Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

I want to get in to crawin!!

Old 05-19-2005, 05:52 PM
nitrofreak06
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to get in to crawin!!

I am new at this so i want to know what i need to start out and what i need to do so that this will work well.Ok people my budget is low and i only have 150.00 to spend on this. Ok now what i want to know is what can i get to start out with? (remember that I'm new at this).
Old 05-19-2005, 06:59 PM
crawlinmaxx

Default RE: I want to get in to crawin!!

well if you want a crawler and only have $150, you better start selling and trading stuff to get more money
Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 PM
nitrofreak06

ok well you didnt anserw my qustions but yea. ok well is there any type of crawer i need?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:31 PM
rcjunky22
My Feedback: (2)

the bottom line for a quality crawler is about 350...so ive heard. Im a newb in the crawling department, but it looks realy fun and it looks like something i could get into...
-Andy
Old 05-20-2005, 05:20 AM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Get a TLT-1 kit for around $100 from ultimate hobbies or ebay, build it stock for now using the mod's outlined in here http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=482 Motor, ESC, servo, receiver figure another $75 if you go CHEAP... hopefully you already have some of these items. once your up and running/crawling there a BUNCH you can do with the TLT... start off with a stretch using T-maxx turnbuckles and shocks... throw in a set of Offna 2.2 rims and Masher 2000's for a whole new truck... build a new chassi, drop in a stampede tranny and set up 4WS for a even better truck... there's not much you can't do crawling wise with a good set of TLT axles, it's a helluva of start for not much cash... of course like most things in this hobby the start is the cheap part... before ya know it your $100 TLT is now $500+

Good luck

John
Old 05-20-2005, 07:02 AM
nitrofreak06

now that sounds easy to do!! ok well does tower hobbies sell the kit?
Old 05-20-2005, 05:16 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Tower sell's the rockclimber version... it has a few up grades over the Rockbuster version I'm talking about... the extra cost $135 vs. $100 is not worth it IMHO. Get the rockbuster... it uses the same axle except it has a slightly weaker output... when and IF you break the one that comes with your rockbuster the replacement will be the upgraded stronger version... drops in. the climber also makes it easier to use standard 6 cell packs... you can do the same on the rockbuster. go here... http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/index.php? and here... http://www.one18th.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156 you'll find all kind's of info and ideas for the TLT based trucks.

John

on the rccralwer link... go into the "small scale crawlers" forum thats where the TLT's are discussed for the most part... don't forget to use the SEARCH button!!!!!
Old 05-20-2005, 07:07 PM
8ball420

IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO CRAWING THEN GET YOUR BROKE-ASS OF YOUR WALLET AND BUY A REAL CRAWLER.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:49 PM
nitrofreak06

a real one or a rc one?? smart ass.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:40 PM
eightball258
Banned

just ignore him he talks **** to every one
Old 05-22-2005, 06:58 PM
TerribleOne

$150 aint gonna get you much

If you go tlt kits are about 100 bucks....but just the axles are the only useable thing in the kit.....stock chassis, wheels/tires,tranny...all crap

you best bet would be to find a stock clod, or just the axles for under 100 on ebay....then just make a chassis yourself

but you will still need motor/s which are bout $20 each, wheels/tires lil under $100 bucks, esc (super rooster) $87-$115, cheap 3ch radio (tq3 are good with rear steer switch mod) $15-25, servos $35-$100 ea

Old 05-22-2005, 07:26 PM
nitrofreak06

i was looking at the clod but it looks like it is old. or it looks like it would break easyly.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:40 PM
rockdragon

If you're seriously looking into the crawling clod and you also have some metal work experience. I know [link=http://www.rccrawler.com/]...this place.... [/link] where all serious crawler guys are and they all have lots of knowledge to share with everyones. BTW [link=http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9848]... here...[/link] is where you can start off.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:40 AM
crawlinmaxx

ORIGINAL: nitro demon

ok well you didnt anserw my qustions but yea. ok well is there any type of crawer i need?

it doesn't matter what truck you want, you will still need more than $150 as the other guy also said

you can make any truck a good crawler, but it takes cash. I fabbed my whole truck and my buddys' truck and it has costed over $150. what gets ya is the electronics then rims and tires. the rest is pretty cheap. but if you build a cheap rig, prepare to break alot. you will need to spend more cash to get close to a rig that doesn't break as much. remember, you get what ya pay for

here is a pic of my buddys' truck i am building right now for him. he probably has $250-$300 in it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20789.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	275415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54089.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	275416  
Old 05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
nitrofreak06

well i really dont have that kinda cash but nice truck tho[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-03-2005, 09:31 PM
RC SNYPER
My Feedback: (1)

i just bought a tlt and already have over $300 into it and i haven't even put it completely together yet. Imo you should just search around for a set of tlt or clod axles and then get some electronics and fab your own chassis and parts.

Kenny
Old 06-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Ahab

I have fancied adding a crawler to my garage for quite some time now, but whenever I try and total up all the stuff I would need to build a truly capable one the total $$$ involved puts me off.
Crawling may be the most expensive branch of electric RC short of a heli! - by the time you have a suitable 3ch+ radio 2 motors 14V, an ESC that can handle both motors, 2 high torque servos, Huge MT wheels, and then all the kits you have to buy just to use 1 1 or 2 components....everything you need seems to be the most expensive option out there.
- the only saving grace is that once you have a good one built you arent likely to break much as 4mph crashes arent likely to snap much.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:46 PM
cardude18

if you want to start clawing. first you will need a 4 wheel drive truck. then lock the diff and if its a indipendent you will have to lock that to. then start making it sit higher and make a 4 link and all that the good stuff so go start.