Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Airport Tug - Rock Crawler Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Airport Tug - Rock Crawler Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 07:11 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Airport Tug - Rock Crawler Conversion

Hello, I converted a Vaterra Slickrock Rock Crawler into an Airport Tug. However, I need more horsepower (torque) for it to pull 30 - 40 pound model airplanes over pavement or short cut grass. "HELP" Chic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1130.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	4.23 MB
ID:	2177894  
Old 08-22-2016, 11:46 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe look into some reduction units either in the drive train or a gearhead motor. You may want to get some more weight on the tug as well. One easy way to add weight would be to fill the tires with bb's. I use a tamiya king hauler with stock motor and the 4:1 drivetrain reduction and can haul my 40lb excavator on a 3 axle trailer no prob in all 3 gears even off road.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Add-On-Speed...QAAOSwARZXo9TU

https://www.servocity.com/10-rpm-gear-motor

Last edited by TheBennyB; 08-22-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 PM
redtail

TheBennyB - Many thanks for your response. Will begin doing research into your assessment. Chic
Old 08-22-2016, 01:16 PM
RustedRC

That looks awesome. i could see that pulling a big plane down the tarmac.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:59 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by redtail
TheBennyB - Many thanks for your response. Will begin doing research into your assessment. Chic
No problem. Another quick and cheap mod would be a motor swap depending on what your running now? If you have the usual 27 turn motor you could jump up to a 55 turn motor for cheap. Not a bad place to start. Here's a very cheap 55 turn motor from rc4wd.com

http://store.rc4wd.com/540-Crawler-B...55T_p_823.html
Old 09-08-2016, 04:39 PM
redtail

Hello Hubby (my Chic),

I want you and your fellow modelers to know just how proud I am of you and ALL of your accomplishments....having retired from the military after 24 years, to getting a law degree, and then teaching for 20 years before retiring again last year. After your severe hand injury last year doing what you love (flying airplanes), and having gone through two hand surgeries and months of therapy, you did not give up. You began to build again even though you have been slow to getting back into the air. When you constructed this beautiful Airport Tug (Hank's Air Service), I knew those hands were ready for building again. It also made be so proud of your building skills when the hobby store owner saw that tug, liked it and purchased it from you! That proves to me how great your building skills are. The airplanes you are now building are just as great to me! I am so appreciative of your friends who gave you the opportunity to fly their planes last week at PGRC!!!! You are a great guy and you are all mine.... I don't share remember (smile)..... Thanks guys for being my Chic White's friend! God Bless You....Shirley