Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Nitro Rockcrawler?

Old 05-17-2005, 10:26 PM
zr1s10
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Rockcrawler?

Anyone got one?

I was thinking mabye one of my old tmaxxes. Get diff spools for the front and rear, Lock the tranny in 2nd, and get a really high T spur gear for low speed high torque.

Ideas?
Old 05-18-2005, 04:47 AM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Nitro Rockcrawler?

Nitro's make poor crawlers... spool up time with the clutch kill's low end grunt and the ability to move slow with any power. You can make a T into an OK crawler/rock basher with spools front/rear, biggest spur(72T IIRC) smallest bell(15T IIRC) tweak the clutch to engage LATE and lock it into FIRST gear for the most torque( I'd leave the tranny as is) DOWNSIDE'S are it will never be a good crawler, you'll have to keep a close eye on temps and you'll have to be extra careful jumping/bashing around with it due to the spool's... or carry lot's of diff screws, gears, half shaft's and go like hell till it brakes

the best(IMHO) out of the box nitro crawler/basher is this
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145642.asp
it's still not what I would call a "good" crawler.

John
Old 05-18-2005, 08:22 AM
thumpin15s

jsn hit the nail on the head. Basically, nitro is just bad for crawling. If you want to make an all out crawler, go electric. If you want something that can just kind of make its way over some rocks, then yea you can throw some spools in your maxx and lock it in first gear.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:28 PM
nitromacguyver

XTM X Factor?
Old 05-19-2005, 02:06 AM
zr1s10
My Feedback: (2)

That thing looks sick!!! But for under 400, whats the quality like?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:11 AM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

ZR:

The X-factor II is nice LOOKING... I can't offer much other than that as I've never seen it run. The X-factor's that I have seen were/are a good truck but it had it's problems like most all of the trucks we run(IS THERE A PERFECT TRUCK???) anyway the old X had a weak reverse unit called the R-box that was to say the least a POS, the II offers reverse as an up grade and a good one from what I hear... the diff's were fairly solid on the old one and the II's are supposed to be beefier... it offers some other "hop Ups" on the II the the X didn't have that are listed on the site. all and all it's about the only nitro that has the right mix to make a crawler... even if it is nitro worst case is you get one don't like the way it handles on nitro and convert it to electric take a look over on this board for more info on the X II

http://globalservices.globalhobby.co...orum/index.php

as for over all XTM quality... it's not bad... biggest problem is getting parts if your LHS does not stock them and you don't happen to live within 20min of 2 hobby people shops like me.

John

forgot all about the RCU review of the X-II... http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=368

watch the video for some rock crawling action(insert chuckle/sarcasm)
Old 06-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Lardman

I have an X-2, wheelimania! If any of you are considering buying an X-factor be sure to buy an XTM wheeli-bar so you don't tear up your exaust. And consider some new tyres aswell. I have had atleast 7 nitros in all and the X-factor is by far the funnest. I don't considere taking it off any big jumps because 4 link susp. + big ass jump = trouble. There are a fair amount of hop-ups to go along with it including the 8 shock set-up. Also thing thing is pretty damn fast, and has the most low end torque I have ever seen in any other MT. The X-factor is based on real MTs suspension wise. This is an all around great truck aswell as a great nitro crawler!
CHEERS, Lardman
Old 06-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Ahab

RCU reviewed the XTM and as with most RCU reviews there is a Vid attached.
in the vid the guy trys to crawl over a pile of rocks - he gets over it - but with nowhere near the ease and grace an e-crawler would have.... and all the revs it takes shows how quickly the motor would get hot on a crawler course...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=368
Old 06-07-2005, 05:09 AM
RC Collector

ORIGINAL: jsn
all and all it's about the only nitro that has the right mix to make a crawler... even if it is nitro worst case is you get one don't like the way it handles on nitro and convert it to electric
That's what I'm going to do with mine.

This vid was originally posted in another thread. It really shows the drawbacks of a nitro crawler, no matter what you do to the chassis.

http://www.x-faction.com/videos/cmannitroxf-small.wmv

Old 07-07-2006, 05:08 PM
byebye

Gonna need to do some homework here.....but as a collective, agaist the naysayers.....it can be done.......
Old 07-07-2006, 07:27 PM
mechanicalbob
My Feedback: (49)

It can be done, look at heli engines for better cooling and more low end grunt, they have a cooling fan and shroud. It can be modified to fit in a truck. As for low end gearing a custom gearbox will be needed to be made to get a good low ratio. As for electrics go they can only get in to the 70:1 to 80:1 ratios as far as I know. With this and some of the vids I have seen of them when they get on the power the have a lot of wheel spin and takes away traction. So if anyone out there in electric land can post there FINAL gear ratios I would be interested to see what they are at. To make a great nitro crawler it has to have a ratio in the range of 114:1 or better, I have the math done the gears picked out and am in the middle of making a tranny case to stuff it all in. Yes Nitro will cralw and I should have it done in late summer.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:28 PM
riffrafff

ORIGINAL: highoctaneuser

Gonna need to do some homework here.....but as a collective, agaist the naysayers.....it can be done.......
They never said it couldn't be done. Just that the nature of the beast is not suited for scale rock crawling. They're not saying nay because they're mean, or because they want to see some project fail; they're merely pointing out that glow engines do not lend themselves to high-torque, low RPM work. It's not because they hate nitro...it's a matter of torque curves, and controllability, and RPMs. And practical limits like clutch-engagement, and cooling issues.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:16 PM
byebye

All problems that CAN be solved. Just because it may be beyond your resources or interests, don't think that there aren't others with the resources, drive, and desire to get it done....cause if there hadn't been.....you wouldn't be playing with your electric crawler.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:32 PM
dezfan

Build it, overcome all of the issues that have been listed several times, prove that it can be competitive, reliable, and affordable.

Then and only then will I beleive it.

Possible, yes. Practical, not at the moment.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:05 AM
RC Collector

ORIGINAL: highoctaneuser
All problems that CAN be solved. Just because it may be beyond your resources or interests, don't think that there aren't others with the resources, drive, and desire to get it done....cause if there hadn't been.....you wouldn't be playing with your electric crawler.
Exactly ... those with the resources, interest, drive and desire decided to build an electric crawler.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:24 PM
byebye

And now some of us are looking for an even more challenging task, electric was just TOO easy.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:36 PM
dezfan

Well, I wish you luck.

Meanwhile I will be out enjoying my crawler. Hope to see you on the rocks someday.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:49 PM
byebye

And this "BLOCK" button is just too cool.....I ain't gotta read NONE of the posts I don't want too.......

It works just as good as not even posting in a thread where you can't or won't add anything helpful......same reason I don't post in the electrical threads.......cool....just TOO COOL!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:02 PM
dezfan

Talk about a closed mind!

If if your not reading my post, how do you know it they are or are not adding anything. [X(]

What a hypocrite!