Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Redcat Everest 10

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:03 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Redcat Everest 10

Have one coming, anyone running one? Looks like the best bang for the buck machine for a noob.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:38 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't own one but have heard redcat servo's tend to fry pretty easily. Just a heads up. There is a Redcat racing support forum on here as well.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redc...g-support-427/
Old 12-13-2016, 02:56 PM
JohnVH

Thanks! Time will tell.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:09 PM
RustedRC

Hi John VH. yep the servo will need replaced as soon as you get it.
Some aftermarket parts from some other brands will fit when you start upgrading. redcat is a great way to step into the hobby rc world. i started with the redcat rockslide and that lead to a few more rc's in my collection. if you run into any problems just ask someone here will be glad to help if they can. have a great time with it and when it breaks fix it because that's half the fun. ooh and post a pic or two and share the adventure.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:53 PM
JohnVH

Thanks. I see a lot of vids running the stock servo, so hopefully mine lasts too. How many oz servo do they use?
Old 12-14-2016, 02:21 AM
RustedRC

You can get a SW-0231MG from savox. it has 208oz torque and it's waterproof. and because it's a stronger servo you will see that you steering will turn a little more and faster that the stock. yes there are other good budget servos out there but i'm a savox guy. i went through quite a few high tec's, a futaba and some others but the savox has been the longest running one i have . well over a year of hard use with no problems. some have had good results with a 120oz torque servo but (IMO) with the bigger,wider tires some extra oomph never hurts when your out in the mud or trying to climb that tricky spot.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:41 PM
badsanta1114

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to all of this and ro rc cars all together so please if I'm doing this wrong I sorry. With that said I some questions I'd like to ask about setup and upgrade and different parts, Ok so the tooth count on the pinion gear and the the big, lets you have 14 and 82 and say I want to slow it down for slower crawling, witch gear do I change and witch way do I go say 14 up or down. ill start there and thank you for having this and I just hope I'm in the right place.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:39 AM
RustedRC

The Basics of Gearing> Bigger pinion = faster top speed, slower acceleration, more heat, less runtime
> Smaller pinion = Slower top speed, faster acceleration, less heat, more runtime
And to a lesser degree:
> Smaller spur gear = faster top speed, slower acceleration, more heat, less runtime
> Larger spur gear = Slower top speed, faster acceleration, less heat, more runtime
Old 01-04-2017, 06:49 AM
badsanta1114

Thanks so much for the info, My mind just couldn't bring it to me as I thought about it. I'm really glad I found this Forum I plan on reading all of them I can. Thanks again now I can move forward with some upgrades to me crawler and have a better idea what I'm doing.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:56 AM
badsanta1114

I better ask, so i have a 14 tooth spur gear and I want my crawler to move slower more of a crawl so I what to get maybe a 22 or 23 is this the move I need to make. I have a Everest 10, I know its not anything but a starter rig and that's what I wanted to get started with I have plans to build a custom one after I get a little time in. So thanks again for any help you can give me.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:24 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by badsanta1114
I better ask, so i have a 14 tooth spur gear and I want my crawler to move slower more of a crawl so I what to get maybe a 22 or 23 is this the move I need to make. I have a Everest 10, I know its not anything but a starter rig and that's what I wanted to get started with I have plans to build a custom one after I get a little time in. So thanks again for any help you can give me.
Your pinion gear is 14T(which is mounted on the motor shaft), your spur gear is a much bigger gear which transfers motion from the motor pinion gear to the gearbox. If you want to slow it down look for a 10T pinion or a larger tooth spur gear. Your stock spur gear is 87 tooth so your not going to get much bigger on that side.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:10 AM
badsanta1114

Ok I see now and yes its 87 with a 14 on the motor. I've spent lots of time looking for parts that mite interchange, that is with the little I know so far and the and I hope a little common since. So i'll look for a 10t and go from there. I hate to keep taking up your time but do you have any info on making this over to 4wheel steering? From what I've seen there is some power issues and some have burned up some parts. And I'm trying to stay away from that Thanks again from your help you are the man and I'm grateful.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 AM
TheBennyB

