Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

TLT-1 rear servo whacked

Old 04-25-2005, 05:09 PM
sradjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TLT-1 rear servo whacked

I need help! I finally got my New Max Climber all assembled and when I set up my Novak ESC (XRS), my rear rear steering servo just goes all the way in one direction. I am using the Futaba 3PM-FM radio with standard servos, All works good, the steering and throttle are fine, but when I switch over to channel-3 the rear servo turns fully to the other direction. The servo hums when maxxed out like its trying to go some more! I cant even get it to go to the neutral position! Is there a way to set this up for 4-wheel independent steering? There are no instructions!! Please let me know your thoughts. Thank You.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:47 PM
sradjoe

Default RE: TLT-1 rear servo whacked

OK, With some fiddling, I was able to get the servo to neutral. I found out why I cant steer the rear independently, is because with Futabas 3PM-FM, you simply cant. You can however mix your 3rd channel with your steering channel to steer dependently. My advice, is to get a cheaper 2ch radio and use the Y-connector. I only wish I knew this Before buying this overachiever of a radio! At least now I know better. I hope this helps someone wanting to buy a TLT.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:15 AM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

sradjoe,
Truth is VERY few 3 channel radios will do independent 4w steering... on most all 3 channel pistol grip radios the 3rd channel is not proportional so you can't use it to steer unless it's slaved to channel one...and when it is proportional you generally need to use a small knob to steer it with...PIA. really your 3PM and radios like it are the best inexpensive solution to 4w steering even though you can't do independent rear... it gives you servo reverse and end point adj that you won't get with the cheap 2 channel and Y-harness so set up is much easier. if you want more mixing options the 3PK will do crab steer as well as slaved front/rear steer but even it won't give you rear only steer... the best solution is to use a good 2 stick air plane radio on a ground frequency... I'm going to use one of my 9C's for my crawler projects.

John
Old 04-27-2005, 07:33 AM
sradjoe

Thanks for the reply john. I think there is a stick radio by Futaba called 4VWD or something. I wonder if it does the 4 wheel independent steering. Either way, I was told to go to the crawler store and buy the TQ3 transmitter with the addition to steer the rear already built into the grip. Sounds like THATS the way to go. Its cheap enough too,..I think like 65 bucks. But I already bought the Futaba 3PM-FM for twice that much, so I might as well use it.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:03 AM
crawlinmaxx

yes the TQ3 system is the cheapest route for independant 4ws and is very easy to mod if you didn't have the mod done yet. just solder off one switch and solder on a new 3 way momentary switch
Old 04-27-2005, 09:37 AM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

sardjoe,
The TQ3 is a common way to get 4W steering using the 3p switch... you can get a kit to make the mod yourself at the www.thecrawlerstore.com if you already have a TQ3 or two collecting dust like me... the down side to this mod is you only get Full left and right using the switch and it's not linked to the front in anyway nor can you do crab steer if you need it. If your going to spend $65 for a modded TQ3 I'd go the extra money and get the Hitec laser 4 or 6 airplane radio on a ground frequency, you'll be able to have all 3 modes of 4W steering... linked front/rear, crab and front or rear only plus you have an extra channel or two that may come in handy for say a winch, lights, and so on. these radio's give you more bang for your buck than the futaba 4vdr does.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCJG8**&P=0

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCJG9**&P=0

if you have never used a 2 stick it's not that hard and fairly easy to get use to... I fly planes and helis so it's really no big deal to me BUT the first time I used my 9C in a truck talk about a blast from the past... I haven't used anything BUT pistol grip radio's for my car's and trucks since my Muri Big Bear and Tamiya Grasshopper in the 80's!

John