Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Gmade GR01 GOM Rock Racer

Old 10-18-2017, 06:33 AM
ITSNOTATOYDAMIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gmade GR01 GOM Rock Racer

Hi All,

Anyone try out a Gmade GOM yet? They are still pretty new and I haven't seen other dedicated threads for them (I searched but may have missed).

I was considering an Axial Bomber but I put one of these on order instead. The GOM looks more scale with the chassis-mounted servo and detailed interior. The included 2 speed/dig transmission is a nice feature too. Durability/quality is a mystery, but for most of my R/C's I prioritize "cool" over "good" anyway Speaking of cool, my plans are to ditch the included body panels and fit a polycarbonate pickup truck cab instead. Hope to post some updates when it arrives.

Cheers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gmasde-GR01-GOM-640x300.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2241543
Old 10-19-2017, 08:02 AM
Chris97038

I got my GOM about a week ago. Its a nice machine. The build instructions are not the best. You need to pay close attention to the Locker orientation inside the diff housing. The little tabs are rounded on one side and flat on the other. The go in either way but will only sit properly with the rounded edges on the inside. There is no mention of the orientation in the manual. Also you need to pay close attention to the direction of the trans and t-case gears. They look very similar but only work properly in the correct orientation, the manuals picture are good here though. Its will not be an easy car to service like a Bomber is. Much more like a Losi Rock Rey in this regard. All the electronics upfront makes for a tight fit. I'm running a Castle 1410 and Mamba X. This is the largest ESC you could fit in here. There is a plastic molding that goes across the front of the motor. Any motor bigger then a 1410 will need a lip ground down to clear, not a big deal. It seems really solid and drives good. I am very happy with it. The 2 speed and DIG work really well
Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 AM
ITSNOTATOYDAMIT

Originally Posted by Chris97038 View Post
I got my GOM about a week ago. Its a nice machine. The build instructions are not the best. You need to pay close attention to the Locker orientation inside the diff housing. The little tabs are rounded on one side and flat on the other. The go in either way but will only sit properly with the rounded edges on the inside. There is no mention of the orientation in the manual. Also you need to pay close attention to the direction of the trans and t-case gears. They look very similar but only work properly in the correct orientation, the manuals picture are good here though. Its will not be an easy car to service like a Bomber is. Much more like a Losi Rock Rey in this regard. All the electronics upfront makes for a tight fit. I'm running a Castle 1410 and Mamba X. This is the largest ESC you could fit in here. There is a plastic molding that goes across the front of the motor. Any motor bigger then a 1410 will need a lip ground down to clear, not a big deal. It seems really solid and drives good. I am very happy with it. The 2 speed and DIG work really well
What do you think about the brushless power levels for that chassis? Is it too much? Just right? I'll be starting out with a brushed setup but may upgrade later on.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Mike Flea

I like the idea of putting a truck body on it. Post up when you finish!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Chris97038

My setup is a Castle 1410 3800kv with a Mamba X. Im kinda a speed/power nut but it does not seem overpowered to me. I will be changing my pinion for a little more top end. Haven't really run any decent brushed setups in a long time. The only brushed motor I have run recently is my stock trx4. I swapped it to a Castle setup after 2 or 3 runs.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:34 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty nice looking rig, definitely keeping an eye on this thread. Would like to know how it handles track conditions with regard to body roll and such. If anyone can get it on a track post up some vids please.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:46 AM
ITSNOTATOYDAMIT

The kit arrived yesterday. I'm REALLY looking forward to this one. First impression based on the size of the components is it will be quite a bit bigger than expected. Closer to 1/8 scale than 1/10 scale probably. Not a bad thing, but it will be harder to fit an aftermarket truck body like I planned.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:08 AM
Jay-Em

Got mine in Wednesday. Build took quite a bit of time, indeed due to the relative complexity of the drivetrain.

it went together nicely, no slop in the parts, no moulding flash anywhere. However, itís advisable to grease the screws that go into plastic for a bit, otherwise itís Ďblister timeí in no uncertain way. The nylon/plastic/glassfiber reinforced parts are hard, and screwing in everything takes a bit of power. Even my electric driver was struggling hete&there. Though, truth be told!the material holds a thread pretty well.