Ok, so one way to go about it is to grab the TX/RX combo from redcat. It's pretty cool in that the different steering modes are a simple thumb click and the display on the transmitter lets you know what mode your in. Then you'll need to grab another servo and steering linkage like you already have on the front axle. You may also need the servo mounting plated that sits on top of the axle. I went this route on my venom creeper and it works flawlessly. You won't have independent control of the servo's but with the 4 different modes (front steer only, rear steer only, crab, and 4 wheel steering. it'll keep you busy for awhile. Here's what it looks like on the 1/24 about :35 sec into the first vid and the actual tx/rx combo. If you already have a multi channel TX/RX you'll need the steering linkage, servo mount bracket, and servo.

http://www.redcatracing.com/Sumo-1-24-Scale-Crawler

http://www.redcatracing.com/3CH-24GHZ-RADIO
Old 01-04-2017, 12:58 PM
badsanta1114

Well I have that TXRX on its way already from the reading I found so I'm on track with that , I also have a servo coming with all the hardware as well, My only worry was burning up ESC like I've read, But when it gets here I'm going for it and if it burns up gives me a good reason to get better ones. Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:08 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, for the amount of money I would dump into my rock racer, and try to make it somewhat of a crawler, I may as well just keep my rock racer a rock racer, and get something low budget to crawl with. My reasoning...I don't want to worry about twisting/snapping axles when I shift into high gear on RR.

I'm seriously thinking about this Everest 10 platform for poops and laughs. I'm not "jumping in with both feet" and spending more than $150. It's never too early to have an idea for Christmas gifts on a wishlist. This Redcat crawler is in the mix of three that I've been looking at. A lot can happen between now and...later.

I'm off to do some research. If anyone has a sour note with the Everest 10, or think it's not a good choice, post your ideas, or even PM/Skype me. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:45 PM
RustedRC

I would go for the everest. for the price it's a good choice and a lot of axial parts will fit when something breaks. like a knuckle for example.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:37 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the input. I got a lot of threads to sift through, and making lists of parts (like you said) to source from. Who knows? By the time I think I've got my head on straight, the new Redcat Everest Gen-7 will come out.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:57 PM
George out the box

Default 4wheel steer on a everest 10.

Originally Posted by badsanta1114
Ok I see now and yes its 87 with a 14 on the motor. I've spent lots of time looking for parts that mite interchange, that is with the little I know so far and the and I hope a little common since. So i'll look for a 10t and go from there. I hate to keep taking up your time but do you have any info on making this over to 4wheel steering? From what I've seen there is some power issues and some have burned up some parts. And I'm trying to stay away from that Thanks again from your help you are the man and I'm grateful.
to do 4 wheel steer on your everest 10. Easiest and cheepest way if you are handy with a Dremel and a drill. Make the mount for the servo with a piece of 1" aluminum angle. from home Depot. Cut it with a Dremel. Mount the servo to the back. Take the small tierod ends off the back upper steerer tube, you can take the ends off and thread them onto a link for your steering. Or 5minute epoxy a rod that's long enough into the thread hole ends of the ball joint. Get a Rx/tx that has more than 3 channels or at least has a 3rd channel with a 3 way button. I use a dumbo rc 6 channel Rx/tx it's like 40ish bucks online. Plug the servo into the 4th channel. And just use the thumb switch on the side of the remote to turn it left right straight. That's how I did it. It's literally plug and play with the dumbo remote. It has the steering dual rate right under the flip cover of the remote to set end points front and rear. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:32 PM
Caseywheels

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Your pinion gear is 14T(which is mounted on the motor shaft), your spur gear is a much bigger gear which transfers motion from the motor pinion gear to the gearbox. If you want to slow it down look for a 10T pinion or a larger tooth spur gear. Your stock spur gear is 87 tooth so your not going to get much bigger on that side.
I know pretty old post..New poster.. But I'm looking to slow down my Everest 10 too and this is the only mention I've found of somebody else doing the same... I can't seem to find anything smaller than the stock 14tooth pinion ... Any source on where to find an 0.6mod 10t pinion ?

Last edited by Caseywheels; 02-04-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2023, 09:34 PM
stampede85
My Feedback: (6)

I had one and figured out that the Scx10.1 axles won't work on it.