Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Can a 1/24 Temper Crawler handle 7.4 Lipo batteries?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Can a 1/24 Temper Crawler handle 7.4 Lipo batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 05:58 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Can a 1/24 Temper Crawler handle 7.4 Lipo batteries?

Hi guys, that's the question. I'm brand new to crawlers but I've been an RC Tanker for the last three years. I recently bought a Losi 1/24 on ebay, used, and it came with both the original 4.8 nimh from Losi and the 7.4 Lipos the seller had it running on. Then I bought a brand new Temper 1/24 crawler and it came with a 4.8 nimh so I started wondering if the Temper electronics can handle 7.4 like the Losi appears to.

To be honest, I'm not even using them as crawlers, I plan to take them apart and use the Losi to RC a German Kubelwagen and the Temper to make a U.S. Scout Car. That's the main reason I hope the temper can handle 7.4, it's way too slow for a scout car on 4.8 volts.

So has anyone actually done this before? Run a 1/24 Temper Crawler on a 7.4 volt lipo battery? Without blowing anything up?
Old 03-23-2016, 03:29 AM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked on the web site for the spec's but didn't find anything useful. i know that the losi can but not sure if the temper can. i would think so just as long as you keep the Mah on the battery low like 250 but your going to have to keep an eye on the battery because ESC's that use NiMh only usually don't have a LVC (LOW VOLTAGE CUTOFF) so you will need to get one.
amianshobbies has the one used for the losi. http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...sb9635/p183535 because i haven't found the spec's on the ESC for the Temper yet i have to say do this upgrade with caution. i'm not 100% sure the ESC can handle it.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:23 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Hi Guys. I dug around a little more here on this forum and found a post from a guy that said he used a 2S in his Temper so I gave it a try and it works fine. It's a little faster, but it's also got a higher minimum speed. I think for my purposes I'll be better off with a Losi 1/18.

Thanks a lot for the help, guys. Drop by the RC Tank page sometime and check us out. Tanks crawl over stuff pretty good.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:29 AM
RustedRC

Glad it worked out for you. if you do use the temper don't forget to pick up a LVC.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:27 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Crius
Hi Guys. I dug around a little more here on this forum and found a post from a guy that said he used a 2S in his Temper so I gave it a try and it works fine. It's a little faster, but it's also got a higher minimum speed. I think for my purposes I'll be better off with a Losi 1/18.

Thanks a lot for the help, guys. Drop by the RC Tank page sometime and check us out. Tanks crawl over stuff pretty good.
Gary, I'm on here as well. Let me know if you need any help or questions. Your headed in the right direction with the 1/18 for conversion.
I've seen a couple 1/18 losi buggies converted into various vehicles. You may want to look at the losi dimensions and then look at other
mfg's for a cheaper base vehicle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECX-1-18-Roo...UAAOSwLnlWnYhM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18-4WD-2-4...MAAOxywh1TE0gv

Last edited by TheBennyB; 03-25-2016 at 07:46 AM.