Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

tires question

Old 04-16-2005, 11:09 AM
lilcurtis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires question

i recently bought a clodzilla 5 and wanted to possibly put some new tires / rims on it and was wondering what i would need to run these. [link=http://rc4wd.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=962]K-Rock Tires[/link]. Right now in the real crawling world, these tires are being used by most pros so thought it would be cool to put them on a r/c crawler. i just need to know if i need to buy hex adapters and what rims? thanks

EDIT: ok i didnt read full, they fit on t/e-maxx rims so i guess i just need to know where i can find an adapter for clod drive to t-maxx hex.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:12 AM
UtahRacer13

Default RE: tires question

Yes you need hex adaptors, those are maxx tires. I'd get the adapters from rcalloys.com, & get what ever Maxx sized rim you want. Although, they look cool they don't performe the best. You must soften & cut them to get them to work good.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:16 AM
lilcurtis

hmm always hard for me to decide between having the best performance over trying to keep it realistic. so maby ill go with the moabs or something.

ok maby im dumb too but im having a hard time navigating that rcalloys site and cant seem to find the adapters.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:25 AM
UtahRacer13

The K-Rocks will work. But you need to soak them in a bucket of WD-40 or deisel fuel to soften them up. Then you cut every other side lug off. Then you can either cut every other center lug off or just cut the center lugs so that the voids between them is bigger. The moab is a great tire also. They come to life when you narrow the rim about an inch.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:29 AM
lilcurtis

hmm well i dont really want to mod the k-rock because then it would look like a different tire. so as of now i guess ill just wait untill i get my truck here and can play with what i want.

and since ive always been curious, how do you narrow rims without really losing a lot of strength?
Old 04-16-2005, 03:34 PM
UtahRacer13

One easy way is to cut off the outer bead, then put your tire onto the inner bead.

Here's a good tech on how to narrow stock clod rims.

http://utrcrc.com/tech.html
Old 04-16-2005, 06:03 PM
lilcurtis

anyone know where i can find a cheaper pair of maxx sized bead lock rims? dont really feel like shelling out $100 for a pair of aluminum rims. or even if not bead lock, just some ones that look like micky tomson outlaws?