niggles:

-Cast pinion...whut??
-geartrain needs clockwise turning motors. That ruled-out my selection of stockspec LRP sensored motors. Same goes for other fixed-timing motors, brushed or otherwise.
-shift servo is completely inaccessible when the car is built. Please make ab-so-lutely sure itís centered correctly. Adjusting that needs the disassembly of a complete side of the car. Not nice Gmade!
-it needs a hefty steering servo. 10kg at the least.
-receiver box is tiny. Forget about fitting a standard more-than-6-channel receiver.
-it nťeds a 3-channel set with distinct 3 separate servo arm positions to use the dig. Otherwise itís dig and 1st gear, or 1st and second gear only.

Further observations : Itís really big. Higher and longer than a Yeti. It crawls as good as it gets. No denying that, but itís squirrily and tippy at even moderate speeds. It needs swaybars in the rear as a standard. And, hopefully, Gmade will offer an open diff in the front for those more interested in ďrock-rŠcingĒ than crawling. Tires are pretty good out of the box. Though a tad too grippy for dry tarmac, or anything like that. But, well, itís an off-road machine, so that was kinda expected.

Despite the niggles, the kit was a joy to build. Youíll have to pay vŤry close attention to the drawings, though. Many parts go in multiple ways, with all kind of results You donít want... gearboxes that wonít close because I put one gear in the wrong way, stuff like that.

Driving it is fun, especially when seeing the sudden increase in speed when shifting. That never gets old.The dig works well too. It takes a bit of getting used to, because the car makes all sorts of protesting noises, but I havenít broken anything yet with the Axial 21t brushed. It remains to bee seen whatíll happen if someone straps-in some serious power. I think Iíll block the dig out. The kit contains parts to do that. I am more of a basher and mild crawler, and never felt the need for a dig.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:51 AM
Tiago0626

Does anyone know how this compares to the Bomber? It looks like its a pain to service due to the tight fit.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Jay-Em

Itís not the tigh fit, but the way the cage is connected to almost everything on the chassis. Itís a dog to wrench on, apart from changing motor and/or pinion (thatís a breeze), Ťvery little bit of wrenching is 10 -different sized- screws at the least and needs removal of large parts.

the Bomber is quite a bit better, but that also suffers from ďtoo many screws-itisĒ Itís not like the Wraith, where 4 screws is all it takes to drop motor and gearbox out. The Bomber is somewhere between Wraith and GOM.

having said that, once the GOM is correctly built, there is very little need to go into the innards. Itís quite sturdy inside. The things that tend to break down, steering servoís, motors, etc, all sit at the front. Easy to get at, buuut.. break a gear in the impressively complex shifting- and dig transmission? Whooboy....
Old 11-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Jay-Em

I had my ďWhy does Gmade hate meĒ moment yesterday. Shifter servo gave up the ghost. 52 screws later (yes, I counted them) I could finally remove the bloody thing without having to scarily bend all sorts of parts out of the way. (Added to that, my TwinHammers decided this was the right moment to Šlso burn through its shifter servo... grrmbll.. whŗt a day...)

My word! Something tells me Gmade never considered the fact that parts break, and designed the whole affair to go together, to never be taken apart again. Even the EXO didnít elicit this much cursing from me. Name:  icon_eek.gif
Views: 2084
Size:  170 Bytes Name:  laugh.gif
Views: 2083
Size:  4.5 KB never thought a car could make me consider rage-quitting.

Itís a tour de force in engineering, a techheads dream design, complex, scale accurate, carefully thought out, impressive, with one tiiiiiny, tiiiiiiny flaw : Hell. On. Earth. For. Wrenching. A bit like all modern cars. Ever tried replacing a front lightbulb on a new Audi? Or VWGolf, for that matter?

Do I hate it? Nope. But itís seriously on its way to be a shelf queen.Too scared of running it hard, too afraid of breaking something in the deep, inaccessible bowels of the thing.