Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

vaterra ascender opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 AM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vaterra ascender opinions

I was looking at the ascender and wanted to know if any of you guys have one or just an opinion about it?
i know there isn't a lot of after market stuff yet and read that a lot of guys break the axle gears but i think there is some hardened parts out there.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Mike Flea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Ascender, I don't have one but looking at the pics from Vaterra, I see it as a very versatile scaler. I especially like that the frame can be adjusted for various lengths and wheelbases, and that it comes with some items that if you bought a Honcho, would be an extra, like the front panhard. If you go to Horizon Hobbies website they show a lot of available parts. Several friends of mine that own Honchos are happy with their Ascenders as well. However, I do wish it would have come with leaf springs, especially with a Blazer
Old 02-22-2015, 04:29 PM
RustedRC

I'm thinking about picking one up. i like the power wagon and the recon jeep but they are still a sxc10 and i have a honcho already so.
i like the look of the blazer. needs some bigger tires imo but looks to be a capable truck.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:32 AM
TheBennyB

Could just buy the blazer body and mount it on your SCX10. Go back and forth between it and the Honcho body.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:05 PM
RustedRC

Don't want one because the body. good idea thought. want another truck and something different than the one i have now.
i kinda want to find a 78 ford pick up body for it.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:03 PM
RustedRC

So the ascender showed up today and i had to try it. first impression is that well it's cool. climbs great. has a nice stance so on side hill it does good. a little slow IMO. but some of the regular upgrades like motor, tires and a metal drive shaft will bring this truck to life.
first upgrade was a lipo. got a short pack cause big ones don't fit. because iv'e read a lot about the axle gears and cvd breaking the next upgrade will be the stronger ones.
i'll post a few pic's soon.

Last edited by RustedRC; 03-10-2015 at 11:31 AM. Reason: cause i can
Old 03-10-2015, 11:43 AM
RustedRC

just some crappy phone pic's.

it came with a 14t pinion but i changed it to a 20t and got some more speed out of it.
i agree with a lot of people on the body. it is a bit big but being scale it should look like that. still looking for a 78 ford body for it.
right out the box i noticed the axle slop. no more or less than my honcho but needs some help. hoping the new ones are a better mesh fit.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:14 AM
wrecker344

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Komodo I'm getting sure seems to be a good choice??