Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Considering Getting Into Crawling

Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Considering Getting Into Crawling

Old 04-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Zedicus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Getting Into Crawling

I'm Considering Giving Crawling a try, I know a Resoble ammount, and If I do try Crawling, I want to start of at as low of a cost as I can, so here's a few questions i have.

What Truck would be best to Start out with? (TXT-1, Clod, ?)
If I go for a TXT-1, What Cassis, Transmission & Suspension Mods are avalable, and wich are the best value for $$$?
Is Brushless worth the Initial Expense for Crawling? (IE: Saving on Maintanance Costs etc)

Thanks![8D]
Old 04-29-2005, 04:00 PM
UtahRacer13

Default RE: Considering Getting Into Crawling

TXT's are excellent trucks to start with, but they are more exspensive. They require very little to crawl with them. Here's a good tutorial on how to build one:

http://www.rccrawler.com/20txt.htm

Brushless is a waste for crawling purposes. Just get a Super Rooster or Tekin Rebel 2 & a lathe motor or a magnetic mayhem, then your set. Check out RCCRAWLER for more info.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Zedicus

Is it Cheaper or More Expensive than Say Getting some Clod Axels & Trannys and a JSP kit?
& what Mod's are avalable for the TXT? (IE: Like ESP & JSP Mods/Transmission Mods etc)
Old 04-29-2005, 10:44 PM
UtahRacer13

TXT is more expensive than getting some clod axles, tires & rims, electronics, & making a chassis or even buying one. As far as mods go for go TXT, most people use the stock parts to make their crawlers. Some use E-maxx trannies. A must for TXT's is too run a GD-600 gear reduction, gives you a really torquey setup. Really, stock txt parts when modded, perform excellent.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:54 AM
Zedicus

Saw some TXT's on ebay yesterday for the $150 area so as soon as I have the cash I think i might order one...[8D]
Old 04-30-2005, 02:40 PM
lilcurtis
My Feedback: (4)

the biggest dif between the 2 is one is a shaft driven and the other has the motors mounted right on the differencials. if you go with a clod, dont get a JSP kit because you will end up spending more trying to get it perfect. something like a gheko kit would work or even try building your own.

i would say the majority of hardcore crawlers i have seen use clod axels because you can stretch them how ever you want and not worry about dropping a shaft. as utah mentioned, check out rccrawler and look at their forums, there is a lot of good info there.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Zedicus

dont clod axels have the disadvantage of the motors getting gunked up easyer with them being directly mounted to the axels?
I dont mind shaft drive, actualy prefer it, & i think i'd rather stick to standard length if I can, i'm not realy planing to go hardcore, just good enough to have fun with.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:23 PM
lilcurtis
My Feedback: (4)

as for the motors getting gunked up i dont know hehe, i havnt had mine long enough. im still debating whether im going to stretch mine or not. stretching has its advantages, but i would have to buy or mak enew links which is the least of my worries right now haha. if you go with a txt, check out this article, might be helpful [link=http://www.rccrawler.com/20txt.htm]TXT crawler[/link]
Old 05-01-2005, 02:18 PM
UtahRacer13

Most people use clod axles because everything is on the axle. That way they have a great cog. A crawler wheelbase of 16-18 inches is sufficient. If you go long on a shafty, just use revo shafts.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:30 PM
RC RAC3R

im also getting interested in the TXT to build a rock crawler.. and after the article on rccrawler.com it seems so easy to mod the TXT...
Old 05-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Dirk Digler

Hey guys. I wrote the article at RCCrawler about the TXT. Yes, you can easily turn a TXT into a very good crawler with those few mods and you can do it cheaply. You just have to fab up a few things an make some mods to an already capable truck. However, once you get into competitions, you will find that Clods dominate the sport. Shaft driven trucks can not do the things clods can do, therefore, if you plan on competing in the future, look into a clod. If you want a very capable crawler but will never be able to win a big event, get the TXT.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Nitro_Evader_Basher

ORIGINAL: Zedicus

I'm Considering Giving Crawling a try.

[Insert starsky & hutch voice] Do It
Old 05-02-2005, 10:36 PM
longhorntraxxas

are there any rtr crawlerS?
Old 05-04-2005, 04:31 PM
UtahRacer13

ORIGINAL: longhorntraxxas

are there any rtr crawlerS?
Crawling is not a big enough sport to have RTR. Any ways, having RTR crawlers would take all the fun out of the sport.

Old 05-04-2005, 04:41 PM
UtahRacer13

ORIGINAL: Dirk Digler

Hey guys. I wrote the article at RCCrawler about the TXT. Yes, you can easily turn a TXT into a very good crawler with those few mods and you can do it cheaply. You just have to fab up a few things an make some mods to an already capable truck. However, once you get into competitions, you will find that Clods dominate the sport. Shaft driven trucks can not do the things clods can do, therefore, if you plan on competing in the future, look into a clod. If you want a very capable crawler but will never be able to win a big event, get the TXT.
It's true that clods usually dominate the comps. But, a well built shafty will do just as good. It's all about the person who builds it. It is easy to build a comp winning clod, but it's a lot more difficult to build a comp winning TXT,Maxx, etc. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:03 AM
SuperCrawler

ORIGINAL: UtahRacer13

ORIGINAL: Dirk Digler

It's true that clods usually dominate the comps. But, a well built shafty will do just as good. It's all about the person who builds it. It is easy to build a comp winning clod, but it's a lot more difficult to build a comp winning TXT,Maxx, etc. Just my $.02 worth.
Not a chance.