Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Doc's FJ40 TRX-4 Build

Old 10-23-2020, 12:57 PM
DrFeelGood

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Doc's FJ40 TRX-4 Build

Hello everyone. I am a new user here and I thought I would say hello with an introduction and few pics of my current project.
I live in the PNW and have been into RC vehicles since the mid-80's. I took a break for a while but am now back enjoying it with my sons.

I ended up getting a TRX-4 Defender (silver/grey) and promptly started building Pro-Line's 1965 FJ40 body for it. I have been replicating a 1976 FJ40 that I bought back in the 90's. I crawled throughout the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Rocky's and Moab for a decade.

Pro-Line 1965 FJ40

Pro-Line 1965 FJ40 on TRX-4

Pro-Line 1965 FJ40 on TRX-4 crawling

I am still adding bits as they arrive, but the next order of business is weathering. I was going to add a flat clear to the outside with a possible dusting of white pearl on the flat parts to mimic sun faded red paint. To be hones I have never really done that so as always, it will be an experiment.

Any suggestions and/or advise are welcome.

Cheers

Old 10-29-2020, 08:01 AM
DrFeelGood

The track width was not how I wanted it since putting on the wonderful Gmade 1.9" SR04 (white) wagon wheels. The original Traxxas tire/wheel combo, in addition to being a 119mm diameter tire also had a significantly different offset. The Gmade wheel was over double the weight (120gm) and sat significantly deeper on the axle. This, combined with the smaller (107mm) Pro-line BFG Mud T/A made the truck look downright dumpy.

My solution was to add a Samix +8mm offset 12mm hex adapter, (SAMTRX4-4063-8). The problem now is there are very few threads left to hold on to the center axle nut. I had purchased a pair of RC4WD 1/10 Warn Scale Locking Hubs (RC4ZS0720), but since they have no nylon washer, the scale hubs did not like staying on even with the original blue-loctite threads.
I was thinking this may be the case so I ordered a set of MIP TRX-4 4mm Offset Wide Track Kit (MIP18260) at the same time I ordered the Samix spacers. My thinking was that I may use the wide-track kit instead of the thread hiding spacers. Alas, I used them both.

The MIP kit has portal axle stubs that have significantly longer threads. This allowed me to add the Samix +8mm offset weights in addition to the +4mm axles for a total track width increase of +24mm.

The effect of this was to largely negate the wheel offset and put the tires right to the edge of the flares on the back.

I have been accumulating accessories from children's play-sets and cake decorations (camping set) for the next part of the adventure.

Thanks for looking.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:48 AM
MrPaulM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello! Awesome work!
The following users liked this post:
DrFeelGood (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 08:49 PM
DrFeelGood

I added a few bit to Pepe.
Still need to wire in the lighting control for the overhead, rock, and rack mounted reverse lights but I will wait until I put in the body headlights and running lights.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:57 PM
DrFeelGood