been into RC's for about 10 years, so not a newbie! Now I want to get into crawling. I've been looking at the Redcat 1/8 Rockslide Super Crawler for around 250$. I want to stay in the 1/8 scale due to larger size. What do you guys recommend, staying in that price range? Modding & upgrading is not a issue, just want something with a good base to build up from. Anything I should stay away from? I really want a Traxxas Summit, but a little out of my price range for now!
Old 01-03-2015, 11:46 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summit isn't a crawler

and for that price range, and scale requirement all you will see is redcats, and exceeds

Pretty sure http://www.nitrorcx.com/03c09-madtorque-green.html is the same thing as the redcat one as redcats stuff is made by HSP like Exceeds is.
Redcat just has a slightly better warranty
Exceed also has http://www.nitrorcx.com/03c20-madtor...d-rtr-24g.html and they made an 8 wheel drive version recently http://www.nitrorcx.com/03c25-mt-8x8-black-rtr-24g.html
Old 01-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Whitecobra

That 6x6 looks awesome! But they are not setup for 4 wheel steering out-the-box like the Redcat is. Thanks for your reply, but still favoring the Redcat at this point.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:16 PM
krokodyl

I'd go withe the maxstone 8. I have the maxstone 10, only three things broke in almost 2 years and 2 of them where my fault. the connect box wore out (maxstone 8 doesn't have one) the body it fell of the top of a large slide and the steering hub it fell of the slide and hit a metal pole.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Whitecobra

Originally Posted by krokodyl View Post
I'd go withe the maxstone 8. I have the maxstone 10, only three things broke in almost 2 years and 2 of them where my fault. the connect box wore out (maxstone 8 doesn't have one) the body it fell of the top of a large slide and the steering hub it fell of the slide and hit a metal pole.
That also looks good, but not 4 wheel steer out-of-box and would need extra parts and still only have 1 style of steering. The Redcat has 4 types of steering & is 4 wheel steering out-of-box. I pulled the trigger on the Redcat Rockslide Super Crawler about a hour ago. It'll be here by Monday next week.

Thanks everybody for pointing out the other crawlers I had not even considered. But for out-of-box readiness, I think the Redcat wins!

Last edited by Whitecobra; 01-03-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:38 PM
nitro stan

spend the money on something solid. a scx10 dingo kit is under 250.or a rtr for about 100 more.its not as big,but its much better all around
Old 01-03-2015, 09:35 PM
Whitecobra

Originally Posted by nitro stan View Post
spend the money on something solid. a scx10 dingo kit is under 250.or a rtr for about 100 more.its not as big,but its much better all around
I wanted to stay in the 1/8 scale. After watching a few videos of the Dingo, yea its built like a crawler but doesn't have the articulation that's really needed! After seeing it in action, I didn't even want to find out if is capable of 4 wheel steering.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:24 PM
zackS30

The rs10 is very capable too. U need to move the links and shocks around so u can lower the ride height and get better articulation from it.
The super crawler is rather large I would think it would hang up on larger rocks bcuz of the longer wheel base.
In my experience the rs10 tires are rather hard and they aren't sticky they don't stick to well. I had the foams cut up and with 2oz of weight in each wheel and they still slipped.
What kind of terrain are u crawling on? Do u have a picture?
Old 01-04-2015, 03:25 PM
zackS30

The rs10 is very capable too. U need to move the links and shocks around so u can lower the ride height and get better articulation from it.
The super crawler is rather large I would think it would hang up on larger rocks bcuz of the longer wheel base.
In my experience the rs10 tires are rather hard and they aren't sticky they don't stick to well. I had the foams cut up and with 2oz of weight in each wheel and they still slipped.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Whitecobra

Originally Posted by zackS30 View Post
I don't have a particular place picked out yet, but I have a week to pick a good place to put it to the test. There is a state park close by that has about a 3000 mountain with walking trails everywhere. If you step off the trail, there are rocks everywhere. There is 1 spot that's 400-500ft straight up at about 45-50 degrees. That's where I want to go once I get use to it.

I thought about getting hung-up in the middle more with the 1/8 size compared to the 1/10. But I like the larger size. Like you said, " move the links and shocks around so u can lower the ride height", but if needed I'll raise it. I plan on weighting the front rims with some 1/8" lead sheets I have.

Last edited by Whitecobra; 01-04-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:36 PM
zackS30

Sounds good. I need to find a new spot for my exo and wraith.
If I drive for about 30mins I can get to a couple mountains.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:40 PM
zackS30

Sounds good. I need to find a new spot for my exo and wraith.
If I drive for about 30mins I can get to a couple mountains.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Whitecobra

How's this for the best crawler for the money http://youtu.be/U_GAjGMwlE8 ?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:27 PM
tvjv2009

Everything that dude has is insane.. I've been to some of those events that bunch goes to.. all of them are a little off... in a good way..